1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

There is no case for keeping Unai Emery anymore

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by NLDISRED, Jun 6, 2019.

1. gills4prem

gills4prem Active Member

Think poch should be arsenal no.1 target?????

Would top sol Campbell especially if he was successful..

gooner4ever likes this.
  2. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

Hard to say though...

Spurs have been cut-throat for years and its gained them 0 recent trophies. United have been equally harsh since Ferguson and they have gone backwards.

I still think our best bet is to give managers time and backing. With Emery however I think its fairly clear - no major improvements are going to happen.

3. TheBear

Does it?! .. Before his last two jobs Mourinho had arguably the best managerial record in the game.
    Maybe he has lost his touch.. maybe he will find it again.

I cant call it either way - but ultimately I think they are more likley to win the league with Mourinho. (probably more likley to have a terrible Season also)

4. BrunelGooner

BrunelGooner Well-Known Member

Loads of reports this evening saying the players have made it clear they've lost belief in Emery.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
  5. white_gunner

white_gunner Well-Known Member

My money is on Arteta or Ljungberg as replacement.

not that I agree with those choices, but I think after the “experience” of Emery, the board will go for more of a gamble.

Allegri for me, but I doubt it will happen.

6. TheBear

I think Arteta is the most likley candidate also.

It's an interesting option he's learnt from the best in the game but his lack of real experince is worrying. Still I highly doubt we will be any worse off. If I was a betting man - im pretty sure we will see better football and climb higher up the table with Arteta in charge.

7. afcftw

afcftw Well-Known Member

I’d give Arteta a chance. If he’s picked up enough from guardiola he could do a great job. And if it’s too big of a job for him too quick he can’t do worse than Emery!

8. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Guardiola speaks very highly of him and says that he will make a brilliant manager.

9. blukyt

blukyt Well-Known Member

He'd hardly say otherwise in fairness

10. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

True.

11. white_gunner

white_gunner Well-Known Member

One worry with arteta - will he fix the defense?

I think we’ll rediscover our attacking threat under him but our defense will still be ****.

gooner4ever likes this.
  12. TheBear

Not necessarily. Peps side defend well.

13. gills4prem

gills4prem Active Member

Peps team plays as a team one unit.... Exactly what we need

TheBear likes this.
  14. TheBear

Arteta is a risk for sure.

If I were to choose I would go.. Allegri/Simeone.. even Eren Ten Hag.

But Arteta could be a great move. It just depends how much he has learned from Guardiola and how goiod he is at implementing those footballing ideas.

15. BrunelGooner

BrunelGooner Well-Known Member

I think we need to take one step at a time. Whoever we get in, we can't expect them to transform us instantaneously. Our squad is unbalanced, lacking confidence, has no motivation and are struggling to get the sheer basics right. For me, I just want to be entertained watching Arsenal again as we have been dreadful to watch for almost an entire year now. With the players we have, it's not acceptable to be as defensive-minded as we are, particularly as we are no good at defending.

People say Arteta is a huge risk, and that is true, but these younger coaches tend to be more flexible and progressive than the old guard. Also, Allegri is a risk too. He's had significant wealth and resources advantages over the whole of Serie A up, meaning they've been able to dominate that division with ease. He may improve us defensively, but I don't know whether he'll make us easy on the eye.

Either way, regardless of who it is we get in next, I hope that we still have something to fight for. Because right now, the season looks like it could be all but over for us by December.

16. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Last bit first, we'll qualify from our Europa group so we've definitely got that to concentrate on in the new year. Also remember the 3rd round of the FA cup doesn't even start until Jan. So if we do get a new manager in over xmas, then he will have two trophies to concentrate on as well as aiming to get top 4.

As for who it is. Anybody coming in is going to have a tough time on their hands getting this squad of players motivated and organised, as we are a shambles at the moment. My first choice at this moment would be Pochettino, because we've seen what he can do with a group of good but not brilliant players. I think it's highly unlikely that he'll come though.

Do we really want Allegri ? He's got a great track record in Italy, but I think the board will want somebody who knows the premier league so that suggests that Arteta would be their first choice. I think fans would also be a bit more patient with Arteta, so he'd get a free hit for the rest of this season, which could just help to settle things down a bit until we can regroup and rebuild in the summer.

17. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

Bought terribly.

18. TheBear

who did?

19. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

That Spanish geezer getting Krusty and Pepe in.

20. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

Impossible to judge the ability of a lot of our players right now, especially the new ones. No-one is going to be a true version of themselves under Emery. We all know what Luiz can and can't do. But Pepe... who knows. Could end up Coutinho... could end up Gervinho. But he needs to actually play under a proper manager to know what he can do. Oxlade looked rubbish until he played under a proper manager.

Lots of our players look not good enough. They might well not be, or it might be that their ability might be being masked.

gooner4ever and luvgonzo like this.