1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic There is still kindness in the world.

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by invermeremike, Mar 17, 2021.

1. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

Even in these dark times the kindness of people makes me think that at least they still care when you are down on your luck.

My brother Bob suffered a stroke while teaching in China in January and has been in hospital and rehab since that time but now they want him repatriated within the next few weeks. To say that is a difficult task would be an understatement but my niece has got the process underway with help from consular services and a fund raising site to cover the high cost of a medical evacuation. Within six hours of it's start the target was met and one of my brother's ex-pupils donated over 10K to the cause saying that Bob's teaching career had such an affect on so many people, including himself, that he wanted this much admired man to come home to his family as soon as possible.

In these troubled times how wonderful it felt to know that so many people still care about the important things in life and are prepared to step up to lend their support. I am just on my way to the bank to send money to my niece but about 10 minutes ago I got her address, realizing I had no idea where she lives, and was pleasantly surprised to see she lives in BS6 which made me think that perhaps things will all work out for the good.

We will get through all the adversities thrown our way as long as we stay the course and there are still good people in our world.

2. Jiffie

Jiffie Well-Known Member

What an uplifting tale, you are right we sometimes lose sight of the good that still exists in the world, especially when all the media feeds us negativity and finger pointing.

Best of luck to your brother and your family in getting him home safely and hopefully eventually to some form of recovery and normality.

Thanks for sharing.

3. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

Comforting to read, wishing your brother well, what a positive story, great effort and successful result, cracking.

4. invermeremike

I wanted to share the situation but was wary that some may think it was a call for donations. That was never the idea and it hit me quite hard when I saw the news item yesterday on the BBC News Worcester webpage and realized it was my brother, even though I already knew he had suffered a stroke. His condition is not very good but if he is fit to fly then the repatriation will start getting underway and I hope he can return to his family soon.'

Thanks for caring Jiffie.

https://www.bbc.com/news/england/hereford_and_worcester

Last edited: Mar 17, 2021
  5. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

It shows the milk of human kindness hasn't always gone sour in these difficult times.
    I wish your brother a full recovery and a speedy trip home

6. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

Good luck to your brother Mike - my thoughts and prayers are with him and your family.
    Out of interest, where in China was he teaching? My eldest daughter has been in Shenzhen doing the same thing for the past 4 years.

7. Jiffie

Jiffie Well-Known Member

My pleasure Mike and don't be shy if more is needed, I would certainly donate, no problem, as I said it's really good to see that sometimes there is a spark of humanity in the world and not the normally rancid type of news reporting agenda we have in the world at present.

Please keep us updated.

8. invermeremike

From the latest I've heard the go fund me has more than reached it's target, which is remarkable and it shows me how well respected my youngest brother is in his career. Regrettably we weren't in any kind of regular contact with me being here in Canada but nevertheless our family ties can never be broken. When I was a young boy it was my responsibility to keep Bob safe so I felt lost when I could not be there when his greatest need arose but remembering the time he and I spent together either on the beach at Burnham or climbing Brent Knoll keeps me going in these difficult times.

Thanks to you all for your kind thoughts and I will update when I know more.

P.S. to bcfcred. I believe he worked in Yangzhou or somewhere close to Shangai because they did talk about transferring Bob to there due to his condition but he was kept in a local rehab hospital.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2021
    bcfcredandwhite and Jiffie like this.
  9. MassiveAttack

MassiveAttack Well-Known Member

Thank you for sharing with us, 'your friends'. Hope everything goes well and wishing your brother a speedy recovery.<hug>

10. realred1952

realred1952 Well-Known Member

Best wish's from here... these medi vac planes are amazing and usually non stop flying with a lot of cases needing flights… they cost a fortune which is why a flight is so expensive, so very comforting to know people, including strangers dip into their pockets to assist. Hopefully there will not be to much of a delay in getting into the air ………. god speed

11. invermeremike

Thanks John.