1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Things I'd like to know: no.1 and no.2

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by Bustino74, Sep 26, 2011.

1. Bustino74

Bustino74 Thouroughbred Breed Enthusiast

There are a few things (actually there's probably loads :emoticon-0102-bigsm) I've never understood that you clever chaps might be able to help me with.

no 1. Sangster and Coolmore
    When did Sangster drift away from his chums at Coolmore and why did it happen? At one time he seemed at least 50% of the partnership and then suddely there didn't seem a link.

no 2. Dickinson and Manton
    A link with the first but exactly what happened between Sangster and Michael Dickinson in '86/'87. I do remember Dickinson not running any horses and then when he did start running some they were about a furlong behind in 6f races. BUT what exactly happened?

2. SwanHills

SwanHills Well-Known Member

Bustino: There is an article/obituary in The Times of April 9th, 2004, which may or may not answer your questions, in particular No.2. Here's a paragraph on Page 2 of the online copy of the article:

Quote:

In 1986, he paid £18 million for the historic Manton stable in Wiltshire and installed the successful young National Hunt trainer, Michael Dickinson, to operate it as a private establishment. However, it was not a success. After a conflict of personalities, Barry Hills replaced Dickinson a year later and Manton became a public stable once again, with only the majority of horses owned by Sangster. “We’re all allowed one mistake in life,” he grittily told the press. “The thing is not to make it again.” Later still, the stable was put up for sale.

Unquote.

3. SwanHills

SwanHills Well-Known Member