1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Thinking about Songs

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by Steven Toast, Mar 13, 2011.

1. Steven Toast

Steven Toast Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure there was a thread regarding Hull City songs, but I couldn't find it. I have noticed that over the course of this season our singing voices at the KC have, for whatever reason, started to fade away. This is probably due in part to the choice of chants and tunes we have, because I can't really think of a reason not to sing/chant at a football match.

The Elvis song at the beginning is a nice touch, but nobody really joins in until "falling in love with you", despite the lyrics being up there on the screen. The downside to this is, of course, that the away fans then join in on the song, which isn't the idea at all. If it is our "club song", then they shouldn't sing along as well! Can't stop them of course, it just bugs me when they join in.

The chants of "Yorkshire" are ok, but it's like stating the obvious, rather than it being a chant. I imagine the away fans saying "Yes, we know you are from Yorkshire. Well done, have a toffee".

I like the Sloop John B song, but there are a small contingent of South Stand fans who sing "I'm freezing my tits off, I wanna go home." Well, **** off home then, would be the simple answer to that!

So after that little bitching session, I pondered a while as to what to sing instead. Sadly, as I sit in a sea of old people (and one old South Stander who can't help but shout "break his ****ing legs" or referred to Scott Sinclair as a "cocoa faced ******") who don't break out into song, it will probably never catch on. Still, this song was one my grandfather used to sing down the pub with his mates, used to make me laugh because I couldn't understand a word of it. The song is called "On Ilkla Moor Baht'at", or "On Ilkley Moor without a hat". I don't think it is used by any other club (could be wrong) and seeing as we are from Yorkshire, may fit alright. It is in fact the official "county anthem" of Yorkshire. If you have a stand full of Yorkshire men singing in Yorkshire dialect at the away fans, it'd be cracking.

Lyrics are on the Wikipedia page here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_Ilkla_Moor_Baht_'at

Any opinions of the songs we have at the minute?

2. kirkellatiger

kirkellatiger Well-Known Member

It would be great if we could get some of the older songs back into fashion. As I'm only 20 I dont know any from the 60's, 70's and 80's but the crowd certainly needs a lift. The NE corner sang one at the game against Cardiff which I didn't recognise. Had a bit at the end similar to the "We are the kempton boot boys" song.

3. amberosia

amberosia Member

What a ridiculous ideaIt may be a Yorkshire song but it is a Wessie song. Have you ever heard anyone from East Yorkshire saying anything like bah tat, or thee? Years ago, before football chants as such started, Leeds United crowds used to sing it before games as Ilkley Moor is near Leeds. that alone should put the idea to bed.

However, anyone else old enough to remember Bill Oddie singing this on TV, with the 2 backing singers and Joe Cocker's backing band, the Grease Band? Saw it in a pub in Leeds in 1969, it was a great parody as Oddie even looked like joe Cocker in it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMaB0cqwcvI

4. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

Here's one that I bet hardly anyone remembers(to the tune of Bladon Races):

Oh me lads, you should have seen their faces,
    Travelling down the Boothferry Road, to see the City aces,
    All the lads and lasses there with all their smiling faces,
    Travelling down the Boothferry Road......to see the City aces.

You used to be able to take a wooden rattle into games back then(am I sounding old?).

We also used to do a great rendition of 'just like the tree that's standing by the Humber's side, we shall not be moved'.

5. Steven Toast

I knew Ilkley was near Leeds, but we could change it to "Standing in Paragon Station without a hat" - I think that's the coldest place I've ever been and I was born in Torshavn, in the Faroe Islands. The "aces" song is good, I know they sing it at Walsall as I went to a few games with a friend, it's easy and it's catchy.

6. johnfirth

johnfirth Active Member

Think the song you are talking about goes something like

I'm a knock kneed chicken your a bow legged hen
    I have'nt had me hole since I dont know when
    We walk with a wiggle and we like to have a ****
    We are the Kempton Boot Boys

Now they might not be the words but I remember them singing something like that very well

Another was
    Ei Ei Ei Ei
    Mckecknie is better than Yashin
    Waggy is better than Eusebio
    And ( insert team name here) are in for a thrashing

We used to stick our scarves above our head and sing you'll never walk alone as well

Also after a goal we always sang "it's all gone quiet over there"

Oh lord I'm showing my age now

7. amberosia

amberosia Member

Bladon Races, probably the oldest of all songs sung at football. A shame we could never have one of our own like that.
    Once saw on an FC forum some idiot complaining that Wigan had nicked "their" song, which turned out to be that song. When I pointed out it was a Newcastle song from decades ago and that all songs at rugby, with the exception of Old Faithful, were football songs originally, I was informed that they weren't. they were, apparently, "terrace songs". My reply that yes , indeed they all were terrace songs, football terraces, and I'd be interested to know any original rugby ones which had been copied by football fans the topic was locked. Sensitive souls some of the rugby lot.

8. x

x Well-Known Member

sorry x gets cross and shouts and stamps and has since edited.

THIS is the one played at boothferry park and the kc: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvI6AI031gI

THIS is the elvis version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5V430M59Yn8

9. Steven Toast

X:

I said it's an Elvis song. As you just posted, he has done a version. And you are quite right, it's Andy Williams, but I only know it as an Elvis song, hence why I put it. So not an idiot.....

10. x

x Well-Known Member

Here's one that I bet hardly anyone remembers you havin a lauigh?

11. x

x Well-Known Member

sorry i just needed to slam some doors.

12. Steven Toast

X:

It's alright pal. I was the same when Paul Merson used to call Zayatte "Zanetti" and Folan "Forlan". It did my tits in. But then, he has done a lot of drugs.

13. Steven Toast

Not sure how weird the stewards are about swearing, but I always enjoyed singing this one at away games so it might be more effective at home.

[To the tune of the Addams Family theme song]

"Your sister is your mother
    Your father is your brother
    You only **** each other
    The Millwall family"

Replace Millwall with opposition club. Think it was Shrewsbury away I first heard it.

14. Hank Scorpio

Hank Scorpio Well-Known Member

That Andy Williams version was played at Wembley, if i remember correctly.

The golden oldies were sung at Wigan in the cup match last season. There weren't very many of us there but the old stuff, although not always familiar to me as i'm 23, was certainly better then the same old "c'mon you Hull!" or the "Geovanni City's number 10" chant we always sang back then.

15. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

Seems to be a lot of young 'uns on here....

16. x

x Well-Known Member

sorry keep forgetting i know different stuff due to advancing years.

17. Jerel Ifil

Jerel Ifil Well-Known Member

And please, no-one suggest that "we love you, we love you, we love you and that's the way we follow" song that everyone sings nowadays. For the sake of Yorkshire football fans not looking ****.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2014
  18. prideofyorkshire

You're spot on. West Yorkshire song, no way in hell we can sing that!