1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Thoughts on the England Squad

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by ThaiCanary, Mar 27, 2016.

1. ThaiCanary

ThaiCanary Well-Known Member

I have only seen highlights so it doesn't really count for much I guess, so am interested to know how this very odd looking England team got on over 90 minutes.

Anyone watch it in full?
    Why did they win?
    Is the Euro finals look?

2. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I watched it, was a very un-English performance! It felt more like a Premier League performance. High pressing, creating chances and signs that this squad can gel and produce better. Germany had an early goal wrongfully ruled out, but then Butland was clearly injured before their first so that cancels out. Decent second goal by Germany.

Kane's goal was quality, created something from nothing, and it wouldn't surprise me if Vardy's backheel was his first touch.

In terms of individual performances, Kane and Alli were superb. Kane led the line well, and Alli was involved in everything good for England going forwards. He looked like he'd been playing at this level his whole career. Dier was quietly effective, capped with a good goal, and Danny Rose at LB really deserves a mention for a great display.

If anything, it's the more senior players who should be worried. Cahill was fragile, and Henderson anonymous, he contributed little in defence or going forwards.

If I was picking a squad/starting XI now:

Hart
    Clyne Stones Smalling Rose
    Dier Noble
    Lallana Alli Sterling
    Kane

Sterling probably at most risk there from Vardy or Welbeck.

12 extra squad members: Butland, Forster, Walker, Cahill, Jones, Gibbs/Bertrand, Milner, Henderson, Barkley, Vardy, Welbeck, Oxlade-Chamberlain

3. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

I didn't watch the whole game, but it was certainly one of the best England performances I've seen in years. Agree with DH that the senior players not in the squad should be VERY afraid of losing their places. PLEASE can we only have Rooney as a sub (if at all)?????

Edit - apologies DH, as you haven't even got Rooney in your squad.

DHCanary and canary-dave like this.
  4. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

I only watched the first half and I was impressed by our game of high pressing rather than sitting back inviting them on. Slightly disappointed by the number of times we were in a good, attacking position and moved the ball backwards sometimes all the way back to our keeper.

Saw their disallowed goal and was jealous that NCFC never have that sort of luck. If Roy can stop himself returning to choose the old guard, then I think the future is looking bright!

5. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Therein lies the problem!!

canary-dave likes this.
  6. ThaiCanary

okay, after reading the comments here and on the QPR board it would seem that everyone is more than happy to see a group of young, hungry players given a run out, which happened to turn over our fiercest rivals in world football.

As CD says, can Roy keep sufficient faith to put them out for the first Euro Champs game.

7. goldeneadie

goldeneadie Well-Known Member

The what board? Why would any sane, you are sane I hope, person go on there of their own free will? And why would they admit doing so.

KIO likes this.
  8. ThaiCanary

Only visit to read the latest drama :emoticon-0148-yes:

9. goldeneadie

goldeneadie Well-Known Member

You live in Thailand, FFS, so many more interesting, and worthwhile, things to do. Have you read Steven Leathers "Private Dancer" by the way? Superb read about ex-pat life in Thailand.

10. ilovedelia

ilovedelia Well-Known Member

Have to agree with Dave re the back passing, 5/6 occasions the ball went back to our keeper from attacking positions, a couple of times from the edge of the Greman penalty area! Very disappointing. I just don't get that, why doesn't one of the outfield players kick it forward, that's all the keeper does, and we generally lose position. Smalling looked very average, Henderson looked clueless at times and didn't like Cahill lost his player too many times. Apart from that a lot better than we've been used to.

11. ThaiCanary

Read lots of related books but no, not that one.

I did stuff yesterday, today I am chilling <cheers>

12. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

13. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

14. monty987

monty987 Well-Known Member

That dissallowed goal would have stood if it was scored against us in the European championships though !

15. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Judging by Roy's comments here that Rooney "deserves better", I think we can call that a resounding no.

16. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

What a mistake!!! <doh>

Edit - I've just seen this article - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35908204!!! Is Woy an ostrich or something?????
    Just see this as well - "
    HARRY KANE claims England have a huge selection headache over Wayne Rooney.
    Spurs star Kane and Jamie Vardy scored in England’s 3-2 win in Germany— but boss Roy Hodgson still backed his crocked skipper. Spurs star Kane and Jamie Vardy scored in England’s 3-2 win in Germany— but boss Roy Hodgson still backed his crocked skipper!!!!

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepag...lection-is-now-a-problem-for-Roy-Hodgson.html

Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
    canary-dave likes this.
  17. ThaiCanary

I just don't get it. When did Wayne Rooney ever appear in a major game? The vast majority of his goals (in addition to lots of penalties) has been against the likes of San Marino, Lithuania etc.

How any England manager can stand by him is beyond me. At least when we had the likes of Owen, Shearer and Lineker, you had the belief that they would do the business against the better teams more often than not.

18. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

<applause> <hitsnailonheademoticon>

ilovedelia likes this.
  19. chinacanary

chinacanary Well-Known Member

Depending on who is in our group Rooney will be a valuable sub to bolster up the midfield as we defend a 3-0 lead over Sweden.

JM Fan likes this.
  20. Forgot_My_Lines

Forgot_My_Lines Well-Known Member

First half was alright, but same old England. Good in sections, but just not good enough.

Second half was massively pleasing. Fight, flair, determination and actually finishing off chances with 3 really good goals.

Promising.

oldcanariesfan and JM Fan like this.