1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Three Peaks Challenge for Cancer Research UK

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by jacksk1, May 14, 2019.

1. jacksk1

jacksk1 Well-Known Member

Hi all,

For those who take part in the Prediction League then you will have seen me mention this on there but next week (22-24 May) I am taking part in a Three Peaks Challenge in aid of Cancer Research UK.

The challenge is to climb each of the highest peaks in England (Scafell Pike), Scotland (Ben Nevis) and Wales (Snowdon) over 3 consecutive days (I'm not mad enough to attempt it in 24 hours...!! :emoticon-0102-bigsm).

If anybody would like to make a donation to support my challenge and help this great cause then please use the link below to my Just Giving page:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/kevinjackson3peaks

Thanks in advance,
    jacksk1.

2. SaintinSerbia

SaintinSerbia Annoying Twat

have you climbed any of them before?

I did the 24 hour Welsh 3 peaks about 20 years ago (Snowdon, Cadre Idris and Pen-y-fan) That was fun. Last year I tried Ben Nevis but realised 2/3 up I was too old and unfit and went back down for a beer whilst my daughter got to the top. Never been to Scafell Pike.

carry plenty of water!

P.S. Ben Nevis is still very snowy / icy on the top in May!

good luck!

3. jacksk1

No, I haven't attempted anything like this before...!! I do quite a bit of running though so I have a good core fitness but not sure how that will translate to climbing up and down hills :emoticon-0107-sweat

We've been warned of the potential for snow/ice at the top of Ben Nevis, apparently it was -1 at the summit at some point last week so hopefully it warms up a bit :emoticon-0102-bigsm

4. SaintinSerbia

SaintinSerbia Annoying Twat

If you were going up this Saturday, 50 km winds and wind chill factor -5C. Serious "hill" be prepared! :)

5. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Done. Good luck.

Mad

6. jacksk1

Hi all,

Just to update you on this. I successfully completed the challenge last week in a time of 54 hours and 10 minutes (which includes all travel time and 2 overnight stays). Each mountain had it's own challenges - Ben Nevis was very cold at the top and quite scary when left on your own for long periods of time, Scafell Pike was, although the shortest in terms of height, certainly the steepest and Snowdon was surprisingly varied with gradual uphill walking followed by almost vertical climbing in some places. I have to say though it was the most rewarding experience of my life and I am so proud that I managed to achieve it. Thanks to all that have donated so far and for any that still wish to do so my Just Giving page is still open for donations:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/kevinjackson3peaks

Cheers,
    jacksk1

fatletiss, ChilcoSaint and RSS like this.
  7. Beddy

Beddy Plays the percentage

Well done mate keep it up :emoticon-0148-yes: