1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Tigers' history

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by Craigo, Nov 3, 2011.

1. Craigo

Craigo Well-Known Member

Hope this lot rekindles some memories Bielbs. I bet you can’t spot yourself in that crowd.
    please log in to view this image
    [/IMG]
    FA Cup 6th Round Replay (After 2-2 draw at Stamford Bridge)
    HULL CITY v CHELSEA 31st March 1966
    Result: Hull City 1 – 3 Chelsea
    Goals; City – Simpkin Chelsea - Graham, Tamblyn 2
    tiptopyorks22's story taken from BBC Memoryshare

It was my eleventh birthday 31 /3/1966 the day the above match took place at Boothferry Park It was the F.A. Cup Replay has City had drawn at Stamford Bridge were Ken Wagstaff had scored to goals to earn the replay. All schools in Hull to my memory had been given half a day off to go see the match the biggest of its time in my view. Me and my mate of the time Pete Townend went off to see that game. As we approached the North stand entrances you could see thousands of people snaking back from each of the turnstiles and we wondered if we would ever get in. Eventually we did but for the first 15minutes we never saw a ball kicked as we paced up and down trying to find away in through the vast crowd on the terraces. Suddenly a man shouted to us both to go to him with that he lifted me up above his head and shouted lads coming over in turn we were passed right down to the gravel track that surrounded the pitch and sat just to the left of the goal at the north stand end the nearest i had ever been to the hallowed turf. We lost that game 3 v 1 that day Peter Osgood been the difference. Of cause that was a special year too as England went on to beat Germany in the World Cup 4 v 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JR6_RIMX8bE
    HULL FOREVER: That does bring back wonderful memories. I was at Stamford Bridge for the 2-2 draw. We scored two goals in the last ten minutes against the superstars. Wonderful! OK we were beaten in the return but Simpkin's goal has always stayed in my memory as superb.

2. johnfirth

johnfirth Active Member

Thats right Waggy scored two goals twice for city in the quarter finals of the FA Cup against top flight opposition.
    Two against Bonetti at Stanford Bridge and two past Banks at BP, might be a while before we get another striker that could match that feat!
    I was one of the lads on the cinder track too for the Chelsea replay, the older fellas did indeed shuffle us down to make sure we could see the game, it was a different era back then with no crowd segregation or anything just a bunch of blokes from two teams enjoying a football match.

3. Craigo

Craigo Well-Known Member

The non-segregation thing was something I was wondering about. Not for the violence element, but more to do with singing. How did you get a good song going when both sets of fans were mingled together?

4. johnfirth

johnfirth Active Member

When the oppo fans came in they saw all the fans on bunkers singing away so they just took the other end normally. You could walk anywhere so you just went were the fans wearing the same colour scarf as you were standing.
    Fairly simple really, for a decent sized away fan contingent north stand under the clock was usually where they stood.

5. Craigo

Craigo Well-Known Member

It's an interesting behavioural thing really when you consider how much money is spent on policing etc these days. I would have thought the songs aimed at opposition fans would have been less aggressive and confrontational considering the target could easily stroll over and smack the singer in the mouth, but maybe not.

6. C'mon ref

C'mon ref Well-Known Member

Remember this game John, and yes was gutted at the final result but their ginger haired winger had a cracking game. Terry Conroy threatened every time he had the ball and although I may be wrong I think every time they scored he was involved.

7. Jimmy Graham's bald head

Jimmy Graham's bald head Well-Known Member

Only been going since the mid 80s but I've always remembered City 4-4 Barnet in 1993-94 as my favourite game even though it was a league match of minimal significance. From 1-0 up we went 3-1 down, back to 3-3 only to go 4-3 down after Wilson was lobbed from 45 yards. Then up pops Steve Moran (who I'd spent the whole season slagging off) with a late injury-time equaliser. I went ****ing nuts.

Best of all, I've just found it on youtube and it seems it's pretty much as I remembered it - was a bit worried that my memory would have made it better than it really was over time. I think this is the first time I've seen those goals again:

[video=youtube;Tv0vuuixZoE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tv0vuuixZoE[/video]

Was Moran offside?!

8. John Ex Aberdeen now E.R.

John Ex Aberdeen now E.R. Well-Known Member

I went to both the matches at Stamford Bridge and the replay at BP in 1966. I remember driving my motor bike down Willerby Road towards town in a snow storm, to meet up with the bus outside Electricity show rooms. We set off around 8am and when about 25 miles from London the sun came out and it was like a warm spring day when we entered the ground to watch the match, quite a contrast from when leaving Hull.

It was a fantastic astmophere, and we were behind the goal that Waggy scored the 2 goals in the second half after been 2-0 down at half time. I remember in the first half City should have had a penalty when Kirkup handled the ball on the line to prevent a goal, so the 2 goals in the 2nd half were just reward for the mighty Tigers. What sticks out in my mind was Waggy swing round the post after scoring the 2nd goal in celebration. What a night out we had in London that evening.

On the replay at BP expectation were high, but frankly City were out played for the most part, Simpkin screemer of a goal at least gave us something to cheer, and also the singing of "big mouth Docherty" still rings in my ears.

9. johnfirth

johnfirth Active Member

When I first went to city I was only like six or seven and my dad and his mate Pete were always shouting "offside ref!"
    So I decided to do the same but I thought when the ball went out for a throw in that was offside as it had gone off side of the pitch.
    They thought it was very funny and let me yell offside everytime the ball went out for a few games till they finally explained the rule to me.
    Funny now as if I needed to yell at the ref to let him know the ball had gone out of play ha ha ha.
    Amazing the things you remember innit :)

10. dem_on

dem_on Member

My oh My this forum is alive with Old Grammarians .......................... but I think I must be one of the earliest ,having watched the Tigers since 1947/8 season. I see you left Oz to live in UK Craig but I bet you didn't get to see Waggy and Chilo play for an England Eleven downunder. Knowing Chilo from days in Uk I met him and Waggy again in Sydney and arranged a couple of nights out and a party for them in Sydney and guess what "Golden Balls " Waggy dropped a one armed bandit Jackpot in the Souths Rugby leagues club.I took 5 of the England players on a tour of the top spots in Sydney and got them back to their Motel in Rushcutters Bay by Eleven o'clock .Wilf McGuiness the ex Man Utd player was the "nursemaid" on the tour and he saw them all to there rooms then retired to his and as soon as he left they were back out to join myself and the girls for a few more beers and they didn't go back until after 1am .Needless to say there performances were not up to scratch on the field later. At the Sydney game I introduced them to David Whitfield the singer (Ex Kirkella) and he then organised trips on his boat when they went to Melbourne for the next game.

Another trip down memory lane ............................ Oh the good old days ..lol

Ps. The only chant I can rememeber from the 1966 home replay with Chelsea was ...................
    " Osgoods No good " every time he received the ball.

11. Craigo

Craigo Well-Known Member

No I missed that game, but to be honest I was more into Eastern Suburbs Rugby League club out there and I wouldn't have known who Waggy and Chilton were (That's one hell of a confession on this forum - hope I don't live to regret it). I was born in Hull but we emigrated when I was 7 and returned in 79 when I was 14.

12. smidgen

smidgen Active Member

Just an O/T Hull Grammar question: If the official school motto is "Floreat Nostra Scola" (Let Our School Flourish) - what is the unofficial school motto?

NB: There is no prize for the first correct answer.

13. Craigo

Craigo Well-Known Member

Tuck your shirt in fag?

14. dem_on

dem_on Member

"Fook me where did it all go wrong" sounds plausible lol

15. smidgen

smidgen Active Member

Good one - but nowhere near, I'm afraid.

16. Farsleyexile

Farsleyexile Well-Known Member

Hull is a nice city :)

17. Mrs. BLUE_MOUNTAINS_BEAR

Mrs. BLUE_MOUNTAINS_BEAR Well-Known Member

We arrived in Australia in 1968 and cannot recall the England visit.What year was it?

My husband was a member of South Sydney Leagues club until the late eighties and in Hull his dad accompanied David Whitfield as a pianist during his early years around the Club circuit.

Two of his cousins that emigrated here were educated at Hull Grammar and the younger one played for Hull City Boys in the late fifties.

The chant at Stamford Bridge was of course "Osgood is Good" where he was a living legend in those days(so I am told).

18. WhittlingStick

WhittlingStick Well-Known Member

i dont know why , but im never good at remembering on the field events , i do pay attention , but for some reason i want to mention the half time entertainment at BP - y'know the penalty kick prize wotsits .
    It was in the very late 90s and it was at the time the best bit of goal action i could witness.

I would like to add my biggest outrage witnessed - again in the late 90s
    We had a corner on the stroke of HT and as the ball was crossed in the ref blew the whistle exactly as the ball was headed into the net - final result was 1-1 i think

19. Hank Scorpio

Hank Scorpio Well-Known Member

I remember the Eye of the Tiger game at half time, where a selected member of the crowd had to kick the ball through the hole in a banner which had a massive drawing of a tiger on it. Think the prize was a new Honda from the De Vries Honda showroom.

I remember the Raywells, The Beautiful Couch all playing on the pitch. And of course this little beauty.

[video=youtube;_xSD_JL-o14]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xSD_JL-o14[/video]

Think all the players at the time were on it.

20. Craigo

Craigo Well-Known Member

I think it was in the early 80s when our regular halftime entertainment was about 5 or 6 young girls who either had pom-poms or batons (I can't remember which), but without being too unkind they err weren't very good. They had plenty of enthusiasm but they were also completely out of sync. and most of the dances involved picking up dropped batons / pom-poms. The climax of the performance came with them dancing around the centre circle, but they couldn't get there spacing right and they all usually ended up bunched together and stepping on each others toes. Sorry if you're one of those girls and full marks for effort, but I have to say they did make the half-time interval seem that much longer.