1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Time to lighten the mood

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by YorkshireHoopster, Oct 8, 2012.

1. YorkshireHoopster

YorkshireHoopster Well-Known Member

Now I'm not a footy program collector but I do enjoy a good browse every now and then. Yesterday I had a real treat at the Doncaster antiques and collectables fair when I found one dealer with an impressive collection of old programs from all clubs and ages including a bucket load of old ones from the Rs. I chose two from our consecutive promoton seasons in 66/7 and 67/8.The first was Watford which I remember going to with my dad. If memory serves me right it was 0-0 at half time and we scored 4 times in the first six minutes of the second. Mark Lazarus scoring two identical beauties where he dribbled the ball in after mazy runs within about 60 seconds of each other. Watford got a consolation towards the end.

The other one was Carlisle the foolowing season.We couldn't get to that one and I can't remember the result. Can anyone help out there and more importantly remember going to it?

Happy memories. God we were an irresistible force in those days. No wonder i'm cursed to be a supporter all my life.

2. Tramore Ranger

Tramore Ranger Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

YH can't help too much with the Carlisle score....

But was browsing through our loft the other day and found my old programme binder and found a couple that i had completely forgotten about, they were against Leicester our first ever 1st division game in 68 and our "title" winning game against Leeds in 75 where the front cover had all the European flags on it to celebrate our up coming European adventure the following season.

Also have the League Cup semi against Birmingham and the final programmes although the final one is a little worse for wear, the others are in fairly good nick........Happy Days.

3. YorkshireHoopster

Wish I knew what happened to my old progs. Think they got binned by my parents when I went to Uni.

4. Azmi

Azmi Well-Known Member

Remember a game against Carlisle but not sure what year it was or the score. Think SB was playing for them, remember us scoring five but that could have been either Hull or Oxford as well that season.

So long ago.

5. ashbyhoops

ashbyhoops Member

67/68 season Rangers won 3-1 at home and 1-0 at their place

6. Uber_Hoop

Uber_Hoop Well-Known Member

7. ashbyhoops

ashbyhoops Member

Cheers Uber you're spot on I read it wrong, mind you I was only 1

8. YorkshireHoopster

Thanks guys. It was about 4 years before the legendary stan bowles. Don't think he'd even debuted for city at that stage. Glad I didn't go if it was only 1-0. Anybody care to share their experience of going to Viila Park in 68 to secure promotion? didn't Villa go down as well?

9. Azmi

Azmi Well-Known Member

Didn't go as was sick that year but have been infected ever since with QPR.

The following year was traumatic for my young mind, first Roger Morgan out and then what happened. Pessimism has never left me since.

10. ashbyhoops

ashbyhoops Member

No problem Yorkshire, looking at ubers link villa finished 16th with Rotherham and Plymouth relegated, nice to talk about something else

11. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Discovered a few 70s programmes after my Dad died a few years back. We used to buy a programme every game back then. Bought one for the Swans game this year but haven't bothered since, and only one from 8 or 9 home games attended last year. Just feel like expensive PR/ propaganda now, whereas years ago it was an essential part of the match day experience. Is this just me becoming an increasingly crotchety old git?

12. YorkshireHoopster

Yes and no. We all are. I don't but the these days either. The programmes are just full of drivel these days whereas they used to be informative and the ranger to ranger column was the equivalent of a good internet forum but under the censorship of the upright moralising of Ron Phillips. How long would some of us have lasted had he been a Mod? I can remember him writing once about the disgrace brought on us by having one player sent off in a decade. What would he have made of our team in 2011/12?

13. Uber_Hoop

Uber_Hoop Well-Known Member

So was I :emoticon-0102-bigsm

14. GoldhawkRoad

GoldhawkRoad Well-Known Member

Tend to agree with you, SB. I was looking through the QPR v Chelsea programme this morning. There is some good stuff in there but it's a hell of a job to find it through all the guff. Preferred those old programmes which cut to the quick.