1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Title mathematically gone (Again)

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by AndyI, Mar 21, 2021.

1. AndyI

AndyI Well-Known Member

So, that’s the title mathematically gone for another year.

Here is a list of the point in each season and gap, where the title became impossible:

20-21 played 29 games - 29 pts behind
    19-20 pld 25 - 42 pts behind
    18-19 pld 32 - 19 pts behind
    17-18 pld 29 - 33 pts behind
    16-17 pld 33 - 21 pts behind
    15-16 pld 35 - 12 pts behind
    14-15 pld 34 - 13 pts behind
    13-14 pld 35 - 10 pts behind
    12-13 pld 32 - 21 pts behind
    11-12 pld 34 - 18 pts behind
    10-11 pld 36 - 9 pts behind
    09-10 pld 36 - 8 pts behind
    08-09 pld 35 - 12 pts behind
    07-08 pld 37 - 4 pts behind
    06-07 pld 31 - 23 pts behind
    05-06 pld 29 - 28 pts behind
    04-05 pld 35 - 11 pts behind

So after the invincible season, Mourinho’s arrival and Utd’s response put the title well beyond reach for 3 seasons, then one realistic title challenge was followed by being in the same ballpark. This was accompanied by a CL final appearance, one CL Semi final exit and 2 Quarter final exits.

However, after the end of the 2000’s Arsenal have become irrelevant in terms of title challenges and contending in the CL to the point that they are now looking to win domestic cups and qualify for/and challenge in the Europa League.

Fifteen years ago this would have been unthinkable to many fans. I wonder how many fans think the team can again challenge for top honours and how long it might take.

2. Bergkamp

Bergkamp Member

Interesting stats, although not surprising. It's clear we are no longer the force we once were and if I'm honest I'm not sure of how we can get back to the top. I know most fans' opinions are split on Arteta but I don't feel like changing manager again will benefit us.

On paper, I do not think our squad is as bad as our league position. Let's give Arteta another summer transfer window to strengthen the areas needed (for me - a new RB is a must) and hopefully next season we can achieve better league results.

I think winning the Europa League is a must for us this year - but as we know it only takes one bad performance and we are out of the competition. Let's hope they can pull it off and get us back into the Champions League where we belong.

3. omogooner

omogooner Well-Known Member

I think the title talk or measuring us against the title is nothing but unattainable. I think that ship has long sailed. All we are begging for is finishing in the top 4, for whatever reason we flattered to deceive this season. Never seen a season where we have so many players were collectively out form...

4. gooner4ever

gooner4ever once a Gooner always a Gooner
    Forum Moderator

I think that some players like Willian and Pepe have been good recently as opposed to how dreadful they were. The kids have been great.

What has cost us many points this season has been individuals making unforced errors or stupid decisions, inconsistent displays, and of course refs and VAR have ****ed us over.

We have also got rid of deadwood and possibly troublesome players and this process hasn’t ended yet as I expect more departures.
    as long as Arteta is backed by the owners and can’t get in the players he wants then we do have a nucleus of young and talented players so the future is bright. So next year we should aim for top 4 and then see where we get.
    I don’t think we are in as bad a position as some think.

BrunelGunner, straycat_67 and PINKIE like this.
  5. Mantis

Mantis Well-Known Member

Sorry to say, but this season has been hot garbage. I like Arteta but it feels like for every step we take forward, its two steps back. Anyone deluding themselves into thinking 9th place is good enough needs to take a long hard look at themselves. We are going backwards.

TheBear likes this.
  6. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

Yeah exactly.

We can put in a good performance (against Spurs or Chrlsea for example) in a big game but you can guarantee 1-2 games down the line the same kind of workrate and intensity wont be repeated. That's a managerial problem - if the players can do it 10-15 games a Season they should be able to 30-40 games a Season.

On one hand I think tactically Arteta knows his **** but the inconsistency of performance is the biggest problem.

You would think the younger players would have this isssue but really is the Xhaka, Bellerin, Luiz''s that have been the most inconsistent.

This squad is alot better than our league place. (It still needs strengthening sure but there's alot of talent there)

7. white_gunner

white_gunner Well-Known Member

I don’t know if we will win the league again.

I think it will take us ~10 years to be considered a “top 4” club again. If ever.

8. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

Well I don't agree actually. Where the Club has don't things right is with development and signing of youth.

When you look at... Martinelli, Saka, Smith Rowe, Saliba, Tierney, Odengaard, Gabriel, Balogun, Pepe.. these are all players who can and should level up. I personally think Smith Rowe, Saka, Odengaard, Saliba and Martinelli can all become TOP TOP level players.

For me its the biggest positive the club has we have this base of quality young players (WAAAY better than the Gibbs/Walcott/Chamberlain era) So really we just have to build the squad around them and sign the right players to fill in the gaps.

gooner4ever likes this.
  9. Bergkamp

Bergkamp Member

With hindsight it seems that way. But I'm sure we were all raving over the latter of players at the time they were coming up. Who knows if these up and coming players fulfil their potential and become top level players performing consistently.

Also I think to name Walcott in the same breath as Gibbs or Ox is a bit disrespectful. Although he didn't live up to the heights the media (and us as fans) put on him - he certainly wasn't a flop and had a decent career with us

omogooner likes this.
  10. white_gunner

white_gunner Well-Known Member

Personally I don’t know if the youth we have now are better than them. I have not yet seen enough to know. Saka and ESR have great potential, but until they realize it, it’s all it is - potential.

years ago I also thought Chamberlain Walcott and Gibbs had massive potential.

Bergkamp likes this.

11. AndyI

AndyI Well-Known Member

Bumped for this year. So inspite of being miles off the level of City, Pool and to a lesser extent Chelsea, it's actually an improvement for you.

So, that’s the title mathematically gone for another year. Here is a list of the point in each season and gap, where the title became impossible:

21-22 played 31 games 22pts Behind

20-21 played 29 games - 29 pts behind
    19-20 pld 25 - 42 pts behind
    18-19 pld 32 - 19 pts behind
    17-18 pld 29 - 33 pts behind
    16-17 pld 33 - 21 pts behind
    15-16 pld 35 - 12 pts behind
    14-15 pld 34 - 13 pts behind
    13-14 pld 35 - 10 pts behind
    12-13 pld 32 - 21 pts behind
    11-12 pld 34 - 18 pts behind
    10-11 pld 36 - 9 pts behind