1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Tony Off?

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by QPR999, Mar 28, 2015.

1. jeffranger

jeffranger Well-Known Member

Warnock was good for us & got us out of ****e we was in when heading to div 1, just a bit out of his depth in prem, tony knows the mistakes he's made & wants to rebuild the club, but please keep off twitter! Mitals had there chance to buy the club before!

2. Bush Rhino

Bush Rhino Well-Known Member

Williams, Force India.

Of course you are correct it's not an even playing field, I'm wummig to a certain extent. I think to be honest the financials have been high for a while and the two examples I gave above also have their reasons for maintaing their exsistance, but why could Tony not read the landscape and cut his cloth accordingly? Similar criticism is being made over his tenure with us.

Had Tony not bothered with the F1 and just gone straight to football he may have made a better fist of it and been given more time to prove himself. The first time in the prem we all cut him slack based to the timing of the clubs purchase. This time round there is no excuse, he didn't do enough in the summer & January.

We need training pitches and some leg room at games, we're simple folk. Having the blood supply to your legs cut off while spending stupid money to watch players who haven't seen real grass all week while getting mauled by a knackered & second rate Everton, isn't fun.

Lets hope Manor F1 find a sustainable method and some success.

3. Supergod00

Supergod00 Active Member

I think a lot of it boils down to expectations, we saw some rich owners come in and everyone thought we would be knocking on the door for Europe, the reality is we play in a stadium that holds less then 19k and we don't even fill that every game, there are much bigger clubs with far larger fan bases that haven't had a sniff of the premier league for a long time (Leeds, Forrest etc), if TF leaves I can see the Mittels going too, why would they stay and pump money in only to face the abuse TF has had? Not worth it for them. As for the stadium, it's obvious to grow we need to move and as it stands Old Oak is the only viable option without moving away from the area, TF is pushing hard for it but it's probably 50/50 at best at this stage that it'll happen, still his intentions on it seem to be clear and honest!

4. Bush Rhino

What use is Old Oak if we are in Division 1? Agree we are lucky to be where we are, but we seem intent on relegation.

We need a training ground first, not someone who's using the club to push through a land grab for personal financial gain. My expectations for Tony was a cup run never Europe.. The play off's were close.

To need Old Oak we need to be in the premier league, to stay in the premier league we need training facilities and lots of money. Tis a simple equation, training ground first.

5. Supergod00

Supergod00 Active Member

Training ground is still going ahead, all be it on a smaller scale. The facilities we have aren't that bad, the main advantage of the new ones will be better academy features, that won't help short term though. All we can do now is support the team to the last breath this season and then rebuild where ever we are next season, long term we need to get a bigger ground to grow as a club to attract the right players and also to attract the best youth players who will want to play there when they grow up!

6. BlindFaith

BlindFaith Well-Known Member

Whilst I think TF has made huge mistakes I'm reluctant to see him go now as that could cause more upheaval & a further downward spiral. So rather than jump now I would like to see him put effort in to stabilize the club which is what should have been done to start rather than a roller-coaster ride that it is. Also less twitter bs would be nice.

What he needs is someone trustworthy who can offer decent advise & ask the right questions i.e. why are we offering has been players long term contracts (make them earn contract extensions), why should we buy another midfielder when attack/defence is clearly under strength, why are we going into a season with one fully fit recognized striker, what happens if setup for 5 at the back & the players can't make it work do we have options to revert to 4-4-2 etc. None of this should be rocket science just need someone who has a pragmatic approach.

7. BlindFaith

BlindFaith Well-Known Member

Not something I ever expected my hope was promotion & to stabilize as a Premiership team i.e. mid table & hope for the odd decent cup run etc. There's no way with our stadium, level of support that could reasonably expect to compete with the top 6/7.

8. Supergod00

Supergod00 Active Member

You maybe but many others wanted far more, saying that you only have to look at the current lower mid table with Everton and Newcastle both with 40-50k attendances sitting there to see what we are competing against, being realistic we are punching well above our weight just being in the prem!

UTRs likes this.
  9. Bush Rhino

Again you are not wrong but just look at our history, we are the most traveled team in the country, and in the last 11 years have played in 3 leagues. Stability is attractive to the fans. I just can't see Old Oak happening.

Support the team is all we can do.

10. TWGWTDT

TWGWTDT Well-Known Member

He is a very rich nice man who has wasted a lot of money
    But as a human he is allowed to do that he has to live with that And he has to live with his ego
    He are all the same and none of us are experts apart from we are all experts in making mistakes
    I never liked the statement that he would walk if he wasn't popular
    Well in this case expert things he said he could do haven't happened as they said they would that has nothing to do with popular imo
    And in that is my problem

I am off to help my French neighbour
    No idea how it will go but I have knowledge that may help but I won't leave until the task is done because I said I would help

That doesn't make me an expert in anything

11. qprbeth

qprbeth Wicked Witch of West12
    Forum Moderator

Any of you know the old story "The Monkey's paw"...go read it before all wishing for TF to go!!!

12. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

I have always stuck up for TF, but if he leaves and leaves us in the sh@t, then all that the said about how he loves the club and wanted to be here for many years will make him look like a........ However do business people actually care like us fans?

13. rangercol

rangercol Well-Known Member

If my auntie had bollocks.....

He hasn't gone yet.
    He may do if he continues to get dog's abuse though.

14. thisismyengland

thisismyengland Active Member

He hasn't faced any significant "abuse".

15. Ciarrai_Abu

Ciarrai_Abu Well-Known Member

Exactly. Maybe from a few twitter trolls but otherwise no.

16. thisismyengland

thisismyengland Active Member

Barely even that. The only person I know to have been repeatedly and directly abusive towards Fernandes via Twitter is Scott Jones. At best, I believe Fernandes exaggerates a bit, spinning up a few critical remarks into what he calls his being "hammered" on Twitter. At worst, he may be actually lying about it. I also wonder about the business of "I'll walk away if the fans want me to go". How would that be measured? Presumably he doesn't mean a properly organised ballot of registered QPR fans (ST holders, club members etc.).

17. awjm

awjm Well-Known Member

When **** hits the fans.

Shawswood likes this.
  18. danishqp

danishqp Well-Known Member

That's right Beth, let's live our QPR life in total deference to The Holy leader, we must fear His Royal Twitterness or we may face his wrath!
    The same leader who has delivered us to the holy Grail, The same leader that has shown how The parting of The Red Sea was nothing compared to how our midfield and defence can part.

Oh Tony, Tony wherefore art though Tony.
    Deny, Deny, Deny- and then deny some more.

19. KooPeeArr

KooPeeArr Well-Known Member

There seem to be a few lamenting the departure of Bernie and Flavio. This seems madness with a rose tint.

These are the men that tightened the purse strings to the point where we were equipped for a Premiership season with only DJ Campbell in addition (and that was only at the expense of Gorkss).

The week and a half the TF had to redress this is still a lingering mess with Barton and SWP signed on big and lengthy contracts.

Would he have done differently given more time? Possibly not but it highlights a problem that rookie owners face - long term contracts vs the immediate requirement to consolidate in the Premiership. I do doubt that he'd offer such generous and extended terms now.

Also, does anyone know what position the finances were in when TF took over? In my mind, the TV rights money had been pocketed and the ground was owned by a holding company. Would any of this be transferred to the club debts or have a bearing on the current figure?

I think his biggest mistake was appointing Beard and not for any personal issue with him. An experienced chairman type (the Peter Kenyon, David Dein kind) would have given a less partisan football insight than managers who see every conversation as an opportunity to prise open the purse strings.

He is improving and he seems committed so I'm behind him. I also don't expect him to meet every promise he made when he thought we'd be an established top flight club (quite probably on the words of Hughes and Redknapp) but will hold him accountable if he walks away or the academy status isn't obtained.

Ranger4ever likes this.
  20. WindsorHoop

WindsorHoop Active Member

TF isn't necessarily saying he will sell the club - he may remain the owner just employ a better CEO type to act as a chairman. I think Beard has been a disaster (put in by TF I accept) but if he had an established football CEO as his right hand man who was left to run the club properly, not as a business, it may all be different.

KooPeeArr likes this.