1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Tony Pulis: West Brom set to appoint former Stoke manager

Discussion in 'West Brom' started by luvgonzo, Dec 31, 2014.

1. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30641213

Tony Pulis is set to be named West Brom head coach on a two-and-a-half-year deal to succeed the sacked Alan Irvine.
    The 56-year-old former Stoke and Crystal Palace manager is likely to be confirmed in the position on Thursday.
    It is hoped he will be in the stands at Upton Park for West Brom's New Year's Day Premier League visit to West Ham.
    There are still some details to be decided, but the deal to make Pulis the club's fourth head coach in a year is expected to proceed without a problem.
    West Brom will retain their continental structure - in which the head coach works to technical director Terry Burton and sporting director Richard Garlick, who in turn report to chairman Jeremy Peace.
    But Pulis has been assured he will have full control of all first-team matters, including the buying and selling of players. Pulis worked in a similar setup at Stoke where John Rudge was sporting director.
    The Welshman will meet with Peace for the first time on Thursday, and will bring in Dave Kemp - part of his coaching team at Palace and Stoke - as his assistant, but decisions are still to be made on the rest of the coaching staff.
    Albion are 16th in the Premier League, a point above the relegation zone, following Sunday's 2-0 defeat at Stoke.
    Irvine was placed on gardening leave on Tuesday after winning just four of his 19 league games in charge.

2. Smithers

Smithers Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Good luck.

3. Pulis is exactly what the Baggies need, right now.

If any of you think that you can take the risk of getting in a manager who is going to get you playing "attractive" football and not get you relegated, you are more deluded than a Liverpudlian!

Pulis will ensure that your team get the basics right - which is setting you up not to concede goals. He'll work on fitness, and he'll get you being more competitive, which is something that has been sadly lacking from your sides, in recent times. He'll also work on your set plays - something that Pulis has been reknowned for.

You need a massive shot of confidence in your club, at the moment, and Pulis is, if nothing else, a steadying hand on a very jittery helm. Your chances of surviving relegation have been massively increased with him in charge. Whether he's the man to take you forward long-term... well, that's a subject for an entirely different debate.

4. Smithers

Forum Moderator

Very true Hoddle, but all in fairness the Baggies are far too good to be where they are. I think they would have stayed up anyway but I'm pretty sure TP will make sure - it's just a question of who he buys. It appears he wants Walters, Crouch and Huth, all over 30 years of age and all very static one dimensional players.

5. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

It's a big job, too many of the old guard at WBA are going through the motions and need to be sold. Pulis will sort it out though.

My father in law is a Baggies fan and didn't want Pulis but I think he'll prove him wrong.

Smithers likes this.
  6. Smithers

Forum Moderator

Just read that Paul Jewel has left after 7 days?

Paul Jewell has released a statement following his departure from West Bromwich Albion.
    "My departure was not by mutual consent. It is in the hands of my lawyer. I will not be making any further comment at this stage," the statement read.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
    luvgonzo likes this.
  7. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

Get a grip Paul. <laugh>