1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Too Posh to push

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by Bigalreigned, Feb 1, 2020.

1. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Plus he's ours and is not improving for us sitting on the bench.

Southcoastoldgaffer and itfcptc like this.
  2. itfcptc

itfcptc Well-Known Member

I'd take a draw :bandit:

3. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

I'd take not conceding again <laugh>

4. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

We can't take free kicks today at all.
    Very Goldilocks today, first man or too long but not just right

5. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Somebody has to score that!
    Great cross along the six yard box, nobody on the end of it.

6. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

That was too easy.
    4-0 now.
    Long kick from the keeper, header on from Toney, missed by our defenders and then Szmodics scores.

7. Southcoastoldgaffer

Southcoastoldgaffer Well-Known Member

Un f...ing believable! Is this our club. What a change in fortunes and mood.

Morale shattered.

8. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Penalty!

9. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Norwood scores.

Come on Ipswich!

10. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

That was ****!

11. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Terrible game today.

After a bright start we totally lost it and ended up putting in one of the most nervy displays I've seen for a while. We started off quite well and it looked like the match was going to be a decent contest but then we gave a penalty away and that settled Peterborough down. After the calamity of Norris being too casual and losing the ball for an easy goal you could see the confidence drain from the team. Everything from that point on was a rapid decline in composure and ability to pass the ball or put anything positive together.
    Second half was even worse with Peterborough toying with us and not really needing to put any effort into continuing to score and cause problems.

Norris - absolute nightmare. Too casual for the second goal, he had an error strewn afternoon. His kicking is terrible, I don't know what it is with Ipswich keepers but all the recent ones (Gerken, Bart, Norris) all kick the ball out of touch far too often for a professional player. Not sure why we continue to play him over a keeper that we just brought in last summer and we own. It's come out in the last couple of days that loans sometimes come with a fine system in the contract where the club has to pay out if certain appearance milestones aren't reached. If that is the case, why are we agreeing to deals like that? It forces the manager to play certain players because we sure wouldn't want to be paying any fines for breach of the loan agreement. Please bring Holy back.
    Woolfenden - tough afternoon up against Dembele. Luke still tried to help out in attack but it was a match to forget for most of the players today.
    Wilson - at fault for the penalty (I think) and for missing the header on from Toney for the fourth goal.
    Chambers - not too bad, probably the best of the back three.
    Garbutt - subbed off injured after twenty minutes. The game was already getting away from us by the time Luke went off and it got no better after that.
    Skuse - poor. Not positive enough with the ball it was a reminder today of how we play with him in the team instead of Huws.
    Downes - man of the match again. Did all he could to be competitive. Defended and attacked with passion and kept a cool head when needed.
    Edwards - was ok. Got the better of Butler at LB quite often but still doesn't get good crosses in. Gwion picked up his 10th yellow card and will now miss the next two matches. I can't wait for KVY to return.
    Judge - **** again. When he was played wide he spent all his time wandering infield, now he's got a role behind the strikers he drifts wide all the time. Whatever he does though rarely results in a goal scoring chance, a waste of space. We will be a better team if Lambert starts Bishop in that spot.
    Keane - not good enough. For a big lad he doesn't hold the ball up very well.
    Jackson - lots of running, no end product.

Kenlock - looked nervous and had a poor game. We need better back up.
    Norwood - poor. Spends more time arguing with the officials than playing football
    Sears - yet another game that Freddie gets put in a position he's not suited for. I feel sorry for him, he's never used in the right way.

All in all that was a match to forget quickly.
    Peterborough were just another team to show us how to play with a game plan and a style that they are comfortable with. Most teams in this division seem to have at least one player that can pull the strings or play the passes needed to create chances, we do not. We looked disjointed, out of sorts and forced the issue too much to be effective. Peterborough were already taking control of the game before the second ridiculous goal and Garbubtt going off and it was all downhill from there.

We missed Huws, we've been missing KVY and may have to do without Garbutt for a while. Kenlock is not up to the task, Edwards isn't a good enough winger and Judge is just plain ****.

12. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Forgot to mention, Referee was farcical with his decisions and started to lose control of the match.

The refereeing standard at League One level is pretty bad.

13. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

Didn’t think we’d get worse than against Rotherham in mid-week, but I think today just about takes the biscuit. A fairly encouraging first several minutes, but surprise, surprise the opposition adapted and took advantage of our weaknesses and lack of control.

This team has no leadership on the pitch. And for those who think Chambers is a vocal, inspirational captain needs to reconsider their opinion. He mainly shouts at other players to cover up his own gaffes. We had no ideas out there, nothing. Skuse as a holding midfielder slows our tempo down and makes us too cautious, but understand injury forced our hand there. All in all, another abject display yet again against a promotion contender, which makes promotion look an increasingly difficult objective. We need to improve ahead of the next game, otherwise we could be struggling to finish in the top six, which would be a massive failing on both the players and the manager’s part.

14. poshfan

poshfan Well-Known Member

Should buy yourself a Ivan Toney type player some who can score plus defend hes worth his weight in gold no wonder hes up for 12 million
    And thanks for the points today we didt have to do much you gave us the points
    now go on and beat Sunderland

San Diego likes this.
  15. Roystonblue

Roystonblue Well-Known Member

Just back from the game and that was embarrassing. Norris - apparently, he has to play a certain number of games due to his loan contract but..Holy is no worse and belongs to us, surely a no brainier. No going to put too much blame on Wolfy today. His worse game in a town shirt but as a young player, he’s going to have the odd bad one, he needed Chambers to help much more than he did. Kenlock is not a wing back. Edwards is just starting to play a bit better (not difficult) bu he’s now banned from next 2 games. Skuse, Downes and Judge has to be the slowest midfield trio in history. Downes and Skuse tried their best but words fail me with Judge. He’s had 1 decent game all season (Wycombe away) if Bishop not fit for next week, play dobra instead. Jackson runs his heart out, not the greatest player but he gives 100% every game. Keane is the wrong fit. Probably best 1st touch in the team but does everything from too deep. Finally, Sears, either play him up front alongside Norwood or not at all

16. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Daryl Murphy was the last player we had like that.

Southcoastoldgaffer and Nuggets like this.
  17. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

Very disappointed with that.Peterborough came with a plan,as expected,pressed and were first to almost every second ball and punished us by pulling our back three all over the shop.Once again we showed how one dimensional our tactics are and how even in "big games" Lambert fails to motivate his team.On this showing we'll be stuck in the third tier for several seasons.

Nuggets likes this.
  18. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

Agreed. Frustratingly, it seems the better sides in the division know that to beat Ipswich, you’ve got the press us across the pitch, get a bit physical, and have a clear approach to attacking play. In stark comparison to how we play against the better sides in the division, which is a weird focus on aimless long balls and directionless, stale play when we get the ball in the attacking third. Players are partly to blame for this, particularly the shocking lack of on-pitch leadership. But Lambert and his coaches really need to sort this out. They need to coach this team to attack effectively. These players are not “that” bad. We’ve got international players in this team for Christ‘s sake. We’ve got EFL’s top scorer for last season, who has spent most of the last few weeks on the bench. The decision to persist with an error-prone goalkeeper, who isn’t even ours, also beggars belief.

We did next to nothing in the transfer window. Before December, Lambert would’ve been more critical of this. He would’ve tried to force the owner’s hand, like he did at the end of last summer. But since signing his five year contract, he’s got complacent and more accepting of ineptitude. And this has been reflected in the team’s performances over the past couple of games. I may be overly critical of Lambert, but I’m willing to praise him when he and his team deserves it (such as against Lincoln). But the last couple of games has really ground me down, and I’m struggling to see what the players can rally around to get this faltering campaign back on track.

Bigalreigned and fieldmarshall like this.
  19. Mike_Holmes1990

Mike_Holmes1990 Well-Known Member

Optimism, always so fragile, is fading quickly.

Even allowing for the knowledge that Peterborough are very effective at scoring and we had some injuries the result is depressing.

Still reaping the rewards from Evans strategy but it's up to the manager to be able to Adapt, starting to look like our start of the season was the anomaly in Lambert's record.

20. Roystonblue

Roystonblue Well-Known Member

Did Evans give Lambert a 5 year deal just to keep him quiet & have him tow the line. I hope not but it looks that way to me. Also, on another issue, when are any of the local journalists going to start asking the difficult questions instead of spoon fed nonsense. Not leaving in Ipswich, I only have access to post game interviews and I’m not impressed with those.

San Diego and Nuggets like this.