1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Toon Safety

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Hugh Briss, Mar 20, 2019.

1. Hugh Briss

Hugh Briss Well-Known Member

I'm confident now that we can avoid relegation. The seven games remaining include games at home against teams below us.

Premier League safety but will Rafael Benitez be here next season?
    Doubtful but there is always a chance.

Anyone else think we're going to stay up?

Dorty Dogbreath likes this.
  2. Dorty Dogbreath

Dorty Dogbreath keeper of the glow

I think we still finish on the exact points, GD, etc as last year. Regarding Rafa, I think he wants to stay. Will he? Yes.

Hugh Briss likes this.
  3. cronemeister

cronemeister Well-Known Member

Absolutley especially when you look at Cardiff's run in, we could probably not score another point and be fine but I wouldn't want to chance it. I think we can still pick up 10 points from our remaining games, even half of that would be more than enough I reckon.

Hugh Briss likes this.
  4. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

Never felt in any real danger to be honest. The hysterical Newcastle fans I think we all know we have, were telling tales of impending doom etc etc. I looked at it quite simply as there were always at least 3 worse teams than us. I said we'd finish somewhere around 11th-15th I still think that is the most likely scenario. We may do a bit better than that.

I think Rafa will be here. I fully understand he is using the contract situation to get more out of the chairman, that is just being smart and that is football. Unless Ashley involves himself in such a way it makes the position untenable, then I think we will see Rafa back in the dugout.

5. Hugh Briss

Hugh Briss Well-Known Member

Never concerned?
    Wow.

Ashley behaving in a way that makes the Manager's position untenable?
    Ask Keegan.

6. Charlie Dogscock

Charlie Dogscock Well-Known Member

I will eat my hat if we go down* .....it's not happening

Re: Rafa, he's clearly at the end of his tether with the lies and false promises from Fatty and Baldy, and he needs a straight up guaranteed budget and to be allowed to get who he wants. Will it happen? Urgh maybe, but I wouldn't stick my house on it.

*just in case we actually do, please note my hat is one of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01DUZ0556/?tag=not606-21

Hugh Briss likes this.
  7. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

There was a slight concern when we got into a terrible run. But I'd have to say it was very slight. I think I said on here many times I expected to stay up. We have a good manager, and a squad that is better than a minimum of 3. In my opinion probably a couple more on top. Add that with Rafa, I expected to be just under mid table. Lets be honest, our fans do have a nasty habit of going way overboard about how desperate our situation is.

Rafa knows how to whip the fans up just as Keegan did. I just don't think Rafa is capable of the same childish tantrum behaviour as Keegan. Keegan threatened to leave all the time if he didn't get his own way...under SJH! That said I I put the rider in for a reason. Ashley at best could be described as unpredictable. Signing Almiron was unexpected. Signing 83m of players under McClaren bewildering. Then on the flipside, it would take too long to go through all his negative impulsive decisions.

I think it is far more likely Rafa will be here next season. I think 80/20 he stays. The thing working massively in our favour is the absence for him of many other opportunities in England. Leicester has gone now, Everton would be a no go, the top 5-6 would not employ him. Where is he going? To be honest this is the most settled I can remember the PL in ages.

Flash and Hugh Briss like this.
  8. Albert's Chip Shop

Albert's Chip Shop Top Grafter
    Forum Moderator

I'll eat pubes on a cracker.

cronemeister likes this.
  9. haslam

haslam Well-Known Member

It's meant to be something you don't already habitually enjoy.

10. cronemeister

cronemeister Well-Known Member

This statement holds about as much substance as Ashley repeatedly claiming to have someone interested in buying NUFC!

Dorty Dogbreath likes this.

11. JakartaToon

JakartaToon Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I think we will stay up. I hope Rafa will stay but I think he needs to see a firm commitment from Ashley to progress. If I was him I would take nothing less than an irrevocable bank guarantee for 40million quid that will be paid out if the equivalent amount isnt spent on new signings.