1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Top 6 / Play off hopefuls?

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by Gone For A Walk, Oct 20, 2019.

1. Gone For A Walk

Gone For A Walk Well-Known Member

The manager keeps repeating it. Some on here reckon we have the players to do it, or should be doing much better, etc.

So, let's look realistically at the players we have - who would and who wouldn't likely get into a top 6 side.

Top 6
    Bowen
    Growsicki
    Stewart (Maybe. As good as he's been for us, I'd guess fans of genuine top 6 clubs would likely argue they have better)
    Toral (who? maybe ... and IF he could stay fit)

Not Top 6
    Long
    Lichaj
    Burke (potential)
    DeWijs (potential)
    Taf
    Elder (or Fleming or Kingsley)
    Honeyman
    Batty (definite potential to be)
    Irvine
    Lopes
    Eaves
    Magennis
    McCann and Byrne

Don't know
    Balogh

So basically we have 2, maybe 3 players (forgetting Toral as he can't stay fit), who are genuinely top 6 quality.

OK, then there's some who would say, rightly, it's not about having the best 11 (or more) players in the division, but more about the sum of the parts, the balance, the ability of the manager to get more than the sum of the parts out of them - well that certainly isn't us with our squad and manager. And then we have the off field distractions & 2/3rds empty stadium factors.

I understand a manager wanting to talk positive, and fans being optimistic, but there should be a grasp of reality. Adkins sensibly managed it.

Let's get real. We are a MILLION miles away. Mid-table would be quite an achievement.

2. highpeak tiger

highpeak tiger Well-Known Member

Plus Markus Henriksen & David Milinkovic who we are paying but not playing

Howden Tigress likes this.
  3. Gone For A Walk

Both excluded as they haven't been playing and it seems clear they won't.

4. highpeak tiger

highpeak tiger Well-Known Member

At this moment, if offered mid-table, I'd bite your hand off. I think we will struggle to achieve mediocrity, even with Bowen & Grosicki, which is rather damning.

5. John Ex Aberdeen now E.R.

John Ex Aberdeen now E.R. Well-Known Member

I get the feeling that McCann is comparing our squad with what he had at Doncaster and for the most part man for man it is better. However compared with other Championship squads, IMO we are mid-table at best and probably just good enough to avoid relegation If we lose Turbo & Jarrod in January, then it is in the lap of the Gods.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
  6. johnbo

johnbo Well-Known Member

Think we have some decent players but you only need weaknesses in two or three positions and it becomes a struggle. Unfortunately that's what were finding out at the moment. Going on a very difficult run now and with a few bad results confidence can really drop. We will have to hope the players can lift their game but going on last couple of performances dosnt look good and any talks of play offs for me are a long way off, the priority at the moment is getting results to stay up.

BillyBobBallbag likes this.
  7. Chazz Rheinhold

Chazz Rheinhold Well-Known Member

Is there a self harming helpline for the usual fannys

Howdentiger2 likes this.
  8. Gone For A Walk

Instead of childish, insulting posts why not add something intelligent and constructive to the discussion (on a message board that is here to voice opinions on). Especially as you are one of those repeatedly stating we have a squad good enough for top 6 (or words to that effect).

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
  9. DJBlackandamberarmy(No4)

DJBlackandamberarmy(No4) Well-Known Member

Who actually thinks we have a top 6 squad? We in reality we’re nowhere near last year, we had a slight flirtation with it after a great run but ended up nowhere . Now our squad is miles poorer, just losing Campbell alone weakened it massively considering who has been replaced with . Bowen and Grosicki give the squad a slightly skewed look as they are possibly 2 of the best players in the whole league , and as for Henriksen who people are clambering for , he like everybody else improved around Xmas last year when we won 5 games in a row - but he improved from being total ****e , to be not too bad . He is no answer to any serious question

10. Godrevy Buoy

Godrevy Buoy Well-Known Member

I think a more pertinent question at the moment is do we have:

A. A top six manager
    B. A top six coaching set up
    C. A top six game plan
    D. A top six plan B.

GLP and brownbagtiger like this.

11. BlackAndAmberGambler

BlackAndAmberGambler Well-Known Member

We have possibly 3 quality players at present, Bowen, Grosicki and Stewart. If Bowen and Grosicki go in January we are well and truly ****ed.

Sad but true.

12. Godrevy Buoy

Godrevy Buoy Well-Known Member

It feels at present like we are a car sliding downhill. Not going real fast at the moment but gathering speed little by little. Not sure that there is a plan to control that descent. The passengers will want to jump out before it crashes. Inevitable that we will lose our best players in Jan. would not bet against an offer coming in for Stewart as well.

13. brownbagtiger

brownbagtiger Well-Known Member

I think our squad is ok - not as strong as last season with the loss of Campbell, but potentially solid mid table and a bit of a cup run. Trouble is, McGann is out of his league, literally. He’s forcing the team to his system instead of reacting to how we’re playing, how the opposition is playing, and what’s happening on the pitch. We’re turning into a team who hoof the ball up front to to big men. Sounds ****y, but that’s not how we play, we’re not a team that suits Warnock-type tactics. We’re also predictable so opposition managers know to neutralise Bowen and Grosicki and we’ll fall apart.

Successful managers will get a team playing well as a whole, not just as the sum of the individual ratings. Atkins managed it last season for that lovely run we went on. I don’t think McGann has got it in him. If we do badly against Forest and Derby, we’ll be in the relegation places and I think there will be serious calls for him to go.

14. Double_Dragon

Double_Dragon Well-Known Member

The people of Hull don't deserve a Championship team nevermind a successful one.

We have no business being anywhere near the top 6 with this pitiful apathetic fanbase.

15. HGS66

HGS66 Well-Known Member

If we continue to bypass the midfield instead of playing the passing game we have the potential players for (such as Henrikson) then we’ll be lucky to survive. We don’t have a good enough target man for the current tactics and don’t even get me started on why we don’t have two men covering the short corner routine.

16. Howdentiger2

Howdentiger2 Well-Known Member

We have a top 6 capable squad, but we don't have a top 6 capable manager/coach

17. Blaknamberblood

Blaknamberblood Well-Known Member

How can the team be getting forced into the managers way of playing when he doesnt seem to know it himself ? We started the season playing a strong pressing game which faded around the 45 minutes period in every game we tried it ... that now seems to have disappeared into long hopeful punts up field with general lethargy mixed in for 90 minutes. I am not convinced by his tactics ( or lack of them) his inability to pick the correct team for matches or his inability to make to the correct subs. I for one am not Henriksens biggest fan .. but can he possibly do any worse ? But it appears he has adopted Brownies naughty step and got him firmly glued on it. Listening to his interviews he gets sulky when asked questions pertaining to his tactics akin to that other knob who left us for Leicester. He hasn't got a great squad tbh but if he had a clue how to play then we would certainly be making a better fist of it then this.

Howden Tigress and Evington like this.
  18. Evington

Evington Well-Known Member

Count me in

19. GLP

GLP Well-Known Member

I think Long/De Wijs and Burke have top 6 potential.

Stewart/Fleming and Batty are top half players.

Players with potential requiring more experience Lopes and Bowler.

20. cheshireles

cheshireles Well-Known Member

Without a proven 1 goal in every 2 or 3 games forward to take the pressure of Bowen and for us to carry a greater goal threat and be able to mix it up tactically, all the rest is immaterial in my view