1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Torreria is an arsenal player!

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by bobo_97, Jul 10, 2018.

1. bobo_97

bobo_97 Well-Known Member

Sampdoria beat arsenal to the announcement. Torreira is an arsenal player.

What do you expect from him?

2. Mantis

Mantis Well-Known Member

Just confirmed on Arsenal twitter

3. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

Good signing this! reads the game well, good passer, plenty of energy. I cant help but think this deal happened instead of Seri.

Still hoping we add another CM and a quality CB - overall this window has been pretty good.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  4. lazarus20000

lazarus20000 Well-Known Member

Happy with the signing, as the Bear points out, he brings all those skills plus he comes across as a fighter, something you need in the middle of the park. Damn i can't remember the last time we had anyone who was a fighter in our midfield. Emery will also add some more muscle to our midfield, so it'll be interesting to see how this affects Ozil, i think for the better.

5. white_gunner

white_gunner Well-Known Member

Is this the first official defensive midfielder we have in the team since Gilberto? Does flamini count? I don’t think he was originally a defensive mid.

6. lazarus20000

He's quite versatile in midfield. He's good on the ball and passes it around well, so seems like an all-round midfielder rather than a bog standard DM. For Uruguay he was everywhere and was a key player for them.

7. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44764063

So pleased with this signing <ok> As mentioned we've been crying out for a defensive midfielder for years. I was a big supporter of Wenger but this was one of the areas that used to frustrate the hell out of me. Why he couldn't see that was beyond me.

Anyway, Emery has put right in a few months what we've taken years to address, so that's a great move. Also with the other defensive players I think it will give players like Ozil and Ramsey more licence to attack <ok>

lazarus20000 likes this.
  8. lazarus20000

Not sure what we'll talk about in here, 50% of the time it was about Wenger Out, and 50% about why Wenger wasn't getting in a defensive midfielder....

PINKIE likes this.
  9. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

<laugh>

Might actually see the fans getting behind the team and the manager.

Would make a nice change <ok>

10. lazarus20000

I'm optimistic it will. The changes the management have made have been largely very positive, they've brought in some very good people to manage the club on the pitch and in the background.

But it really has died around here, hoping that it comes back to it's former self or close to that.

PINKIE likes this.

11. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Yeah likewise fella. This board became toxic with the Wenger in/Out arguments. And in the Stadium too.

I'm really hoping this unites fans and we see some great atmosphere being generated at the Emirates.

12. TheBear

I wouldn't say so.
    He's not going to hold the position like a Gilberto, Matic, Makelele.
    He's more like a cross between Kante and Veratti. Personally I would like him next to a holding player with Ramsey in front.

ToledoTrumpton likes this.
  13. ToledoTrumpton

ToledoTrumpton Well-Known Member

I think he is the pressing midfield all rounder that fits Emery's style of play. For me, he is the first serious signing of the summer. The other two were just solid opportunistic ways to fill up squad spots for a reasonable amount of money.

I think the first indication of Emery's ideas will be the first preseason team-sheet. I expect you will see a back 4, 4 all-round midfielders, Ozil or Mikhi, and only one real forward. I can see Lacazette and Welbeck getting few to no opportunities.

I think he will hold off on any other signings until he finds out how well the existing players adapt to his style of play, because who knows how Ramsey, Xhaka, and Ozil will be at pressing, or playing in his new style?

But I may be doing what I accuse you of doing and imprinting my own wishes on the situation :(

14. TheBear

Hard to say.

At PSG he has Motta, Veratti and Matuidi as a three man midfield - all of which naturally start deep. Then his front three Cavani, Mbappe and Neymar were free to interchange.

Im thinking we will see 2 deep lying midfielders and Ramsey in the No.10 position. I also think its highly likely that Ozil may struggle with the system and style.

Going to be interesting for sure - we may see more player sales and last minute acquisitions as he assesses the squad in training.

15. TheBear

I still think we need an Nzonzi type player for the same reason France have needed him this World Cup. Kante will cut out alot of balls but he will leave spaces for the opposition to run into. The same is true for Torreira.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  16. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Torreira boomdiye! True vaudeville at Arsenal <ok>

17. BobbyD

BobbyD President

Pretty sure if Wenger had made this signing he'd have got slaughtered.

Admire all your optimism as this guy is a fighter (natural from Uruguay) but he's also 5ft6.

Kante is the same height but gets away with it because he's got that burst to nip and reads the play brilliantly... not sure how good your new guy will be as a DM.

Having said that he must be an upgrade on Xhaka though who is abysmal (apologies to toledo who loves xhaka)

18. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

You seem to be a bit obsessed with his height.

How tall are you bobby ?

BobbyD likes this.
  19. lazarus20000

Watched him in the World Cup and he was one of the best Uruguayan players. He is quite quick, intercepts well, technically good with the ball and passes well. Not sure what else we would want, other than what you mentioned in height, which i'm not too bothered about.

20. BobbyD

BobbyD President

ahahaha that's irrelevant.

If he was as quick as kante or iniesta then he could probably get away with it. I don't think he is.

Also what i mean by him being a shortarse is that time after time we hear arsenal aren't physical enough and don't do well at set pieces (not sure how factual this is) but this is something that the fans have complained about.

I'm sure 5ft6 torreira is not an improvement for you boys at set pieces.