1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Tottenham Hotspur Pre-season Thread

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by PleaseNotPoll, Jul 4, 2022.

1. KingHotspur

KingHotspur Well-Known Member

Winks, Hojbjerg and Bentancur as the only options for central midfield on Saturday is not good.

2. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Sarr and White are possible depth options.

3. KingHotspur

Neither ready for PL football though.

One experienced CM with creativity would be ideal.

PleaseNotPoll likes this.
  4. PowerSpurs

PowerSpurs Well-Known Member

They were pretty much the only options for the second half of last season when we got into the top four.

5. PowerSpurs

Like Lo Celso or Ndombele?

6. "Thanks for that Brian"

"Thanks for that Brian" Well-Known Member

Personally, no.

7. KingHotspur

No thanks

8. redwhiteandermblue

redwhiteandermblue Well-Known Member

While I'd sell either one for not much, the addition who would be most useful for Conte in the PL is arguably an edge of the box technician against bunkered sides. Ndombele looked very good at that from time to time. It would be interesting to see what happened if he were asked to take on that role.

Not that it will happen.

PowerSpurs likes this.
  9. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Talent wise I think Ndombele is top 5 at the club.

But everything else he’s at the bottom of the list.

A player that could’ve very much gone on to be world class will likely have a very average career unless he sorts himself out.

If he had Hojbjerg’s mentality and attitude, we’d have probably already sold him by now to Madrid or PSG for about £100m.

10. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

If he had Lo Celso's workrate he'd be easier to shift

Instead he's swapping notes with Jean Michael Seri about how to piss away a ton of talent and wind up in the Championship when he becomes a free agent

11. Citizen Kane.

Citizen Kane. Well-Known Member

It's telling that Conte has essentially given up on both of them while other far less naturally gifted players (some of whom we were praying would leave) have noticeably improved under his guidance. Dier, Doherty, Davies and Sanchez have all looked better playing for Conte, so it is clear that he is a strong coach who is generally willing to give players a second chance.

I'm willing to believe he tried pretty much everything with the likes of Dele, Ndombele and Winks but there was no visible response on or off the pitch. I am also inclined to believe that it has more to do with their mentality than ability.

remembercolinlee likes this.
  12. PowerSpurs

I generally agree with all that but I still find it odd that football coaches essentially get a free pass to ignore potentially valuable assets. If his coaching methods can't improve Regulion, Lo Celso, Dele, Winks and Ndombele then surely he needs a wider set of methods.

13. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

Surely that is to misunderstand the role of a PL coach. He is there to produce the strongest possible team and win matches. He has to asses his player assets, work on those who can respond to development, DISCARD those who for whatever reason will not in his opinion improve the team so that other players may be brought in to raise the bar.
    He is surely not there as a general player improvement guide.

remembercolinlee likes this.
  14. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

It's been hinted for a while that Conte’s issue with Lo Celso stems from him chartering the flight for him and Cuti to play for Argentina in a WC qualifier when the club refused to release them for the game

Given that was the match against Brazil which was abandoned within minutes of kickoff when Brazilian health officials ran on the pitch because Cuti and Lo Celso were on the pitch, I'm not surprised Conte was royally ****ed off

15. PowerSpurs

That's a sensible way of looking at it but he will still not be held to account if he gets it wrong and some of those players go on to improve.
    Creating an elite team is hard and some players will not be up to it, but I still think the coach should try to improve them to maximise their value to the club, not just throw them on the scrapheap.

16. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

None of them are potentially valuable assets though, with perhaps Reguilon aside.

Dele - game was amplified due to Eriksen. Now struggles to start for a relegation candidate.
    Winks - not rated by any of our managers, nor the fans. No one currently wants him.
    Ndombele - very talented but won’t graft, you can’t coach him to work hard, that’s on him.
    Lo Celso - forgets how to kick a ball when in England. Rumoured to be disliked at the club too, we don’t want bad eggs here.
    Reguilon - good LB, currently better than Sessegnon and a solid pro. Not much I disagree with Conte on but ostracising him is one of them. I think we could actually see a surprise bid from City for him.

17. The Huddlefro

The Huddlefro Well-Known Member

Players have to be able to handle the demands though. If Tanguy can’t or won’t get fit enough to match the standards of the squad, and GLC is constantly picking up knocks and going against the wishes of the club in the ways suggested, some players are better moved on. And I do think clubs and coaches are held to account of players perform when they move on - at least in the court of public opinion. There may be factors behind why players underperform that we’re not aware of too, that mitigate how those in the game view coaches and these situations.

18. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Wasn’t sure where to post but figured it’s essentially some form of a pre season game but friendly reminder we play Motherwell at 1pm today and it’s on SpursPlay.

I’d imagine Conte will line up with something like:

Forster
    Tanganga, Sanchez, Lenglet
    Emerson, Skipp, Bissouma, Sessegnon
    Kulu, Lucas, Gil

Would love to think Spence will get a run out but I really won’t hold my breath.

19. Citizen Kane.

Citizen Kane. Well-Known Member

FB_IMG_1670588710720.jpg

I assumed Charlie Sayers will start in a back 3 with Tanganga and Bambi on Ice, with Doherty playing on the wrong flank and Spence getting a start at RWB.

20. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Djed Spence starts a game for Spurs! :1980_boogie_down:

Pleeease have even a half decent game just to remind Conte that Emerson and Doherty aren’t proper footballers. Great to see White get a run out as well, why we’ve not loaned the poor guy out though is beyond me.

No Forster, Lenglet, Emerson, Sessegnon or Lucas whatsoever.

Lankshear and Donley on the bench amongst others, both been good for the 18s so far. Hoping Devine gets minutes too, he needs a loan next month, as do one or two others. Could be some scouts in attendance taking a look at some of the younger lads so would be good if they do get minutes and impress.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2022