1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Tottenham Hotspur v Brighton & Hove Albion

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by PleaseNotPoll, Jan 29, 2021.

1. BajanSpur

BajanSpur Well-Known Member

This is terrible Big Smithy... extremely funny... but terrible.

2. littleDinosaurLuke

littleDinosaurLuke Well-Known Member

It's been a bad week all round; how things change in a week - and when you least expect it

Football, bloody hell :confused:

Anyone had this vaccine yet?

3. maggie blanchflower

maggie blanchflower Well-Known Member

Yes, had mine on Friday. :emoticon-0148-yes: Unlike the footie it was painless :emoticon-0148-yes:

audrey.s.thackeray likes this.
  4. SpursDisciple

SpursDisciple Booking: Mod abuse - overturned on appeal
    Forum Moderator

Given a vaccination rate of 2,746,528 a week and an uptake of 70.6%, you should expect to receive your first dose of vaccine between 20/04/2021 and 06/05/2021

5. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

My parents did last Friday

They spent the weekend experiencing every side effect of a flu jab between them

6. maggie blanchflower

I had no ill affects whatsoever, not even a sore spot on the arm.

7. humanbeingincroydon

Which one did you get?

8. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

If Vini started and done nothing and Bale was on the bench and we lost I can guarantee you that’s exactly what would have been said...you can’t vouch for everyone on that at all and act like it’s a myth because that’s the general pattern of behaviour for Spurs fans since our latest manager was installed.

No way we will know so I don’t know how you can say that cocksure about the 3 initial points on behalf of everyone else on here and across social media. However I have read constant criticism of line ups and subs week in and week out guaranteed regardless of the result so probability suggests I’m bang on the money with that claim and you’ve just got your end up again regarding the manager.

ive blamed Jose for certain subs and our play but certainly not as passionately as you and some others because I actually understand why he won’t play expansive with a dogshit defence ready to have a meltdown at every turn. What I haven’t done is approached his tenure with a different level of expectancy from the last manager because it’s Jose and that’s his job to win even if he’s got a squad scattered with turd.

9. maggie blanchflower

Pfizer

10. littleDinosaurLuke

When Boris levels up (the North West has done well with the roll out, the South not so much), it will be September or October, by which time some virulent strain will have rendered the vaccine useless

11. littleDinosaurLuke

There's no need to swear.

maggie blanchflower likes this.
  12. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

Weren't being cocksure ... just didn't see anyone posts thinking those things were good on the match day thread.

But his team were unwatchable between January and lockdoen last year. I went to 3 FA Cup games and a CL game in that time and only 1 of those games was any good. We were boring and unimaginative in the other 3. That pretty much sums up those 3 months. In the 9 games after lockdown we were bloody unwatchable v Bournemouth, Sheffield United, Everton and Palace.
    At the beginning of this season We weren't expansive before Xmas but we're watchable and I did not criticise.
    But since we lost to Liverpool we have been **** to watch apart from the 4 Cup games (all against lower league opposition) and Leeds and Sheffield United.
    That is what I am judging JM on.
    8 chances v Brighton (1 in the first half with no striker) and 3 v Liverpool...sorry but he is as responsible as the players for that.
    Kane was WALKING in the Liverpool game from the 15th minute onwards yet he left him on til half time and then replaced him with winks.
    People claimed that JM would instill a winning mentality and his tactical knowledge would improve us.
    Yet 15 months in, with him signing 9 new players (and giving new contracts to Dier and Alderweireld), we show no signs of a winning mentality, having blown leads (this season) to Newcastle, West Ham, Fulham, Wolves and Palace and losing in the last minute at Liverpool...that 10 points lost from winning positions, 7 of those points to goals in the 88th minute or later...we also did it v Lask in the EL too.

These are the things that make me believe he should be sacked.

I did think Pochettino should have been given the rest of that season but also accepted that I could see why people thought his time was up.

I get we are on the opposite end of this argument so ain't gonna agree but I have fully supported the team and JM when I go to games. I just think this situation is unacceptable and think that if fans were in the ground he'd be gone.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2021
  13. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

In hindsight the 6 - 1 win at Old Trafford was a liability to the team in the long run. From there the management, and that means Jose, seem convinced that relying on breaks from Kane and Son with the other 8 playing in defence was the way to go. Is that just Portuguese football or peculiar to Jose? Whatever it is it involves the law of diminishing returns as other teams realise that all you have to do is stop Kane & Son and you have Spurs beaten. Then lose Kane and nothing works at all.
    I find it quite staggering that a man with Jose's track record cannot see that and can not see that you have to change something when you lose your main man.
    We are talking basic stuff here! I don't lay claim to any tactical expertise at all, for me football is a simple game but there are some fundamental truths that you would expect all pro. mangers to accept. For a start piling on extra defenders is not going to result in a better defence just a more confused one. Footballers by and large are simple souls and need simple straightforward tasks to produce their best in a game that calls for split second decisions being the right ones. Just as piling on extra strikers rarely works up front. Measures like this are really just desperate last stands, are we really in that position?
    Is it not very telling that the only player for Spurs against Brighton who appeared to have a clue on how to win football games was Vinicius. The only player in the team who had not had the opportunity to be infected by the latest Jose method simply because he hadn't played.

Time for the manager to change or time to change the manager.

14. vimhawk

vimhawk Well-Known Member

I'm on the Novovax trial. Slight problem is that I've no idea if I've actually been vaccinated!

15. Alfie Conn

Alfie Conn Well-Known Member

Has your 5 G reception improved Maggie ?

16. Alfie Conn

Alfie Conn Well-Known Member

Bless you

17. "Thanks for that Brian"

"Thanks for that Brian" Well-Known Member

<laugh>

18. humanbeingincroydon

My parents had the one that went to Oxford, which means it must be good...

19. "Thanks for that Brian"

"Thanks for that Brian" Well-Known Member

<applause>

20. Citizen Kane.

Citizen Kane. Well-Known Member

I think it was more the West Ham collapse that did it for him. Not even Jose is stupid enough to read too much into a victory against a team playing with 10 men for over an hour and in the middle of an awful run of form.

From West Ham until the present, we've averaged around 3.5 shots on target all game. Take the Palace and Leeds games out of the equation (6 and 7 respectively) and that number drops closer to 2.8.

For a side with the attacking riches we have, that is pathetic.

As I've said before, the West Ham game was our equivalent of when we stuffed Jose 5-3 at WHL and he went uber-defensive for the rest of that season. Chelsea's goal return literally fell by 50% after that match. The difference is their back line was: Courtois, Ivanovic, Terry, Cahill, Azpilicueta protected by Matic, whereas our back line is: Lloris, Larry, Moe, Curly Joe protected by Steffen Freund Jnr.