1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Tottenham Hotspur v Crystal Palace

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by PleaseNotPoll, Nov 8, 2018.

1. SpursDisciple

SpursDisciple Booking: Mod abuse - overturned on appeal
    Forum Moderator

Good game Juan. Before you head home a quick video shoot needed.

2. bigsmithy9

bigsmithy9 Well-Known Member

Beat you,Brian.My first trip to Selhurst Park was to watch Peterborough during their Football League debut season. The ground was packed.The crowd bloody cazy...and Peterborough won 4-3....and won their league.That was in the early sixties.The FA didn't like to vote non league teams into the FL in those days.....and now we have the pyramid.....which,I think,is brilliant.
    Billericay in the FL one day,I wonder...….? Sutton too?

3. "Thanks for that Brian"

"Thanks for that Brian" Well-Known Member

I was still in nappies then mate. I had cousins who lived in Croydon and I was sent to stay with them on occasions, so long before marrying a South Londoner, I was very familiar with the area. I remember reading that you know Carshalton Beeches, which is where I live now and a very nice part of a small world.

4. bigsmithy9

bigsmithy9 Well-Known Member

Mum took us from Tottenham to Wallington via Tooting Broadway to visit nan in the late 40's.She would run away from grandad after arguments and stay with friends (the Whiteheads). When at home,she and mum would have to go to the Spurs pub to get the housekeeping money before he drunk it all.He was badly wounded in the WW1 trenches,,,,,maybe that was the reason....? He was always nice with me!

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  5. audrey.s.thackeray

audrey.s.thackeray Well-Known Member

A few belated thoughts.
    The media narrative was that Foyth had previously had a nightmare game when he gave away two penalties. That was false. As others have said, the first was not his fault, the second was pretty much his only misjudgment of the game. Otherwise he played remarkably well. But then against Palace they were quick to seize on a couple of early nervy moments and use them to suggest he was still living the nightmare. Subsequent events (not just his excellent goal) allowed them to switch to a zero-to-hero storyline. Again false. He had another excellent game. Occasional errors are normally part of everyone’s performance. But that would not be much of a story, would it!

It was good to see Wanyama on the pitch, and looking largely back to his old self. Why had I got the impression that we were not going to see him playing for us (or possibly anyone) ever again? Who put that story out?

What an excellent “catch” Moura is! A real, proper Spur!

And I know I may be in a minority, but I still don’t ”get” Lamela. Like Sissoko, who makes impressive runs with the ball now, but usually doesn’t know what to do with the ball when he gets to the end of it, Lamela always seems to make the wrong decision: he regularly tries to take on three defenders simultaneously, loses the ball, falls over, and then gets into one of his spiteful paddies, and looks for vengeance on a supposed offender. Not my cup of tea, I’m afraid, despite his occasional Hollywood moments.

And then there’s Hugo. What is going on with him at the moment? It’s nerve-racking watching him. I’ve been a big fan but there’s a feeling that he’s liable to make a significant error - every time he plays. Is it concentration? Maybe over-confidence? Eccentricity? He’s becoming more like Grobbelaar, less like Jennings, every time I watch him.

Enough of this rant, as you will probably say. I’ll get back to sorting out a song for the week after next!!!!

6. "Thanks for that Brian"

please log in to view this image

Sorry, but no. Just no.

Dier Hard likes this.
  7. Good analysis, Audrey :emoticon-0148-yes:
    Lamela really peed me off yesterday for the reasons you outline - which was a pity as he really has contributed well this season.

8. NSIS

NSIS Well-Known Member

I think it comes under the heading Brain Fart. <ok>

9. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

It was definitely Coco's poorest game of the season so far but I'm generally a fan of his. He's seems willing to take more risks than most, some pay off, others don't. I actually like his tenacity, he has a fire inside of him that I think can rub off on others to help motivate and encourage them to be more committed to the cause.

As for Wanyama, I think he looked really rusty. Made a couple of good tackles but was sloppy with possession and as someone mentioned yesterday, Sissoko was doing all the running around for him. The rumours aren't that he'll never play again but that he'll never be able to play regularly in quick succession due to a supposed chronic injury that could be similar to what Ledley had.

Not sure what's wrong with Hugo at the moment, made a great save but also flapped at a couple of corners which luckily went unpunished. He's probably aware he's not been at his best for over a year now and the drink driving incident in the summer likely hasn't helped him, it's also probably not been ideal for him that Gazza has been superb and now seemingly breathing down his neck for his spot. Some enjoy that sort of pressure and being kept on their toes, others don't and so far it's looking like Hugo is the latter. He's also 32 next month, while keepers can play for many years, they'll tend to lose some of their agility and speed when they're into their 30s and Hugo's been someone who's often relied on being extremely quick. With Gazza turning 27 in January, he's reaching what you'd think are his best years so I think Poch has to juggle trying to get Hugo back to his best but also not missing the opportunity to get Gazza more involved and have him prepared to potentially become our long term number one.

crackerman jack likes this.
  10. audrey.s.thackeray

OK - point(s) taken....... maybe I got carried away in the excitement of seeing him on the pitch at all! But he did do a few things right, and I felt really pleased for him.

Dier Hard likes this.

11. audrey.s.thackeray

His or mine?

12. NSIS

NSIS Well-Known Member

His.

He seems to think and act impulsively and just dash out, only to realise he’s not gonna make it.

He frequently does the same with crosses.

13. "Thanks for that Brian"

14. Tilly'sowner

Tilly'sowner Well-Known Member

15. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

16. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

That leap from Lucas gets more superb the more you watch it, had he not got that little flick, Benteke could've/ would've walloped that home. Mind you, the form he's in, the ball probably would've ended outside the stadium, proper gone down the ****ter.

17. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

It was Kouyate and Benteke hasn't played since September 1st, but you're right about Lucas! <laugh>
    Really superb defending, from his reading of the game to the header. He was exactly where we needed him, despite it being nothing like his role.

Dier Hard likes this.
  18. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

So it was... I now look incredibly stupid <laugh>

19. "Thanks for that Brian"

The highlights reels are getting shorter and shorter about now. It wasn't a classic.

I saw one of my brother-in-laws a couple of days ago. Weirdly, both are Palace fans but this one is a season ticket holder. He was bemoaning Palace's luck. I wasn't very sympathetic. On Saturday, we were there for the taking to my mind.

We were down to a very tired group of players after a ridiculous schedule over the last 3 weeks. Not for the first time, Roy Hodgson lacked the bravery to go for it. If he'd thrown the kitchen sink at us earlier, with lots of high balls which caused us total panic, I doubt that we'd have come away with 3 points. However, this team is showing its preparedness to dig in and win ugly (**** you, Mr Jenas) and Palace got just what they deserved for being so unadventurous.

20. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

The Jenas comment surprised me. I've often praised him as a pundit but saying we don't know how to win ugly was a bizarre statement considering we've done that a lot under Poch over the past few years. This season especially, we've yet to even really play well, so arguably all of our wins barring the second halves vs Utd and Fulham, have all been pretty ugly.