1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Tottenham Hotspur v Dinamo Zagreb

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by PleaseNotPoll, Mar 10, 2021.

1. Citizen Kane.

Citizen Kane. Well-Known Member

I'd like to keep Kane, Son and Reguilon.

The rest can piss off.

Ironically, the 3 I've listed are the 3 most likely to not be at the club come next season.

Left on the Shelf likes this.
  2. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

You won't find many who'd disagree with you.

3. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I disagree. Leaving aside youth players like Tanganga, I don't think that Hojbjerg or Rodon should go.

If Pochettino and Mourinho agree on who the problem players are, then Levy has a clear blueprint for the transfer window.
    If not, then we need to go full scorched earth and get rid of virtually everyone.
    That's a massive setback and a big risk, but there's no point in continuing with a poisonous dressing room.
    It doesn't matter who the manager is, if they're not going to pay attention to what he's saying.

4. PowerSpurs

PowerSpurs Well-Known Member

We were playing poorly but for the 68 mins Winks and Dele were on the field we were only losing 1-0. We replaced them with Ndombele and Lo Celso and conceded twice. Winks may not do much positive stuff but he at least stays in position.

Tilly'sowner likes this.
  5. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

He’s a loan signing for a reason...he was never expecting to play the same type of games he was getting at Benfica. He played in most of the cup games in the hope that it allows Kane to concentrate on the league games and that is what happened. The games Kane did play in were those that required his higher skill set due to the type of game it was...if we cruised through yesterday people would have lambasted the manager for picking him however it became apparent that we needed him(Kane). Every manager has a few disgruntled players...Rose was a regular one under Poch.

6. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Youth players don’t really come into the equation for me and I’d put Rodon in with that too despite not being proper “youth”.

Hojbjerg’s beginning to divide my opinion on him though. Brilliant in first few months, shoddy in the last couple. Fatigue no doubt has played its part but there’s aspects of his game that are also quite frustrating of late. Wouldn’t be against Skipp taking his spot in the XI.

7. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

So to prove a few knobheads wrong you expect the manager to not do his job?

he has a right to drop a player if he thinks so like every other manager in world football...yeh we might agree or disagree but you can’t expect him to be manipulated by these ‘knobheds’

You’ve got your microscope out CK

8. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I think he's just struggling with playing too many games and being paired with inferior partners.
    We need a suitable playmaker alongside him and I don't think that Sissoko, Winks or Ndombele are that player.
    Skipp would end up with the same problem, though I'd be happy to see him in the squad next season.

9. The Changing Man

The Changing Man Well-Known Member

I am very much in the give some different players their chance for the rest of this season its already car crash so as far as I am concerned those that don't have a future with us should be instructed to start looking for a new club today. Those include all the usual suspects - Dier, Winks, Sissoko, Doherty, and Aurier plus Davies, Lamela & Dele. We could at a push get £100m for those players to spend on a couple of new players.

Tanganga and Rodon should be told that they will be given every match from now until the end of season to make a place their own - The bench should contain a number of other youngsters who should be given time whenever possible to see who is ready to step up.

Barring injuries and suspensions we should be able to put out a consistent line up for the remaining league matches and the cup final.

4-3-3 - Lloris, Tanganga, Sanchez, Rodon, Regullion, Hojbjerg, Ndombele, Lo Celso, Son (Bergwijn if he is not fit), Kane and Bale. - Toby, Lucas, Hart and assorted youngsters on the bench.

As for the manager I want him to leave, but that's not happening probably until we have 60,000+ in the stadium demanding his removal, I do wonder what the atmosphere would have been like at the next home game if we were playing in front of fans - it would be pretty toxic. But with no fans until next season I am almost certain that he will be in dugout for the start of next season.

With regards Kane, if he was to ask to leave at the end of the season , we couldn't blame him, he is the best forward of his generation and he has won nothing, and as much as I would rather he went abroad I can see him going to City, 3 years at City will see him win plenty, get plenty of goals and then allow him to return to us a la Teddy and break Shearers Premier league goal scoring record in a Spurs shirt. Don't get me wrong I don't want him to leave but he should be winning things and we don't look like we will be meeting that requirement anytime soon.

10. "Thanks for that Brian"

"Thanks for that Brian" Well-Known Member

If he is, the stadium's going to look like The Emirates for a EL2 group game.

I won't be renewing my membership for that. I'll do it when this **** has been sorted out, not whilst Levy's trying to save face and making things worse.

remembercolinlee likes this.

11. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

It’ll actually be interesting to see how many renew their STs for next season. I will despite the **** show but I have a feeling a lot of fans may give them up, especially those who were probably newer ST holders that got them having been on the waiting list and far down the pecking order.

Club’s in danger of becoming another Arsenal, a big soulless stadium without a sellout crowd.

12. Left on the Shelf

Left on the Shelf Well-Known Member

Last night was a giant clusterfuck and the only upside might be that it will prove a catalyst of dearly needed change - of personnel and attitude.

What was very disappointing about last night for me was the inept performances of both Sissoko and Davies.

Neither are world beaters, but both are 100%ers. And Ben has been a pretty reliable defender if limited as a RWB.

I mean, less than 2 years ago, Sissoko was a crowd favourite for effort - even if never reaching the heights his price tag in 2016 justified.

Last night they both looked completely lost on all fronts.

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  13. PowerSpurs

PowerSpurs Well-Known Member

That's a brave call. Your starting XI has 8 players who were on the pitch for the last half hour yesterday. I don't think Tanganga, Rodon and Hjobjerg are going to be much of an improvement.
    The issue isn't the quality of our players...they are just not playing as a team. That's down to the manager. I wouldn't object to selling eight squad players for £100m if we can and buying three £50m ones instead and promoting youth, but we really need someone who can coach them to play better than the sum of the parts, not worse.

14. SpursDisciple

SpursDisciple Booking: Mod abuse - overturned on appeal
    Forum Moderator

They looked lazy and uninterested to me. No team plan would work with that.

Lovearsenalcock and Diego like this.
  15. Citizen Kane.

Citizen Kane. Well-Known Member

Totally agree. The sum of the parts of this teams is miles better than the equation Jose is currently offering. Granted, we're still a distance from competing for the PL and CL trophies, but we are more than good enough to be beating Dinamo Zagreb on a 2-0 aggregate lead. We are also more than good enough to be well clear of West ham, Chelsea and Everton in the league.

Whereas Poch took an average group and got them hitting heights few dared to dream of, Jose has taken an above average group and failed to meet every single measurable definition of success or even progress.

16. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

We definitely don’t have the desired level of quality.

Poch was sacked because he was no longer working miracles once the decline in 2017 began. Jose is likely to get sacked because even after 9 of his own signings, he’s not been able to improve on where Poch left us.

On paper we probably have the 6th best side in the country at best and I base that on quality as well as balance. City, Pool, Leicester, Utd and Chelsea either have more quality or better balance than we do.

We lack top six calibre worthy CBs, a top six calibre RB, arguably two CMs as well as a CAM, or alternatively a third CM. Some may even say GK too as Hugo is no longer at his peak.

So that’s:

Hugo/ GK
    RB, CB, CB,
    Reguilon
    CM, Hojbjerg/ CM
    Bale, CAM/ another CM, Son
    Kane

Practically more than half of our XI are not top six worthy and the rest of the squad certainly aren’t but with Bale, Son and especially Kane, we have three players that could take us to 6th, maybe even 5th if we finish the season playing in a manner that gets the best out of them. Though if this club wants to get back to being a CL side again then those in bold are needed.

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  17. "Thanks for that Brian"

"Thanks for that Brian" Well-Known Member

It's got to be said that they mirrored the manager. He looked like he'd seen the future...and he wasn't in it.

After picking Dier/Sanchez and Winks/Sissoko in the middle, I think that he was right, for once. He's got no part in our future, apart from limiting our transfer budget.

Left on the Shelf likes this.
  18. Left on the Shelf

Left on the Shelf Well-Known Member

19. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

20. BluefromBridgend

BluefromBridgend Well-Known Member

And your brother.

And then your sister. <yikes>

And won't let you watch. <whistle>

I'll get my coat.....