1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Tottenham Hotspur v Leeds United

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by PleaseNotPoll, Nov 10, 2022.

1. PowerSpurs

PowerSpurs Well-Known Member

Do you think another manager would have got more points? If not then then your complaint is unjustified because he is doing more things right than wrong. If so then you think our squad should be in the top three at least which is totally at odds with your other posts.
    A common view on here seems to be that we would do better with a slightly improved version of Conte. But that isn't available. Conte has managed in exactly the same way for all his successes. He relies on a system that all players have to play their part in. If he thinks Emerson Royal fits it better than Doherty or Spence then I don't see that any of us are qualified to disagree.

Tilly'sowner likes this.
  2. Tilly'sowner

Tilly'sowner Well-Known Member

I have gone off Conte but I admit that we are better off with him if we can secure him for the longer term. I fully agree we need some stability rather than the merry go round of recruiting new managers. I also agree that there aren’t many better options available. I think spurs are grooming Mason as a future manager though. But he’s not ready yet.

3. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Most of the posters on this board have watched hundreds, if not thousands of games.
    I think that we're all in a position to offer an opinion and managers are not infallible.

Non-league managers probably have a better understanding of the game than we do.
    Should we not object if we hire one of them and he makes questionable decisions?

4. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

I’ve not completely gone off him but I am extremely frustrated, our squad’s not perfect but it’s been capable of considerably better than what it’s done this season, as well as capable of playing better too. My patience has been well and truly tested and it’s wafer thin I’d say.

I didn’t agree with the Reguilon decision but understood it if the thought process was because Sessegnon was HG and therefore with Perisic’s arrival, the backup LWB being HG saved a space for a potential Non HG first team player. If it was based on talent, I think Conte got it extremely wrong as Reguilon is clear of Sessegnon.

The Emerson stuff is just on another level though. To have two other options, both of whom are natural RWBs and one especially feels tailored to Conte’s style yet barely use them in favour of someone who clearly can’t play the role is a real head scratcher and if Conte wasn’t aware of fan’s discontent at the decision before the weekend, he will have been now.

KingHotspur likes this.
  5. PowerSpurs

I'm entirely happy with people posting their opinions but when it turns into the crowd getting on Emerson Royal's back every time he has the ball then I think that is very unhelpful.
    Of course any manager is going to make mistakes but it only helps to point them out if that would lead to them being corrected.
    Showing irritation at Conte's decisions is hardly likely to convince him to stay, is it?

6. PowerSpurs

Based on the fact that hardly any managers seem to make any difference at all to the long term performance of their club, I think it is quite plausible that almost no managers have a better understanding of the game than the posters on here. But Conte is definitely a member of the small group who do.

7. PowerSpurs

There is little point in having one of the few managers who demonstrably have an edge if they have to respond to the will of the fans. Do you think the entire coaching team has failed to notice that Emerson Royal is not very good? Or they are too scared to point that out? Much more likely that they have reasons that they don't want to make public. It doesn't even matter if selecting Emerson Royal is demonstrably wrong....the overall outcome of having Conte is demonstrably better.

8. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

It would actually seem so, yes.

9. KingHotspur

KingHotspur Well-Known Member

I don’t think the club can get a better manager than Conte in some respects but some of his decisions, tactics, selections and comments annoy me.

Tilly'sowner likes this.
  10. KingHotspur

And also by now I would have expected the club to be controlling games and/or have an expansive style of play.

If you’re going to be defensive and counterattacking then you need good solid defenders. Spurs don’t have that and Conte isn’t getting the best out of ones he does have.

Tilly'sowner and PleaseNotPoll like this.

11. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

We don't have any holding midfielders, either.
    They're all comfortable in the tackle and work hard, but they're all box-to-box players.
    Bissouma's still adapting, Skipp's coming back from injury and the other two have played too much.

Tilly'sowner and KingHotspur like this.
  12. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

The issue isn't the defenders but the midfield: we have four CMs in our first team but no real DM

We're trying to recast Bissouma as a Kante-style midfielder, while Skipp sometimes does play quite Parker-like, but our main pairing is Hojbjerg & Bentancur and neither can be compared to parker, Sandro, Wanyama etc

13. KingHotspur

Bissouma still adapting I blame Conte too, he’s not given him enough time. Players will get used to the demands by playing more than training imo.

Skipp’s injury has been frustrating and hopefully after the break, he will be a lot fitter but again, he’s going to need game time and unfortunately Conte will just keep picking Hojbjerg and Bentancur unless they’re physically unable to play.

Tilly'sowner and PleaseNotPoll like this.
  14. KingHotspur

That’s on the club and manager though. Why spend all that money on players that don’t fit the criteria

15. PowerSpurs

Unless there is a perfect manager out there that will always be true. I am absolutely confident that Conte gets more decisions right than wrong. The process he uses to ensure that might even be optimised. Everyone makes a lot of bad decisions and mistakes. It's not something deserving of criticism.

16. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

People making bad decisions and mistakes aren't deserving of criticism? What?

Lovearsenalcock and KingHotspur like this.
  17. PowerSpurs

Let the one who has never made a mistake make the first criticism....

18. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

He's being paid to do a job.
    It's entirely normal for people making mistakes in those circumstances to receive criticism.
    That's especially true of those paying towards his salary.

Tilly'sowner and KingHotspur like this.
  19. PowerSpurs

In financial services you can prove that getting 55% of decisions right is world class. I would be surprised if that wasn't approximately true everywhere.

20. PowerSpurs

Only if he is making more mistakes than he ought to. That is a lot more than zero.