1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Tottenham Hotspur v Leicester City Match History 1914-2015

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by THFC6061, Dec 23, 2014.

1. THFC6061

THFC6061 Well-Known Member

please log in to view this image

Leicester City host Tottenham Hotspur at the King Power Stadium on Boxing Day, Friday 26th December 2014 (KO 15:00) in the 18th round of 2014-15 Premier League Matches.

The Foxes come into the match in bottom place in the Table on 10 points, while Spurs are in 7th place on 27 points. This will be the 106th time the two teams have played each other.

Leicester were founded in 1884 as Leicester Fosse by old schoolboys from Wyggeston School, joining the Football Association in 1890. They moved to Filbert Street in 1891 and were elected to the Second Division of the Football League in 1894. They won promotion to Division One in 1908-09, the same season in which Tottenham Hotspur joined the League in Division Two.

The first meeting between the clubs came in the first round of the FA Cup (today's third round) in January 1914 at Filbert Street and ended in an astonishing 5-5 draw. Spurs won the replay 2-0 at White Hart Lane.

Financial difficulties before World War One forced Leicester Fosse to fold and the club was restructure under the new name of Leicester City. The first League meeting with Spurs came in September 1919 at the Lane in Division Two with Tottenham winning 4-0. The reverse fixture was also won by Spurs 4-2.

The next meeting came in Division One in October 1925 with the Foxes winning 5-3 at Filbert Street and completing the double with a 3-1 win at the Lane in March 1926.

The clubs met for four more seasons in the Top Flight and two seasons in Division Two before League football was suspended during World War Two.
    Four games were played during the War years and when the League resumed the clubs played for four more seasons in the Second Division before Spurs won promotion in the 1949-50 season.

Every League encounter from the 1954-55 season onwards between Spurs & Leicester has been in the Top Flight.

The 1960-61 FA Cup Final at Wembley saw Tottenham beat Leicester 2-0 with goals from Bobby Smith and Terry Dyson to complete the League & Cup "Double" for the first time in the 20th Century.

The clubs participated in the 1977 pre-season Nolia Cup in Sweden with Spurs winning 2-1.

Spurs were founder members of the Premier League in 1992-93 but the first game against Leicester only came in September 1994 with the Foxes winning 3-1.

Tottenham won their second Wembley Final against Leicester when they finished 1-0 winners in the 1999 Football League Cup Final with Alan Nielsen grabbing the only goal.

In 2002, Leicester moved from Filbert Street into their new home, which was first called Filbert Way and then Walkers Stadium. It was re-named King Power Stadium in August 2010.

Leicester have had the better record in the 16 Premier League games played so far with 8 wins to Tottenham's 5 with the other 3 games drawn.
    The last meeting came in the FA Cup third round in January 2006 with Leicester winning 3-2 on home soil.

Two current Spurs players had loan spells with the Foxes: defender Kyle Naughton in 2010-11 (34 appearances, 5 goals) and striker Harry Kane in 2013 (13 appearances, 2 goals).

Overall, Spurs have won 54 of the 105 games played with Leicester winning 33 and the remaining 18 matches drawn. Spurs are due to host Leicester at White Hart Lane on Saturday 21st March 2015.

They Played for Spurs & Leicester...

Ben Alnwick
    Joe Barlow
    Tommy Clay
    Stephen Clemence
    Terry Fenwick
    Les Ferdinand
    Steffen Freund
    Márton Fülöp

Ricky Hill (Spurs coach, City player)
    Jimmy Holmes
    Percy Humphries
    Harry Kane
    Kasey Keller
    Paul Konchesky

Bill Lane
    Billy Leech
    Gary Lineker
    Jim Milliken
    Fred Milnes
    Paul Moran
    Kyle Naughton
    Taffy O'Callaghan

David Pleat (manager with both clubs)
    Tom Roberts
    Buchanan Sharp
    Harry Sparrow
    Cyril Spiers (Spurs player, City coach)
    Peter Taylor (Spurs player, City manager)
    Ben Thatcher
    Ian Walker
    Ralph Ward
    Keith Weller
    Mark Yeates

2. redwhiteandermblue

redwhiteandermblue Well-Known Member

Thanks for another great match thread, THFC!

I was taking a gander at the stats... our current starting front four are our leading goal/assist per minute players (which makes sense), and range from 97 (Kane) to 150 something Eriksen. So those four together should score around three goals a game--or would, except all the numbers are inflated by the early round cup games. Saying they should score around two a game in the PL seems about right, though. Kane, Lamela and Chadli have all improved significantly from last year. Erikson's dropped off a bit, but not much, not surprising since he's become more of a playmaker and less of a sharpshooter.

3. THFC6061

4. THFC6061

Mark Lawrenson's Prediction for Leicester City v Tottenham Hotspur

I could save a lot of time here and just say Tottenham will nick a 2-1 win in the last minute.

That was the story of their last away game against Swansea, just as it was against Hull and Aston Villa in the last couple of months too.

Leicester have lost nine of their last 10 league games and are in real danger of just slipping away.

They are five points adrift of safety and desperately need to arrest the slide they are on.

They should not look at Spurs and see anything to be scared of and, if they avoid making silly mistakes, they have a chance of picking up at least a point.

Lawro's prediction: Leicester City 1-1 Tottenham Hotspur

Lawro's 2014-15 Premier League Predictions

5. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Going into the game in good form and if we can play like we have in the past two games then I'm confident we can leave Leicester with a good result.

Same team that started on Saturday would be my choice, unless Mason's injury does keep him out in which I'd put Stambouli in alongside Nabs.

Looking at THFC6061's goals and assists table was interesting. I mentioned in a past post that stats can make a player look a lot better or a lot worse than what they have actually been on the pitch, I mean if you looked at Nabs' stats, you'd think he's been ineffective and contributed very little yet I'd place him alongside Kane and Chadli as a frontrunner for our player of the season award and yet Lamela, who stands 2nd in combined goals and assists has frustrated many of us at times with some of his play. Funny old game.

6. Blue and White

Blue and White Well-Known Member

This might have been true a few weeks ago but IMO our turn around in form has coincided with Eriksen getting back to his best.

7. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

He's so bitter! <laugh>

Thanks for another year's worth of excellent match threads, THFC6061. <ok> Much appreciated.
    It's always nice to browse the history of the fixture, check out how things have gone in the past, the connections between the clubs and take part in Paul Stewart Watch.

Rather odd to note that Kyle Naughton scored more goals (5) during his time with Leicester than Harry Kane did (2).
    It's the only time that our backup right-back's netted more than a solitary league goal for a club.
    I'm hoping that Kane will show the locals how much he's improved since his loan there.

8. redwhiteandermblue

redwhiteandermblue Well-Known Member

I agree, I think. I would say our turnaround has happened because Pochettino, the team and/or Eriksen realize we need him on the ball as much as possible in the middle of the pitch, because his ability to make good decisions and get it to the right player are unparalleled on the team. But I also think that may result, and maybe already has resulted, in him scoring and assisting less.

9. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

I also think the form is a result of having a settled XI recently. I'd say that right now, 10 out of the 11 spaces in the starting XI are guaranteed to Lloris, Davies, Vertonghen, Fazio, Walker, Bentaleb, Mason, Chadli, Eriksen and Kane providing their form is maintained or bettered and don't suffer any injuries. The RW spot is the only position still up for debate for me. Lamela was superb on Saturday and has been brilliant there in the cups but his League form has been pretty disappointing for the most part, where as Lennon offers good width and massively helps out his full back, if Lamela can push on from the Burnley performance then I'd say we have a definite first 11 there, though if it goes a bit patchy again I'd give Lennon a run for a few games once he's back from injury and see how it goes.

10. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

Given the small gap between this game and the next, it'll be interesting to see how Pochettino approaches them, especially given the frequency of our recent fixtures.
    3 games in 7 days, a small break of 6 days and the another 3 games in 7 days isn't ideal. Rotation might be needed.

11. Blue and White

Blue and White Well-Known Member

Put out our strongest team today. Maybe rotate for Chelsea as we are not challenging them for our league position and then strong team again against Man U.

SOS even though Walker has the RB position at present, I am looking forward to Yedlin taking it over. He could be the next Bale IMO.

12. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

Sky said Adebayor is in the match day squad <yikes>

13. Moorpheus19

Moorpheus19 Well-Known Member

That's fine if the fixture list was Leicester, Chelsea and Man Utd but it's not - it's Leicester, Man Utd then Chelsea

14. No Kane No Gain

No Kane No Gain Well-Known Member

Stambouli and Rose in for Mason and Davies, nothing too drastic, pleased with that line up.

15. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

Lloris; Walker, Fazio, Vertonghen, Rose; Bentaleb, Stambouli; Lamela, Eriksen, Chadli; Kane.
    Subs: Vorm, Chiriches, Davies, Mason, Paulinho, Townsend, Soldado.

Might've been an idea to leave Mason out completely, given the injury he picked up in the last game and the options that we have available in his position.
    Not sure how the two changes will affect the team balance. Didn't really want the defence to be switched at all, to be honest.

16. No Kane No Gain

No Kane No Gain Well-Known Member

Think Rose might allow Bentaleb to sit a bit more. Bit worried about Bentaleb and Walker as they've both been thrown straight into things after injuries and remained there barely getting a rest but the other options aren't good enough.

Pochettino said he wanted Mason to be confident in what his body can cope with. Probably a reference to him allowing his past injury record to believe the worst when he got clattered at Burnley so he probably wasn't as injured as we all feared at the time.

17. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

KANE! 59 seconds, 1-0.

18. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

Wow...great start...coys

19. The Mighty Thor

The Mighty Thor Well-Known Member

Let's get another.

20. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

Rose looking a bit dodgy. Not doing the simple stuff well.