1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Tottenham Hotspur v Leicester City

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by PleaseNotPoll, Sep 20, 2019.

1. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

please log in to view this image

Saturday 21st September 12.30pm
    Premier League
    King Power Stadium​

Our excellent performance against Palace was soon forgotten, as we followed it up with mediocrity.
    Athens may have been in good voice, but it wasn't for the fare that we were offering up, unfortunately.
    The stuttering start to the season has extended to Europe and we need to sort it out quickly.
    Leicester fans will probably be slightly more optimistic about their start under Brendan Rodgers.
    Can we repeat our last league display or will it be more of the same stuff that we saw in Greece?

Claude Puel's time as Leicester manager came to an end last season with the club in mid-table.
    His dour style doesn't seem to have done him many favours in English football.
    He repeated the mixed results that he'd had at Southampton and an FA Cup shock didn't help, either.
    A quarter-final defeat to City in the League Cup is fair, but a 3rd round elimination to Newport isn't.
    Pairing it with five defeats and a draw in the league was too much and he was fired.

His controversial replacement was the then Celtic manager, Brendan Rodgers.
    The decision to leave a club on the verge of some historic records had many questioning the decision.
    Leicester's form definitely picked up after his arrival though and he steered them to a 9th place finish.
    Time will tell if he learned enough in that time to justify the early move, but he's doing pretty well now.
    2 wins, 2 draws and a loss so far this season is decent, having faced Chelsea, Man Utd and Wolves.

Our visit to the King Power last season was a fairly dour affair, lit up by a couple of good goals.
    Both sides had moments of pressure and dominance, but chances were at a premium.
    Vardy was missing for Leicester, while Kane and Eriksen were benched with Barca in mind for Spurs.
    The first half threatened to end with a dull stalemate until Son pulled out a magnificent strike in injury time.
    Alli made it 2-0 with a header before the hour and the lead rarely looked like it could slip away:

The game at Wembley came at a difficult time, as we played on Sunday with Dortmund looming.
    A controversial Michael Oliver display and some real quality from Leicester made it a tough task.
    We took the lead after 33 minutes, as Sanchez headed home an Eriksen cross from a short corner.
    Vardy threatened to equalise from the spot, as he took a penalty with his first touch, but Lloris palmed it away.
    Eriksen extended the lead minutes later, before Vardy pulled one back and Son finished it off at the death:

Lo Celso and Sessegnon continue to miss out through injury, but it seems like everyone else is available.
    James and Amartey are ruled out for Leicester and neither side has any suspensions.

Lineups for each side's last league game:

Spurs: Lloris; Aurier, Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Rose; Sissoko, Winks; Lamela, Eriksen, Son; Kane.
    Subs: Gazzaniga, Davies, Dier, Wanyama, Ndombele, Alli, Moura.

Leicester: Schmeichel; Pereira, Evans, Soyuncu, Chilwell; Ndidi; Gray, Tielemans, Chouhury, Maddison; Vardy.
    Subs: Ward, Morgan, Justin, Praet, Barnes, Albrighton, Perez.

Referee: Paul Tierney. VAR: Chris Kavanagh.

TV: BT Sport 1.

How would you like to line up for this one and what would you change from the Olympiakos game?
    Would you return Aurier to the starting lineup or try someone else at right-back?
    Which system and tactics would you use and what are you expecting Leicester to go with?

Tilly'sowner likes this.
  2. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Note Eric Dier at right-back in the 6-1...

Spurf and maggie blanchflower like this.
  3. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

Just remember...I have been given permission to inflict this ****e on you lot!

When I was a kid there was a chant that went...
    "We're all going Leicester with our willies hang out
    We're all going Leicester with our willies hang out
    We're all going Leicester
    All going Leicester
    All going Leicester with our willies hanging out...singing
    I got a bigger one than you,
    I got a bigger onre than you
    Singing I igot a bigger I got a bigger
    I got a bigger one than you"

Always wondered why we were going to Leicester when they weren't in the same league as us.

But what really confused me was whether those singing "willies" had more than one or it was a collective thing ... but I was mostly confused why were they out and why they came in different sizes
    <yikes>
    (Not that I get complaints <whistle>)

As an adult I find it hard to think of a current manager he that I would never accept as a spurs manager and as hard as I try I can not get past Brendan Rogers for the top of the list.

The man is a walking cliche of a mid life crisis who has read a motivation speech for beginners book...and as for those teeth...that he paid thousands for
    giphy (29).gif

The Premier League's insistence of fair competition has seen us play away in Greece on Wednesday Night and kick off away at Leicester at 12.30pm Saturday morning...no stupidity here folks...nope....no siree...move along now...nothing to see... happens to everyone.

Leicester's tactic will be to pull and push and trip our players in the box knowing that they'll get a yellow card instead of a penalty (worked a treat at Wembley) while attacking wise, the rest hoof it to Madison and Vardy and pray!

Spurs will have a much more subtle, carefully laid out plan which involves a struggling centre back playing at fullback, a want away centreback playing with want a new contract centre back.
    This will enable us to do a very passable impression of the Arsenal back 4 playing out against Watford .

We will play a want away midfielder to fulfil the role of giving the ball away, we will play our soon to be injured again Argentine to give away needless free kicks and get yet another yellow card.

No one will pass to Kane so he'll revert back to playing as a centre back to get a touch of the sodding ball.

We will give a way a goal just before ht so the fans can enjoy a second half of feeling our hearts digging their way out of our chests.

Danny Rose was apparently suffering from whiplash (which is why he did not travel to Greece). He saw Aurier drop a crumb of chocolate from a mars bar and managed to catch it in his mouth before it hit the floor <whistle>

All the smart money is on Vardey being an annoying twat and me having to put on a fake smile all of Saturday as I am spending it with my Leicester supporting father inlaw snd chelsea supporting mother inlaw.

Coys

4. Citizen Kane.

Citizen Kane. Well-Known Member

Hugo
    Aurier Toby Jan Rose
    Tanguy Dier
    Lamela Alli Son
    Kane

Subs: Gazza, Davies, Dave, KWP, Sissoko, Winks, Lucas.

Not in the squad: Eriksen

5. vimhawk

vimhawk Well-Known Member

Agreed about Eriksen. It's all very well when the pundits talk about "best player" but what they are really saying as "best player when at their best" - which is a completely different thing! You then have to work out how many games of frustration / giving the ball away you have to put up with until you get their best. I've lost patience with Eriksen I'm afraid.

I would always play Sissoko though, as our midfield looks really lightweight without him. This may change in future with New-Sissoko-Who-Can-Shoot, but I don't think he's quite ready to take on that responsibility.

6. Citizen Kane.

Citizen Kane. Well-Known Member

I'd like to think Dier - in the long run - provides more brawn than Sissoko. I'm a huge fan of Moussa's but I'm sticking to my guns here and saying that we'll only get the best out of Tanguy if he's partnered with a hatchet-job player. Wanyama is broken so that leaves Dier. I sincerely hope he can rediscover fitness and form and ultimately help us to control the midfield (currently a huge issue leading to us leaking goals), as imho any other CM pivot leaves us unbalanced and porous.

7. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Hugo
    Aurier, Toby, Jan, Rose
    Tanguy, one of Dier/ Sissoko/ Winks
    Lamela, Eriksen, Son
    Kane

Eriksen completely deserves dropping after Wednesday’s mare of a display but until Lo Celso or even Alli are fully fit he’s the only one who can play that CAM role.

8. The Changing Man

The Changing Man Well-Known Member

At least Leicester at home should try and play a bit and the game might be quite open.

As for our team surely the same starting line up and formation as for Palace would make sense?

9. KingHotspur

KingHotspur Well-Known Member

No Eriksen equals no creativity and ultimately no chance of victory judging by past performances without him

I’m baffled by some of you on here who seem to love Sissoko but dislike Eriksen.

Eriksen is a great technical footballer who can create and score (has scored many winners for Spurs)

Sissoko runs around a lot and tries hard but has no skill and would probably miss an open goal from 2 yards.

10. remembercolinlee

I think people praise Sissoko cos:

A) he has improved beyond all recognition
    and
    B) he does his job well most games

Eriksen in the past 6 months or so has notdone his job well in most games and this pisses fans off.

If he was 7 or 8 out of 10 every week you wouldnotbe hearing the moaning... Toby wants away (like Eriksen) but plays to a 7 or 8 out of 10 most weeks so he gets no criticism.

Eriksen needs to get bsck to his form up until last March.

Since then he has rarely played to his previous standards.

Lovearsenalcock and Spurf like this.

11. deedub93

deedub93 Well-Known Member

Deli, Hugo and Big Dave not travelled, Parrott and Tanganga have.

12. remembercolinlee

Are Hugo and Dele injured?

13. deedub93

Dunno mate, Hugo said a few things in the press earlier in the week that may have not gone down well. Deli looked unfit in midweek.

14. deedub93

15. KingHotspur

No issue with Lloris, his wife has just given birth so he’s with her

16. The Huddlefro

The Huddlefro Well-Known Member

Looks like a diamond folks

Quite surprised to see Dier, Vic and Skippy on the bench and no Parrott

deedub93 likes this.
  17. KingHotspur