1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Tottenham Hotspur v Leicester City

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by PleaseNotPoll, Dec 18, 2020.

1. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

Brace yourselves: you're about to see a hell of a lot of pass maps...

Going back to my mini essay about how the back line are getting predictable with their out ball due to Sissoko never seeming to be in position to receive one, I've gone over a few games worth to see then this started happening - and the thing is that, it appears to be a deliberate choice, and one that's becoming less effective as time goes on, so this isn't me bagging on Sissoko more on the role he's playing which is becoming less effective

Case in point, let's start with two of our first three games of the season*

* I'll point out now that there's a simple reason why I'm not including the Southampton game: Winks and Hojbjerg swapped roles during the game, so you don't get a fair representation of the match from the pass map

In our opening game against Everton you can see Hojbjerg is an outlet for both CBs while Winks also serves as one for Dier, albeit not as regularly as Hojbjerg is for Toby (and, honestly, I can't see if there's any passes from Toby to Winks due to the massive Hojbjerg blob obscuring the map) while in the Newcastle game from the end of September you can see an equal amount of passes from the CBs going to Winks and Hojbjerg, with the two of them also being available to receive passes from their respective fullbacks

When you look at the Man Utd pulping in October, however, you can see that Hojbjerg is the main outlet for the CBs while Sissoko simply isn't one at all, as neither Sanchez or Dier are passing to him, although he remains an outlet for Aurier and Ndombele as well as a layoff for Hojbjerg. And the strategy remained in the next match, against West Scam, as once again Sissoko isn't receiving any passes from the CBs but remains an outlet for Aurier and a layoff for Hojbjerg, although in that game you can't help but notice how few passes Hojbjerg got to him. And this pattern continues, in our matches against West Brom and Brighton, and while you can see Toby finding Sissoko against Brighton you can also see a dramatic decrease in passes reaching him even compared to the West Brom game, while against The Sheikh Mansour Team you can see Sissoko sticking to Aurier like glue so while he isn't receiving passes from the CBs he is covering the right hand side and working as a layoff for Aurier, meanwhile against Burnley you can see Toby finding him reasonably often

The issue is that, after this, you can start seeing him being isolated more and more

Looking at the Chelsea match you can see that he is offering an out ball for Rodon, but look at the lack of any passes from Hojbjerg or Ndombele, or how he doesn't find a single teammate, meaning he's turning into the Bermuda Triangle our right flank was for most of last season

In the NLD his role was different, as he was much higher up the pitch pressing their midfield, so he wasn't supposed to receive balls from the CBs and instead create a path between Hojbjerg and Lo Celso, and this is what he did because Hojbjerg and Lo Celso were pinging it back and forth all game

But then you look at the last three games and you see a real problem

Starting with the Palace game, you see Sissoko sitting deep - deeper than Hojbjerg in fact - and yet while Hojbjerg is receiving passes from Dier and Alderiweireld, Sissoko's not receiving a single pass in spite being in the better position to do so and, while receiving the ball from Hojbjerg and Aurier, he also isn't receiving it from Ndombele to retain possession

And this really stands out when compared to our Europa League games, where we change things up not just with personnel but also with distribution
    Plovdiv: Hojbjerg receives the ball, while Sissoko plays a more advanced role
    A North Macedonian team: Winks and Ndombele both receive the ball from the back
    Maccabi Haifa: Hojbjerg drops back while Winks is the outlet for him and Davies
    LASK: Winks and Hojbjerg are both available for passes from the back
    Antwerp: a complete ****ing mess where Lo Celso is playing deeper than Winks
    Ludogorets: Winks and Sissoko both receiving passes out from the back
    Ludogorets: Winks and Ndombele both receiving passes out from the back
    LASK: Hojbjerg receiving passes while Lo Celso plays a more advanced role
    Antwerp: a hideous formation where Winks is passing backwards all the time

And this is why the system we're using in the league and seem to have by and large stuck with since the Man Utd game is starting to become a problem, because when we have a midfield pivot yet are set up in a way when only one of those players is an out ball for our CBs, we're creating a potential flaw that our opponents can exploit in much the same way that Poch persisting with THAT BASTARD DIAMOND last season also rapidly became a flaw that could be exploited as that system had three CMs on the pitch but only Winks was receiving passes from the back and that very quickly fell apart as opponents knew who to target

And the issue is, this is clearly a tactical choice as there's clear variations in the system that have been used, for example in one variation (against Everton and Newcastle, plus most Europa games) both CMs are dropping back for the ball, in others you have one sitting while the other pushes up (Plovdiv, LASK), and there's also specific roles for specific games (NLD, Sheikh Mansour Team) even though in some games our CBs clearly needed more than one option to receive the ball, for example when West Scam were getting back into that game the CBs needed as much help as they could get and yet, in spite of this, Hojbjerg was the only midfield outlet

So what's the solution?

Well for one thing, hindsight does say that there's been games where it would have been better if Winks was there to pick up the ball from the back and make the percentage plays so we could retain the ball, most obviously the Palace match, and against Burnley Winks made more sense given how they were sitting back - yet on the other hand, he certainly wouldn't have been the option against Saltypool because, even though our defence needed somebody to pass to in the second half, Winks' lack of press resistance would've made it a moot point

Similar can be said for Ndombele, who on paper can receive a ball in a deep position and drive up the pitch with it to create an opening, which certainly would've been an option against Saltypool the other night as he could break through their press, and him moving the ball forward at pace is a weapon to use against teams sitting back, and yet judging by the advanced role he plays in the league he's simply not trusted to start in the more physically demanding CM role yet - which brings Lo Celso into the argument, as he has the competitiveness to play there, but doing so removes his goal threat entirely, especially when he's playing so ludicrously deep like he did against Antwerp that makes me wonder GLC and Winks got confused who was playing what role in that match as that makes more sense than that being a tactical decision

There's a solution in the team somewhere, but the point is the solution starts by ending this tactic of only passing out to Hojbjerg as it's limiting our options going forward while stifling our options when defending, and that's baffling to me

2. PowerSpurs

PowerSpurs Well-Known Member

None of this alters the fact that all five players that keep him out of the team, namely Bergwijn, Lucas, Lamela, Lo Celso and Ndombele have been worse. I don't buy the idea that they work harder either.

3. The Changing Man

The Changing Man Well-Known Member

But to be fair we don't see them in training, and in the cases of the players you mention I get the impression that the manager has a greater trust that they will follow his instructions, he is not big on 'free spirits'.

4. FosseFilberto

FosseFilberto Pizzeria Superiore and some ...
    Forum Moderator

Some managers just don't fancy certain players ... we have a similar issue with Demarai Gray and Brenda ... Will almost certainly be moved on in January ...

5. Billy The Spur

Billy The Spur Well-Known Member

The treatment of Dele is disgusting in my opinion, none of Lucas, Bale, Bergwjin or Lamela have done anything to deserve being picked ahead of him. We miss a player of Dele`s ilk, just like we miss Eriksen, unfortunately Mourinho is a defense first manager and prefers players who can get up and down to defend, which at the same time takes away most of their attacking threat.

The main problem though, is Sissoko, a Carthorse of a player who has the touch of an Elephant, who hides from the ball and is afraid to pass it more than 5 yards unless it is back to Hugo or a CB. He can`t pass, can`t shoot and shietes himself when he gets within range of the opposition goal, his lack of ability on the ball is a major handicap and all his perceived good defensive covering does not outweigh the negative impact he has on our ability to play football.

As for Aurier, he will ultimately always let us down eventually, just when it looked like he had turned a corner and found some consistency he goes and gives away another brainless penalty. He will never learn and remove the brain fart moments.

Any team with Sissoko and Aurier as first choice players will ultimately fail sooner or later. In January I would love a quality RB and an upgrade on Sissoko, preferably somebody who can play football with his head up, has a range of passing and also can get around the pitch.

Lovearsenalcock and KingHotspur like this.
  6. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Bergwijn and Lucas are wingers so they won’t be keeping him out the team. Lamela is predominantly one too albeit has played in the 10 role once or twice.

It’s only Ndombele and Lo Celso directly stopping Dele getting into the team and I’ve already said both have so far been massive flops who haven’t been able to replicate the creativity Eriksen brought. Right now we don’t have any good creative midfielders and it’s why Kane’s assists are so high as he’s had to take on the mantle, it’s also why Dele should be sold and arguably Lo Celso too as he’s made of glass like Lamela, and use those funds to try and get someone good enough.

7. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

So apart from that are you happy?

8. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

In general yes. But if we want to stop being bridesmaids we need to be more ruthless with those who won’t take us beyond where we are.

9. KingHotspur

KingHotspur Well-Known Member

So you’re writing off Lo Celso and Ndombele as well as Dele? You’re making me look like a happy fan these days <laugh>

10. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Not quite, I don't write players off after three and a half games ;)

Dele though absolutely. 6 and a half years and he's regressed severely. Wait much longer and I'll be collecting my free bus pass.
    Ndombele no but he needs to fix up, the talent is there but his fitness is pathetic and his consistency also needs improving.
    Lo Celso is heading down the Lamela route, a £45m player that breaks down every 5 games is not what we need. Doesn't matter how good a player is, if they miss loads of games they become a pointless member of the squad, which is what his fellow compatriot is.

Lovearsenalcock likes this.

11. vimhawk

vimhawk Well-Known Member

I thought I'd be getting my free bus pass next year. But recently I realised that having recently moved to Cheshunt I don't qualify for one any more. I'm slow like that. Now what were we talking about?

Dier Hard likes this.
  12. Billy The Spur

Billy The Spur Well-Known Member

Dele Alli is one of our few creative players, but he does not fit into Mourinho`s defensive counter attacking style of football, he is being harshly treated and a victim of Mourinho`s brand of football. He may have regressed due to different reasons such as niggling injury problems and a change of coach, but he has still returned decent statistics compared to several other players who play far more regularly.

In the PL 18/19 he had 5 goals and 3 assists in 25 games, and in 19/20 8 goals and 4 assists in 25 games, which is more productive than Lucas in far less games for example. Dele set himself very high standards, so writing him off after a drop off in his excellent stats is stupid. Dele is a victim of our manager`s negative brand of football, most other managers would be building a fine attacking team around Dele Alli, rather than building it around the lumbering carthorse that is Mousa Sissoko.

Many a top attacking player has been the victim of Mourinho`s crap brand of football, and it appears Dele is the next to suffer. This season we do not know how Dele is playing because he is never on the pitch, and I don`t buy this nonsense about him being a poor trainer as the reason he does not get picked, that is just put out there to justify leaving him out, was he a crap trainer under Poch also, if so, give me a crap trainer who does it on a match day over a great trainer who does nothing in a match any day.

I hope if Dele leaves it is only on loan, because if the results dry up for Mourinho and we fail to make the CL, along with this dire brand of football, the fans will soon be on his back, and he could be on his bike sooner rather than later.

KingHotspur likes this.
  13. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

What use is a bus pass when the bus is parked?

KingHotspur likes this.
  14. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

So what's Dele's excuse for roughly the 18 months prior to Jose's arrival, or are you going to somehow blame Jose for that too?

Dele's ridden his luck in the team for far too long prior to Jose coming in, when Jose arrived Dele's form actually took an upturn but as RCL and I have pointed out, it dropped back off after about 7 games. Blaming Jose for Dele's slump is an absolute cop out, he's been poor for roughly two years now, probably longer in fact and a bit of stat padding last season (thanks to Jose) doesn't cover it up well enough.

I also don't see the logic in comparing Dele, a luxury number ten, to Sissoko, a combative CM. And calling Sissoko lumbering is a reach too, he's probably the fittest player in the squad and also one of the fastest. Up until last week he'd been vital in Spurs reaching top spot as his partnership with Hojbjerg and his work helping out Aurier especially allowed us to be defensively sound. Sissoko may not be a glamorous player with bags of skill but he grafts his arse off and helps protect the defence. The problem in the last week is that Jose has ran so many players into the ground that we're now looking laborious and without the bite that we'd seen for a number of games. That's certainly something Jose needs to improve on otherwise we'll start seeing more poor performances and results.

But back to Dele, when a player is 6 and a half years into their spell at a club and they're worse off than when they started (far worse too), trying to blame the manager who's been here just over a year for their failings just shows a bias. Dele only has himself to blame, he had enough chances under Jose last season to truly cement his spot and he didn't convince. Others haven't been great either but someone has to miss out and so far it's him. Pochettino should've dropped Dele for a spell too but never did and ultimately Poch's trust in him along with too many others that were letting him down ultimately cost him his job.

15. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

After Kane and Son our next highest goal scorer in the PL is on 1 goal and Bergwijn doesn’t even appear on that list

for what we aspire...it’s not good enough from someone who occupies one of our 3 attacking berths.

we won’t challenge unless everyone contributes with their skill set

more so than tactics for me the players aren’t doing their jobs right.

16. PowerSpurs

Our standard front four used to be Dele, Eriksen, Son, Kane. So of course Bergwijn and Lucas have replaced Dele in the side as Lo Celso and Ndombele have mainly replaced Eriksen.

17. PowerSpurs

No one is arguing that Dele isn't doing as well as he was....it's just that he is still better than all the players we pick instead.

KingHotspur and Spurf like this.
  18. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

We don't play a front a four any more, we play a front three. Kane and Son still play in the same positions but we now utilise a proper RW instead of where Dele or Eriksen would drift a bit from their central roles. Lo Celso and Ndombele generally play the most advanced central role which is where Dele or Eriksen would've played in this system under Jose. Therefore Bergwijn and Lucas aren't keeping Dele out of the team, Ndombele and/ or Lo Celso are.

19. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

Confirmation bias Pass map time, and thankfully it doesn't completely undermine that mini essay I rattled off last night

please log in to view this image

Okay, so a few things here...
    i.) Why the hell is Lo Celso deeper than Sissoko? It's one thing if he wasn't getting the ball and dropping back into central midfield, but when Sissoko is further up the pitch than him it's asking questions about what our gameplan was, especially as GLC was supposed to be the right winger and Sissoko in the pivot yet they're playing the exact opposite - and considering GLC went off at half time, that data isn't skewed by a formation or position change
    ii.) The Dier/Hojbjerg/LB triangle that was so prominent throughout October/November is once again absent, as Hojbjerg is barely getting any passes out wide so instead we have a slug heading back to Dier instead
    ii.) Once again only Hojbjerg is receiving passes from our CBs while Lo Celso and Sissoko aren't, which makes our out balls easier to predict and therefore easier to cut out, and considering it's Lo Celso in the deeper role instead of Sissoko that makes it more apparent this is a tactical choice
    iv.) Ndombele is pretty isolated, as he's getting the ball from Lo Celso and Reguilon but not from Hojbjerg - and the fact Hojbjerg is getting the ball to Son and Kane while Ndombele isn't, with Son's back passes also headed to Hojbjerg, further underlines our lack of midfield control
    iva.) And can we stop with this "Ndombele Alvaro" ****? it doesn't say Reguilon Rodriguez for our LB, does it?
    v.) Son and Kane being in roughly similar positions is also an issue, as it shows we were being forced into the middle and became easier to deal with

And that's the thing: our tactics have by and large been press high on the wings to force opponents into a low block, and that seems to be what's happening to our play here as Sissoko and Lo Celso are having to drift out of position to help out Aurier while Kane and Son are squeezed into the middle and Ndombele is being cut off, further exacerbated by Lo Celso being a CM as that eliminates his attacking play while having Sissoko demonstrated that he's not a player you want in the final third of the pitch

...and just in case we get another round of "But we want Ndombele and Lo Celso starting, don't we?" the fact is that, yes, we do...in the right positions, but when Ndombele is an attacking midfielder and Lo Celso a CM that is the exact opposite of the roles they should be playing if both are in the starting xi

20. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

maybe they are all just as bad...what makes you say Dele is better? When was his last good performance? I don’t know what you’re seeing...for me that list of players are all the same...they don’t contribute enough.

Origi the bit part player at Pool who isnt anything to shout about had better stats than all of them whilst he was coming off the bench and contributing to their trophies.

Dier Hard likes this.