1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Tottenham Hotspur v Manchester United

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by PleaseNotPoll, Oct 2, 2020.

1. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

please log in to view this image

Sunday 4th October 4.30pm
    Premier League
    Old Trafford​

It's been a tricky week so far, but the team has negotiated it well, following Sunday's late set-back.
    Chelsea was something of a surprise, given the line-ups, while Maccabi wasn't.
    We were definitely made to sweat in both ties though, while we await our 5th game in 11 days.
    This will be United's third in that time, so they'll definitely be better rested and prepared.
    Can Mourinho nick a result at his old stomping ground or will Ole take the wheel?

Manchester United had a mixed season last time out, larger saved by a post-lockdown run. Mainly of penalties.
    Semi-final losses in all three cup competitions meant that qualifying for the Champions League was a must.
    They managed to sneak over the line for that with an unbeaten run after the break, while Leicester collapsed.
    The signing of Bruno Fernandes was seen as a key part of that form by critics and I'd have to agree with them.
    Defeats to Chelsea and Sevilla in the cups marred things a bit, though he still scored in those games.

Their extended run in the Europa League meant that they came back for this season late.
    New signing Donny van de Beek scored on his delayed debut, but it still couldn't prevent a loss.
    An old face came back to haunt them, as Wilfried Zaha netted twice in a 3-1 Palace win.
    A narrow, late, controversial win over Brighton may have got them back on track, though.
    It was followed by an easier victory over the same side in the Carabao Cup.

Our visit to Salford in the last campaign was Mourinho's first loss as Spurs manager and it was deserved.
    It was a flat, uninspiring performance and their early goal typified it.
    Nothing appeared to be on for Rashford when the ball fell for him, but Gazzaniga failed to deal with his shot.
    The half rumbled on and we didn't look in it, until a moment of magic from Alli brought our equaliser.
    Sissoko gave away a penalty after the break and they retook a lead that we never looked like pulling back:

The reverse fixture was a bit different, as Utd looked a far less dangerous beast, but escaped with a point.
    Bergwijn gave us the lead with a great run and a shot that De Gea probably should've kept out.
    The keeper followed up his mistake with a great save from Son though, to keep them in it.
    The low block seemed to have nullified their threat until Pogba dived to steal another penalty.
    Jon Moss didn't feel that this was enough and tried to give one more, but VAR overruled it this time:

Bale is still out, while Son is a major doubt and Lo Celso faces a late test.
    Tuanzebe, Romero and Jones are out for the hosts. Fernandes should recover from a knock.
    Neither team has any suspensions.

Lineups for each side's last league game:

Spurs: Lloris; Doherty, Sanchez, Dier, Davies; Winks, Hojbjerg; Moura, Lo Celso, Son; Kane.
    Subs: Hart, Alderweireld, Reguilon, Fernandes, Ndombele, Lamela, Bergwijn.

Man Utd: De Gea; Wan-Bissaka, Lindelof, Maguire, Shaw; Matic, Pogba; Greenwood, Fernandes, Rashford, Martial.
    Subs: Henderson, Fosu-Mensah, Bailly, McTominay, Fred, Van de Beek, Lingard.

Ref: Anthony Taylor. VAR: Stuart Atwell.

TV: Sky Sports.

How would you like to line up for this one and what would you change from the Maccabi game?
    Would you stick with much of the same lineup, make a few changes or go for a wholesale switch?
    Which system and tactics would you use and what are you expecting Man Utd to go with?

2. SpursDisciple

SpursDisciple Booking: Mod abuse - overturned on appeal
    Forum Moderator

So starters for me

Lloris
    Aurier
    Dier
    Alderweireld or Sanchez based on recovery
    Reguilon

Ndombele
    Hojbjerg
    Sissoko

Dele
    Lamela
    Son (if fit)

I expect Kane will play, but I hope not.

Edit - Tanganga alongside Dier, forgot about him

3. The Huddlefro

The Huddlefro Well-Known Member

Lloris
    Aurier Tanganga Dier Regulion
    Tanguy Højbjerg GLC
    Lamela Kane Lucas

If PEH and GLC aren’t fit then I guess we replace them with two of Winks, Sissoko and Alli. Not sure if Lucas will be fit so I guess Sess will play if not. Or we see Davies at LB and Regulion pushed on. Bergwijn started both games midweek so he might be on the bench.

Really not sure about that back line either (apart from Regulion) but given how much Toby and Dave have played I’m not sure we have another option.

Honestly if you offered me a point from this now I’d take it, it would leave us one or two points shy of where I’d like us to be in the league at this point but we’ve also won every cup game we’ve played and given the schedule, it’s a more than acceptable position to be in at this stage. Obviously would love the win though and I reckon Jose will be well up for this, he’ll be smelling blood given what happened to United last time out in the league.

crackerman jack likes this.
  4. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

Last edited: Oct 2, 2020
  5. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Providing Gio’s knock against Haifa wasn’t bad, I’m hoping this might be the first time we get to start with the ideal CM trio.

Hugo
    Doherty, Sanchez, Dier, Reggie
    Ndombele, Hojbjerg, Lo Celso
    Lamela, Kane, Lucas

Vinícius likely won’t be signed in time to be able to take a spot on the bench as I think the work permit will take 24-48 hours or so to sort, therefore won’t be registered in time.

Think Davies might get the nod at LB whilst I wouldn’t be surprised if Jose gives Dele a chance at LW where he’s played a few times in his earlier years for us. He has to take every chance that comes his way too because once Son and Bale are fit, along with Ndombele’s fitness getting progressively better, it’s gonna be even tougher than it already has for him to get minutes on the pitch, wouldn’t be surprised if PSG up their loan fee offer though.

6. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Reports suggesting Sonny’s gonna start tomorrow. Good news if true, so long as he’s not being rushed.

PleaseNotPoll likes this.
  7. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

"Hi, Jose."

8. vimhawk

vimhawk Well-Known Member

Who really believes that United are not going to get a penalty?

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  9. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Pretty sure he’s not in the squad as his work permit is still to be sorted but good to see he’s already travelling with the team to Manchester. No doubt Lucas will be to him what Sissoko has been to Ndombele and Aurier. I’m sure Dier will also play a part in helping him settle, as will Jose and the staff.

10. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

Me....think they'll get two <grr>

11. Billy The Spur

Billy The Spur Well-Known Member

How sweet it would be to take 3 points away at Man United courtesy of a soft penalty kick coming our way, it`s a shame there is more chance of the Yorkshire Ripper sleeping with the Queen than seeing a Spurs penalty at Old Toilet.

12. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Get the defence of your defenders in early, i like your style <laugh> <ok>

13. SpursDisciple

SpursDisciple Booking: Mod abuse - overturned on appeal
    Forum Moderator

Wake up wake up, you're talking in your sleep.

humanbeingincroydon likes this.
  14. The RDBD

How tall is this boy ?? He looks about 6'5" in that photo.

15. The RDBD

I believe KO starts with Spurs 2-0 down (two penalties) .

deedub93 likes this.
  16. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Not far off, 6’3.

17. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Gio and Bergwijn didn’t travel with the squad. That’s a real ****ter. Was hoping to finally see the Lo Celso x Hojbjerg x Ndombele trio for the first time.

18. The Changing Man

The Changing Man Well-Known Member

Leaving Gio maybe tactical in the long term, as we maybe able to suggest that his injury which ruled him out today has prevented him from joining up with the Argentina squad.

Given the news I expect Jose to pick - Lloris, Doherty, Sanchez, Dier, Reguilon, Hojbjerg, Winks, Ndombele, Lucas, Kane and Son.

19. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

6'3"

Lucas is a shortarse

20. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

please log in to view this image