1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Tottenham Hotspur v Manchester United

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by PleaseNotPoll, Apr 9, 2021.

1. Alfie Conn

Alfie Conn Well-Known Member

The fault is with the referee in this instance, it was a foul, it was not a slight brush off it was a whack in the face , my other complaint was our players who all stopped playing to remonstrate but the ref missed it if Son had not gone down it would have been missed under current conditions, VAR can work if not judged by complete dick heads

PleaseNotPoll likes this.
  2. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

So all we need are non dick heads for observation.

Right then we wouldn't need VAR would we <laugh>

3. Alfie Conn

Alfie Conn Well-Known Member

It would be nice but now players have more tricks than a bunch of 2nd hand monkeys plus Sky putting so many cameras at the game and then analysing every move in ultra slow mo for the arm chair supporters the officials are under so much scrutiny that they do need help but as we see it has been a disaster

4. PowerSpurs

PowerSpurs Well-Known Member

So you think he should do it earlier? Surely it's better for Kane and Son to know who the new manager is straight away.

5. PowerSpurs

I've got no difficulty with refs missing things...his view would have been obscured by the United player and it was also not easy to spot by the assistants. He got it right when shown the replay so I was happy. Refs who give fouls that didn't happen are much more of a menace. They shouldn't be guessing.

6. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Absolutely. We’re not making European qualification on this form under Mourinho, to stand any chance we need an immediate change in the hope that provides a boost to push on and get the results needed. If we don’t secure CL then I think Kane asks to leave, if we don’t secure any European football I think Son may ask questions too. Neither will care who the new manager will be by then.

7. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

I meant in a "Big league" tbf

8. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

Should have been sacked after we lost to Liverpool, City, Brighton, Chelsea and Everton (FA cup)and West Ham. In that run we beat Wolfesberg and WBA. 6 losses in 8 games.
    They held off cos they believed he was putting all his eggs in the EL basket yet tbh many of us predicted we'd crash and burn .
    Not cos we are clever but because everytime we played a decent team, on form we can not beat them.

All of our wins this season have been against teams out of form (Arsenal, United, City) or struggling teams such as West Brom, Brighton, Fulham, Villa, Southampton, Palace etc.
    In fact we have not beaten a single team who were above us in the league all season.

Sacking him now is too late but at least it would give a new manager the time to assess the players, for him to get his ideas across and for him to decide who he does and doesn't want to keep.

The are the Euros this summer so the close season I'd going to be very short and many of the squad will have very little of a pre season .

We need to be proactive and we are being anything but imho

9. vimhawk

vimhawk Well-Known Member

Just when I thought I couldn't get more pissed off about yesterday, we have the Hobbit, apparently with the backing of the media, launching a campaign against Son. What a ****ing hypocrite. That team wouldn't even be in the top 4 without a mass of dodgy decisions, and ironically as far as dodgy decisions go, the foul on Son wasn't particularly dodgy. Put it this way, had a Spurs player done that against a PenUnited player, there would be no outcry whatsoever, it would have been a foul and probably a yellow card awarded. But Hobbit has deflected a more valid argument - should McTominay have received a yellow for what really looked like an unnatural hand into Son's face, which should be being discussed rather than Son's reaction. And wouldn't that have been McTonminay's second yellow? (I think he went on to possibly merit a third late on for a cynical foul holding up play.) Of course don't expect the media to present anything but a pro-United stance. One thing you won't see for example, is this incident followed by a replay of Lamela doing something similar and getting his second yellow. Where was the media outrage then? In fact where is the media outrage at all to PenUnited's massive use of cheating, that regularly brings in multiple penalties, and even when it doesn't there is never a card for "simulation". Hence my earlier comment about that ****ing hypocrite manager, particularly because he must either condone his own team indulging in far worse than what Son did, or actively encourage it. And I'm a bit surprised that media savvy Jose didn't use the Lamela link instead of going on about cheese and apples (or some other groceries), and pointing out what PenUnited get up to all game long, every game.

10. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Why do you think he came out with a virtually identical barrage of bullshit when Martial got sent off for slapping Lamela?
    And which co-commentator did the same? Gary Neville. Funny that.

11. vimhawk

vimhawk Well-Known Member

I think also what Mr Frodo is saying is "don't you dare give decisions against United". It's no wonder the balance of decisions go their way, refs get so much flak if they give a decision against them. And all that probably has an influence the next time the ref has a decision to make either overtly or somewhere in his subconscious. You can send Lamela off though, nobody is going to complain about that.

12. PowerSpurs

If there was a suitable candidate available now then I would agree. Surely better to wait until the person we want is available. Unless we think a caretaker can do the job.

13. KingHotspur

KingHotspur Well-Known Member

Harry Redknapp til the end of the season

100% he would be up for it even if he knew it was only until then

maggie blanchflower likes this.
  14. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

Triffic.

15. KingHotspur

KingHotspur Well-Known Member

Couldn’t be any worse than now. Least the fun factor would be back

16. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

I think it would depend on what Mourinho's contract and the clauses for ending it looks like.
    Redknapp's been terrible since he left the club, but I agree that it's hard to believe that he'd make us play any worse right now.

17. PowerSpurs

Looking at our remaining fixtures, if Everton don't win tonight we could easily keep that record.

remembercolinlee likes this.
  18. littleDinosaurLuke

littleDinosaurLuke Well-Known Member

Why is Son's arm across McTominay's chest at the start of the incident not mentioned here? Son reaches out and tries to grab him - and McTominay tries to get away. Watch the footage - there is not a shadow of a doubt.
    Is there an explanation for Son reaching out across McTominay's chest as he runs away from him apart from Son trying to impede him and commit a professional foul?
    McTominay's instinctive reaction to prevent the foul on him is deemed to be the offence is it?
    Many on here - despite being partisan - accepted that it was the wrong decision.
    It has never been part of the rules that a player commits a foul by attempting to evade being fouled. The contact on Son was minimal.
    Son is the offender here.
    It doesn't justify the abuse of him, but the criticism is justified.

Diego likes this.
  19. "Thanks for that Brian"

"Thanks for that Brian" Well-Known Member

It can't be worse than what's going on now, so I'm in.

20. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

Southampton were above us on alphabetical order on day 2. <whistle>

remembercolinlee and O.Spurcat like this.