1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Tottenham Hotspur v RB Leipzig

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by PleaseNotPoll, Feb 18, 2020.

1. "Thanks for that Brian"

"Thanks for that Brian" Well-Known Member

He's 83 but pretty fit.

By all rights, you should outlive him but it might be wise to pack in the smoking, just to make sure...<laugh>

2. KingHotspur

KingHotspur Well-Known Member

The virus will make sure that concert along with the boxing will be cancelled

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  3. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

He certainly has been in this situation before, namely at Man Utd where he sacked off the league to focus on the Europa League final as that offered a route into the Champions League

The difference is that he acknowledged the weaknesses in the squad and looked for a way to counterbalance them to get results, yet with us he can surely see how weak our central midfield is yet exacerbates it with an insistence on using a two-man pivot that couldn't shut up shop even if they were location scouts on Dawn of the Dead and playing the three CBs behind them lack the pace to recover in time

****ing hell, how hard can it be to accept that playing 433 is the only way to get some solidity to our midfield right now? All of our CMs are too easily beaten by runners, so having just two of them is suicide as you need someone having to offer some semblance of cover - Poch knew it, AVB knew it, Redknapp knew it, Jol knew it...but it appears that Dim Sherwood finally has somebody else who shares his opinion that defensive midfielders are overrated

4. Left on the Shelf

Left on the Shelf Well-Known Member

If he was our manager he could wear that tie - and only that tie - if he wanted.
    Very impressive individual, regardless of the RB €€ - or the tie!

KingHotspur likes this.
  5. Citizen Kane.

Citizen Kane. Well-Known Member

Have to disagree. In terms of a full season, Ramos didn't have one but at least 07/08 we got to watch Keane & Berba, THAT match v the Gooners and our first of many trophies under ENIC. Then 08/09 it wasn't long before Harry was in charge.

Even in the AVB/Interim season we were at least permitted the small pleasure of seeing Kane, Townsend and Bentaleb break through to the first team.

I say without exaggeration: this has been the worst to endure since 99/00. In other words: we are now as ****e to watch as we were just before ENIC took over. Oh, and that season Coat managed to get us 49 points. Not a chance in hell will we pick up more this season.

6. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

It reminds me of the AVB time. You look at the team and you think where are we going. We have been outplayed by Burnley & Norwich recently. In the recent past we always outplayed teams like this, ok sometimes lost, but not by being dominated. Watford outplayed us Villa looked like champions against us. We have lost our two best attackers and that answers our lack of goals but it does not answer the lack of defence. Then there's N'Dombele.

7. KingHotspur

My worry is that the negativity around the club won’t lift even when everybody returns from injury.

Don’t mean to keep going on about his past but history shows Jose has never been able to turn things around when it goes sour.

8. Roo

Roo Well-Known Member

I tend to agree.
    Every manager deserves a chance, and regardless of what anyone’s thoughts of Mourinho are, when you think about it, he really doesn’t stand a chance regardless. The lack of investment has caught up with us, and it really shows how Poch did a remarkable job making us as competitive as we were.
    The issue for me is that I don’t think Mourinho is going to be able to replicate getting close to what Poch managed at our club. Sounds crazy I know, as Poch didn’t actually win anything. But he got the best out of most individuals for a substantial period of time on a very low spend, especially when you consider those other clubs around us.
    Evidence would suggest that the lack of spend isn’t going to change, especially if we don’t achieve CL football (which is incredibly unlikely). Therefore is Mourinho the manager to create a positive environment with what he has available, that breeds winners? Can he do it without spending the money he’s been used to having in the past? Are his football, tactics, strategies and man management the right fit for our club? To answer those questions, we can only go on his record. - which in terms of trophies to mark success (until 5 years or so ago) was brilliant, when he had money. However, he’s also shown in more recent years that despite having money to spend, he’s not a good fit and the days of being “the special one” could well be in the past.
    My fear is that we’re going to see more of the recent Mourinho than that of his glory days at Chelsea etc.
    When I consider the Spurs-Mourinho “fit”, I see a square peg in a round hole for those reasons. It feels like signing a 33 year old player who was once world class, but you’ve got them at the back end of their career, with regular injuries where they’ll never replicate their former quality.
    We are absolutely dreadful at the moment, and for me the blame is with Levy for neglecting the squad. But at the same time, I don’t see Jose being the one to pull off another “Poch”, and go as far as to take us one step further to win something, which Poch couldn’t quite squeeze out of the squad.
    Good luck to him, but with all things considered and what we’ve witnessed so far, I just can’t see it.

9. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

About time the buck stopped at Levy...but it never seems to.

His football mentality is a massive hinderence to this club

10. "Thanks for that Brian"

"Thanks for that Brian" Well-Known Member

This is where we are right now...back in late 90's mode.

To avoid any further decline, we need owners and manager to be as one and primed and ready to go on who we recruit this summer, for the owners to find every penny and do smart, quick business and for the manager to extract everything out of all of the squad at the end of the window (which will be weeks into the new season again).

Oh man, we are so far away from being able to do that...

Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
    Roo likes this.

11. humanbeingincroydon

Well after last night the levels of factual ignorance skyrocketed, best demonstrated by people somehow believing that Paul Mitchell signed half of Leipzig's current squad even though he was employed by Spurs at the time...

12. KingHotspur

Genuine question, what would you like to see Levy do this summer?

13. audrey.s.thackeray

audrey.s.thackeray Well-Known Member

No!!! We've already got someone there who's gaga!!

Roo and "Thanks for that Brian" like this.
  14. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Bring in quality and clear out the ****. Seems simple but for Spurs it's rocket science.

15. humanbeingincroydon

...and Aurier can actually sing

16. audrey.s.thackeray

.... but not from the right hymn-sheet, I'm afraid!

17. audrey.s.thackeray

A rocket would seem like a good option.

18. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

If it was that easy, then everyone would do it.
    Bring in a Director of Football and someone to join up the academy with the first team squad.
    In terms of players, I'm probably on my own here, but I don't think that a lot of those that have been written off need to go.
    We need a bunch of fullbacks, a holding midfielder and a couple of strikers.

KingHotspur and Lovearsenalcock like this.
  19. The Huddlefro

The Huddlefro Well-Known Member

I’m with you on this PNP. I think we need a fullback for each side, a CB, a DM, and a backup striker. We probably also need a new keeper. That’s 5 first team players needed, and a backup. It’s a lot of work.

Whoever was managing us at this point would have needed a rebuild so I don’t think it’s fair to label this as a Mourinho-induced spend. We will know after this summer if Levy and ENIC really want this club to move forward or if they’re only interested in milking the stadium and the fans dry.

20. humanbeingincroydon