1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Tottenham Hotspur v Swansea City Match History 1928-2015

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by THFC6061, Dec 12, 2014.

1. THFC6061

THFC6061 Well-Known Member

please log in to view this image

Swansea City host Tottenham Hotspur at the Liberty Stadium on Sunday 14th December 2014 (KO 16:00) in the 16th round of matches in the 2014-15 Premier League season.

Swansea come into the game in 8th place on 22 points with Spurs in 10th place on 21 points. This will be the 44th time the two teams have met.

Swansea City were founded in 1912 as Swansea Town (changing their name to Swansea City in 1969) and joined the Second Division of the Southern League for the 1913-14 season. After World War One, The Jacks became members of the SL First Division and joined the Football League in season 1920-21 when the Southern League was incorporated to form the Third Division of the Football League. The following season the division was re-named the Third Division South.

The first meeting between Spurs and Swansea came in the Second Division in November 1928 at Vetch Field with the home side winning 4-0. The reverse fixture in March 1929 at White Hart Lane ended in a 1-1 draw.

The clubs met for a further eight seasons in Division Two between seasons 1930-31 and 1938-39 with 10 wins for Spurs, 2 wins for Swansea and 4 matches drawn.

During the Second World War, the clubs played two games in the Football League South with a win each. The clubs played for two more seasons in Division Two after WW2 with three wins for Spurs and one for Swansea.

Spurs and Swansea have played five games in the Football League Cup, the first of which came in the second round in September 1970 with Tottenham winning 3-0 at the Lane with goals from Steve Perryman, Martin Peters and Roger Morgan.

Eight years later, Swansea drew with Spurs 2-2 at Vetch Field in the second round first leg and won 3-1 at White Hart Lane.

The most recent League Cup meetings came in the second round in 1991 with Swansea winning 1-0 at home in the first leg and Spurs winning 5-1 at White Hart Lane with goals from Paul Stewart, Vinnie Samways, Gary Lineker, Paul Allen and an own goal.

Swansea City won promotion to the Top Flight of English Football for the first time in season 1981-82 and were league leaders at one stage before finishing in 6th position. The match at Vetch Field in September 1981 resulted in a 2-1 win for The Swans with Glenn Hoddle scoring for Spurs, while the return match at the Lane in May 1982 was won 2-1 by Spurs with Gary Brooke scoring both goals.

A similar set of results came in Swansea's second season in Division One with a 2-0 home win in Swansea and a 1-0 home win in Tottenham.

The two clubs came in a friendly played in Swansea in November 1992, which resulted in a 3-3 draw. Tottenham Hotspur and Swansea City have never met in the FA Cup. Swansea became the first Welsh club to play in the Premier League by winning the play-off against Reading at Wembley 4-2 thanks mainly to a Scott Sinclair hat-trick.

The fixture at the Liberty Stadium in December 2011 finished in a 1-1 draw with Spurs going ahead just before half-time through Rafael van der Vaart but Swansea salvaged a point with a late equaliser from Scott Sinclair. Rafael van der Vaart put Spurs 1-0 up at halftime in the match at White Hart Lane in April 2012 with a 19th minute goal. Sigurdsson equalised for Swansea in the 59th minute but a brace from Emmanuel Adebayor secured the three points for Spurs.

During the 2012 summer Tottenham Hotspur signed Icelandic midfielder Gylfi Sigurdsson from 1899 Hoffenheim but who had been on loan at Swansea City for the 2011-12 season. The game at White Hart Lane in December 2012 was won by a Jan Vertonghen goal scored in the 75th minute. Swansea won the first major trophy in their history in February 2013 when they beat Bradford City in the Football League Cup Final 5-0.

The game at Liberty Stadium at the end of March 2013 was won 2-1 by Spurs. Jan Vertonghen put Spurs ahead after 7 minutes and Gareth Bale added a second on 21 minutes. Swansea pulled a goal back through Miguel Michu on 71 minutes.

Tottenham won their opening home game of the 2013-14 season in August beating Swansea 1-0 thanks to a 28th minute Roberto Soldado penalty after Jonjo Shelvey had fouled Andros Townsend. The Double over Swansea was completed at the Liberty in January 2014 with Spurs winning 3-1 with a brace from Emmanuel Adebayor and and own goal from Chico Flores. The Swansea goal was scored by Wilfried Bony.

A busy summer saw Gylfi Sigurdsson rejoin Swansea from Spurs with Tom Carroll joining him on loan while Michel Vorm and Ben Davies made the opposite journey. Overall, Spurs have won 25, Swansea have won 10 and 8 of the 43 matches played so far between the two clubs have been drawn. Spurs are due to host Swansea at the Lane on Wednesday 4th March 2015.

Full History of Tottenham Hotspur v Swansea City Matches 1928-2015

They Played for Spurs & Swansea....

Terry Boyle
    Derek Brazil
    Ivor Brown
    Ron Burgess (also Swansea coach & manager)
    Tom Carroll
    Steven Caulker
    Ben Davies

Willie Davies
    Gerry Francis (Swansea player, Spurs manager)
    Roger Gibbins
    Mark Gower
    Charlie Handley
    Percy Hooper
    Jack Illingworth
    Cliff Jones
    Ernie Jones
    Mark Kendall
    Derek King
    Doug Livermore (Swansea coach, Spurs asst. manager)
    Terry Medwin (Spurs player, Swansea asst. manager)
    Joe Meek
    Paul Price
    Wayne Routledge
    Gylfi Sigurdsson
    Micky Stead
    Michel Vorm

Arthur Willis (Spurs player, Swansea coach)
    Alan Woods

Tottenham Hotspur Premier League Player's Squad Numbers 1993-94 to 2014-15

Swansea City Premier League Player's Squad Numbers 2011-12 to 2014-15

2. Spurm

Spurm Well-Known Member

Please, no more <laugh>
    Watched Palace and 2nd half of Besiktas. Not sure i can handle another. Maybe i'm a bad omen as i missed Everton.

3. THFC6061

We did the Double over Swansea last season, but I think we'll do well to get a point on Sunday.

4. No Kane No Gain

No Kane No Gain Well-Known Member

You sure that's Cliff Jones and not another picture of Tom Carroll? :D

Really tough game, and tough games are where we tend to put in our best performances. That's it, that's the only reason for optimism I've got :(

5. SpursDisciple

SpursDisciple Booking: Mod abuse - overturned on appeal
    Forum Moderator

Comes to something when you look forward to the International breaks.

6. Spurm

Spurm Well-Known Member

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

So true :(

7. SpursDisciple

SpursDisciple Booking: Mod abuse - overturned on appeal
    Forum Moderator

Forgot to highlight the late Mark Kendall.

8. roofjack_22

roofjack_22 Well-Known Member

A couple of counter attacks on Davies side while he caught forward should do the trick... 2 - 1 Swans .Good luck after that till the rematch.

9. Spurm

Spurm Well-Known Member

Its bad that most the Spurs fans on here think that 2 clubs (Hull and Swansea) who were languishing divisions below us less than a decade ago will beat us :(
    Even the oppo fans are getting confident

10. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Davies has actually played well for us recently. Looks a lot more solid than Rose and he makes less aimless passes.
    The main problem is on the other side, though Walker's return might help sort that out, once he's back to 100%.

11. Spurm

Spurm Well-Known Member

....and in the middle of defence, and the centre of midfield, and the wingers, and up front.

12. Spurfect

Spurfect Active Member

Kyle walker has said he is good to play tomorrow, will need him to be on his game up against Montero. happy days :1980_boogie_down:

13. THFC6061

Nice to see someone that pays attention!

14. redwhiteandermblue

redwhiteandermblue Well-Known Member

I mentioned before the last game that all our (worst) problems in the league this year have been at home against teams we&#8217;ve been favored against. It&#8217;s debatable if we&#8217;re favored in this one, but I&#8217;d say we shouldn&#8217;t be. In any case, Swansea have been playing better football, and play attractively, so to my mind they don&#8217;t fit into the profile of the teams we struggle against.

The idea that the problem is the players is arguably refuted by the case of Gylfi. Deemed not good enough to start/a decent squad player, he&#8217;s flourished once he got into a team playing an appropriate and established system. (The better argument for the players quality not being the problem, of course, is how successful they were under Sherwood.)

In any case, it&#8217;s hard to feel very confident given how things have been going. We desperately need a win of any kind, especially one where we score a couple of goals. I&#8217;m very much hoping both Walker and Lennon start. Lennon has looked like our only decent right sided midfielder, though I guess Townsend hasn&#8217;t been too bad. COYS!

Thanks for another great match thread THFC!

15. swanseaandproud

swanseaandproud Well-Known Member

I think it will be a very close match myself that you might as well toss a coin on who will win...A low scoring draw looks more the safer bet...

16. lennypops

lennypops Well-Known Member

I don't know much about Paul Price but he certainly looks a lot like Paul Stewart.

17. PGFWhite

PGFWhite Well-Known Member

The ingredients are there for a Swans win. Probably the worst performing Spurs team I have seen for many a year, just played away in Turkey and possible problems in the dressing room with Adebayor on leave.

Spurs have plenty of classy players, but they havent gelled as a team and the manager is under pressure.

Will they fancy it on a wet Sunday evening in South Wales?

I'm sticking my neck out and predicting a 2-1 win for the Swans and an end to our Spurs Premiership hoodoo <ok>

18. Spurfect

Spurfect Active Member

Got a good feeling for today's game, possibility deluded, but I think we are going to win, we tend to do better against teams who attack us. Can see Swansea with the majority of possession but spurs hitting them on the counter. Chadli to notch a couple and eriksen with a trademark free kick. COYS!

19. roofjack_22

roofjack_22 Well-Known Member

Had a dream of a winnng free kick from Siggy .A guy like Siggy explains a lot about a team like the Spurs , the Spurs are a " Ya dont know what ya got till its gone" type . Carroll and Siggy are a bit of proof as far as Im concerned.I like the Spurs, my favorite "" Capital team"" , but you could spend more practically.and be more visionary with players

20. redwhiteandermblue

redwhiteandermblue Well-Known Member

An interesting "what if" to me, is "What if Spurs had half or 2/3 as many players in contention for a start, the same number under Redknapp?" If everyone understood who the starting team would be every day, it might solve a lot of the problems irrespective of who is managing and which players are playing. As it stands, a player has a bad game or two, he no longer starts and he loses confidence, while the new starter can&#8217;t help worrying the same thing will happen to him.

I was a big Gylfi and Huddlestone backer, though I guess we all have accumulated a fair number of I-told-you-sos. A lot of things could and should have been different, but things could still start to go well at any point.

The difficult question is whether to start two strikers. I think Bentaleb has to start, as well as Kane, Eriksen and Lennon, so that means 2/3 from Mason, Chadli and Soldado. Mason may be in the "must start" group as well, all things considered.

The only plus is that I&#8217;m starting to get resigned to Spurs being a dead mid table kind of club at this point.