1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Tottenham Hotspur v West Ham United

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by PleaseNotPoll, Oct 15, 2020.

1. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Wonder if there’s a way we could dye his hair a blondish colour and switch him with Skipp and hope Norwich don’t notice? Then tell them they can extend the loan a further three years. I think I’m onto something here.

2. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

8 minutes to go...3 goals up and the subs cost us the game?

I can’t have that

I could have seen that out for 8 minutes, never mind a pro footballer.

im confident though that it will get fixed and Sanchez won’t be playing much as soon as Rodon ready

3. BobbyD

BobbyD President

just curious, what is winks good for? I thought he was a hard working tidy and ball possession player aka captain crab? if you dont bring him on to see out the game by passing it about and you don't bring him on when a team is camped in their own half as he can't play key passes when is the time from winkiesta?

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  4. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

there was nothing wrong with the thinking behind them subs at that time with that scoreline

Diego likes this.
  5. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Target practice for Kane and Son.

BajanSpur, BobbyD and Lovearsenalcock like this.
  6. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

I wouldn’t say Ndombele off for Winks made sense. We replaced a creative player and one of the best on the pitch for someone who offers... Ermmm.

Lamela/ Lo Celso/ Dele would’ve been more ideal if they were on the bench. I think Vinicius would’ve made more sense too as we could’ve told Kane to play even deeper and take on Ndombele’s role to keep the right sort of balance.

Davies probably would’ve been a better choice than Lucas too. He could’ve slotted in either as a LCB and go to a back five to try and park the bus or it could’ve been similar to what we done at Utd where he and Reguilon doubled up on the left with Reguilon playing as somewhat of a defensive winger.

We definitely shouldn’t have conceded three goals in that time frame but I don’t think Jose’s choices helped us either. None of his subs paid off. Bale included.

BajanSpur likes this.
  7. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

with 8 minutes to go though...the game is won...it should be and it is for most teams.

had we seen that through as expected then them subs wouldn’t be a talking point...they all would have made sense because at that stage you need to see the game out...we don’t need Ndombele’s creativity...we need to hold the ball and to my knowledge Winks should be good enough to do that and take the edge off the game with his sideways specialty and Moura is usually a busy body and Bale given his debut at 3 up at home? When else is a better time?

8. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

You do still need that creativity though, because removing that encourages the opposition. If it was last minute and still 3-0 maybe so but we took Ndombele off at 76 mins and 6 mins later we conceded the first of the three. West Ham were already on the front foot that half but they did have to worry about our counter ability and Ndombele was a huge factor in that.

Who out of Winks, Hojbjerg and Sissoko is able to get the ball to Kane, Bale and Son/ Lucas from a counter? They can’t. Therefore West Ham got braver and they got their rewards in the end. If you’re bringing Winks on (which you should never do as he shouldn’t be here), bring him on for Sissoko, not for Ndombele. Ndombele needs to be replaced by someone more creative and forward thinking to keep the team balance, that’s why I said based on who was on the bench, Vinicius would’ve made sense as Kane could’ve dropped into Ndombele’s role.

We made the Davies for Son sub against Utd around a similar time to the Lucas for Son sub against West Ham, why not stick with that as we knew it worked?

The Bale one I didn’t have any real issue with but I’m just saying it didn’t pay off. He could’ve killed the game off with his chance but I ain’t gonna dig him out when that was his debut and he’s clearly lacking match fitness.

Two of the three subs made were wrong in my opinion. That’s why I think Jose can’t escape criticism for that draw.

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  9. Alfie Conn

Alfie Conn Well-Known Member

Who else woke up this morning with a pissed off feeling , apart from that looking back at the Bale attempt on goal should VAR have had a look at the tackle, no attempt for the ball but a big lunge at his shoulder

10. Alfie Conn

Alfie Conn Well-Known Member

11. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

I think they gave the benefit of the doubt to Bale as he still got his shot off.

One of those where it could’ve been given on another day I guess but I’m not overly pissed at the decision/ lack of to be honest. We’ve had far worse calls not given/ given against us. Realistically Bale should’ve still scored - or at the least hit it on target.

12. The Changing Man

The Changing Man Well-Known Member

Whilst I agree that the ref (s) probably considered that the shot constituted playing advantage, the push maybe the reason Bale missed as he had not shot before the push happens and it may have unbalanced him sufficiently for the shot to miss. I don't doubt that if that had been on Fernandes United would have got a penalty.

13. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Yeah it’s definitely possible that could’ve happened but I try not to compare ref decisions with other clubs and what they may/ may not have had as it’ll only likely wind me up and there’s enough things involving Spurs at the moment that are doing a perfectly good job at that <laugh>

14. The Changing Man

The Changing Man Well-Known Member

I know what you mean, and in the end ifs buts and maybes don't alter the outcome and we should have won that match no question without the need for any other decisions and the manner of not winning it is probably gonna piss me off all week.

Lovearsenalcock and Dier Hard like this.
  15. BajanSpur

BajanSpur Well-Known Member

No time... None.

Dier Hard likes this.
  16. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

Two things which stand out - now with charts!

First of all the fouls count (Spurs are represented by orange, West Scam blue)

please log in to view this image

Secondly, a breakdown of West Scam's attacking play

Which becomes more obvious when you look at their passing combinations

Conclusion: clearly we should blame Harry Winks as he was playing right back, as demonstrated by this screengrab of their first goal...