1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours Tottenham in the January Transfer Window - 2014/15 Edition

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Moorpheus19, Dec 20, 2014.

1. LockStock

LockStock Well-Known Member

The Lennon thing baffles me too. Maybe he hasn't responded well to Poch's training methods. Who knows? He's one of the few that I imagined has the attributes that would work on paper at least. Speed, guile and defensive awareness. I thought he'd improve under Poch.

I'm guessing that the big changes will happen in the summer (Miralles?). Of course, if Pochettino can deliver a top four finish with this squad, he will be in a very powerful position to call shots on precisely who he wants coming in. Big gamble if you ask me though.

I do like the idea of not underselling the players that we have, despite wanting to improve the squad. Even the average league performers can do a job in the cups. (Even Ade.)

I also think the squad is pretty awesome right now, just that with a few more tweaks we could have made a more likely entrance to the top four.

2. Moorpheus19

Moorpheus19 Well-Known Member

According to the ITKs, Lennon likes to party and so it's bexbecause of his lifestyle that he's being moved on

3. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Not a bad window, not the best but not terrible.

A shame about Lennon being loaned out, would have much rather kept him but can understand his desire to play plus the fact he wasn't getting a look-in here, apparently it has a buy clause too so it may mean farewell permanently.

Surprised some of our players rejected moves away, Capoue and WBA, Kaboul and West Ham & Ade and QPR (though apparently was willing to go West Ham). I think most offers were loans too, it would have been a chance for them to showcase to the manager that they are good enough to get back into the squad or at least put themselves in the shop window to interest bigger clubs.

Looking forward to seeing Dele Alli in the future, big things are expected so it was a bit of coup being able to get him I feel. As he said in his Spurs TV interview, a big reason for joining was because the manager puts faith in young players, so I think there's every chance of seeing him feature in the 15/16 season.

4. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

It's clear that MP has a lot of confidence in Lamella because he has picked him over Lennon every time. I think he sees Walker fulfilling the Lennon role and the midfielders covering for him. The Loan has to be because a sale was not possible to arrange and they probably think Everton will stump up the necessary once they experience the Lennon effect on their team.

I have to say that atm Lennon was our best option on the right he always made things happen and despite the out of date mantra that he could not cross I would have kept the guy. Having said that teams move on and the current manager obviously has other ideas.

Thanks for all the excitement you provided Aaron. I wish him all the best in his new role, I doubt we will see him back at Spurs again.

5. Spurm

Spurm Well-Known Member

I'm pretty happy. In a year or 2 we're gonna have Onomah and Alli come through (and possibly others). Add those to Eriksen, Bentaleb, Mason, Kane, Walker, Rose, Davies, Lamella, Townsend etc etc and we have a squad/team that are going to grow together.

Maybe then we will be the sum of our parts, or dare i say it, greater than the sum of our parts. Better that than less than the sum of our parts like the last few seasons

SpursDisciple and Hengy like this.
  6. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

I wonder if Poch also feels Yedlin can do a job at RW if pace out wide is required? Could be another reason as to why we allowed Lennon to go while not bringing in a replacement.

7. Spurm

Spurm Well-Known Member

He is very quick. I thought Walker could do it too, but having seen him cross/shoot i'm not so sure :)

8. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

I've only seen YouTube clips of Yedlin's crossing ability and it seems of a better standard than Walker's, so it's a possible avenue to explore.

9. paultheplug

paultheplug Well-Known Member

I don't think that there was anyone available to us in this transfer window that would have improved the squad, so I'm pleased that we didn't buy someone just for the sake of it. It seems that Pochettino has clear ideas as to which players will be good for us and has sufficient belief in the players we have to do well this season. This summer there will only be the U-21 Euros so there will be more time to get any new players he wants integrated into the squad and more chances to remove those he no longer requires.

10. No Kane No Gain

No Kane No Gain Well-Known Member

Yeah it's a big squad but I wouldn't feel as confident with Soldado, Adebayor, Dembele, Paulinho, Chiriches or Kaboul starting in a big game but that's what we're going to be faced with as our February/March schedule is a nightmare. Some of the squad is settling very well but some are also quite plainly being left behind, a couple of players in could've made all the difference.

11. The Huddlefro

The Huddlefro Well-Known Member

A sad footnote to that window that I'm not sure has been pointed out on here, is that with Lennon going I think the only player left in the squad who played for us in the Champions League is Younes Kaboul, who probably hasn't got long left here anyway. Clubs have to move on obviously but its a little sad that that connection is gone. Lets hope the current crop of lads can make history of their own in the coming seasons.

12. The Mighty Thor

The Mighty Thor Well-Known Member

The last "Wonder kid" was supposed to be John Bostok so I always prefer to wait and see. Glad Alli's here but not yet proved.

13. The Huddlefro

The Huddlefro Well-Known Member

Alli seems to have his head screwed on the right way from what I've heard of him. Time will tell, although given how we've been bitten in the past with Bostock and the numerous other cases you see of young footballers wasting potential, it wouldn't surprise me if the club had done some research into how he conducts himself away from the pitch to make sure we're not picking up another loose cannon. Especially given the fee we've just forked out. Those years can be such a turbulent time for young men, especially when you throw in all the money and fame and relocation a football career can bring about. Hopefully he comes through with the right attitude, and we get a fantastic footballer out of it.

14. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

Technically the last wonderkid was supposed to be Souleymane Coulibaly. That worked out so well he was sold to Bari in Serie B last summer, and promptly loaned to Pistoiese in Lega Pro (the Italian third tier)

On the subject of African wonderkids, I'm still wondering what the deal is with Musa Yahaya. We supposedly agreed pre-contract terms with him last year, he was spotted at Spurs Lodge in pre-season, but I can't help but notice he's not been unveiled. Are we waiting on a work permit - and, if so, how long before he's granted one?

15. PowerSpurs

PowerSpurs Well-Known Member

I think we were right to let Lennon go. He wouldn't be in the squad of any of our rivals for the top four places. Neither would Townsend and Lamela but thye have the potential to get there while Lennon does not.

16. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Yahaya's being kept low profile for a reason, IIRC.

17. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

I think he's played a couple of youth games but then got injured, when I browsed Newsnow a few weeks/ months back, an African sports site was commenting on him settling down, playing well and then getting the injury and then I saw another article in later weeks saying he'd returned. I don't think we'll announce him anyway, we didn't announce Azzaoui, did we?

18. Spurm

Spurm Well-Known Member

I hope its because he's THAT good

19. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I think he's off with the Nigeria U20 side at the moment.
    Being talked up in their national press sometimes, though.

20. redwhiteandermblue

redwhiteandermblue Well-Known Member

Our single signing is (yet) more evidence that our plan is to rely on youth. We hired a manager who seems particularly good with younger players, and keep adding good youngsters while attritting veterans. All things considered (stadium to pay for, reputation as the perfect penultimate club for players) it makes sense. It also seems to be going along about as well as might be hoped--at this point.