1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours Tottenham in the Summer Transfer Window - 2015 Edition

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Moorpheus19, May 24, 2015.

1. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

They're ranked 57th, which is easily high enough, IIRC.
    Might have just been some aimless pissing around that slowed it down.

2. KingHotspur

KingHotspur Well-Known Member

Will we finally see Njie and Son at the weekend then?

3. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Think Clint is still 50-50. Some reports I've read say he's in with a chance, others say still injured.

Don't see any reason why Son can't play though, banged in a hat trick the other night so should be pretty confident heading into what will hopefully be his debut.

4. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

5. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

Great news. <ok>
    Impressed in every position he's been used in, despite having a slightly dodgy couple of games in each position.
    Hasn't moaned or voiced any objections to being moved around or left out and seems to give 100% in every game.

6. lennypops

lennypops Well-Known Member

Dier's arguably our best signing of the last few years. Imagine that! After all the hype over the Bale money and various long-winded transfer sagas over stars of the game it is some English kid playing in Portugal who I'd never heard of and who came for a modest transfer fee.

It's why I always take it with a pinch of salt when we sign players and people are eager to talk them up or say how they should slot straight into (and improve) the first 11.

I bet the vast majority of our very best signings over the last 10 or so years have been players most of us knew next to nothing about. And they absolutely were not our most expensive signings either.

(Of course this is not as true during Harry's time when he pretty much only signed players I'd heard about - might not have an encyclopedic knowledge of football but I'd heard of Gallas, Parker and Crouch...)

7. SpursDisciple

SpursDisciple Booking: Mod abuse - overturned on appeal
    Forum Moderator

We'd also heard of Defoe, Kaboul and Chimbonda given they'd played for us already. That all got a bit weird, resigning ex players.

8. humanbeingincroydon

Three things I've just learned
    i.) There's a Korean Spurs Supporters Association
    ii.) They seem happy about Son getting his work permit

please log in to view this image

iii.) Somebody decided that having a business named Little Baby's Ice Cream wasn't freaky enough, so decided to make an advert that is seventy eight different kinds of ****ed up

9. Citizen Kane

Citizen Kane Danny Rosebud

I'd agree with the bit about cost not representing quality by any stretch of the imagination when it comes to Spurs.

But in terms of who has and hasn't been a success, there've probably been more 'knowns' than unknowns.

Berbatov, VDV, Palacios, Lennon, Keane (Mark I), Bale, Lloris, Eriksen were all pretty much public knowledge when they joined and all represent excellent ROI.

But every now and then we do stumble across a Dier or a Sandro who no one knows too much about and also represent excellent value for money.

It would seem that the 'danger zone' for us is Known Quantity + High Price . This category would include our 3 record signings, Bent, Bentley, Adebayor (taking wages into consideration) and various other luminaries of our proud history.

The only 'known' who came at a high price who still saw superb ROI was probably Modric if I'm honest. Although I was hoping to add Berahino to that one-man list this season...

10. lennypops

Well I mean from where I was looking at it the Berbatovs and Bales of this world are less known to me. At least. Berbatov looked really good on FIFA or ISS (forget which) and had a very good YouTube video but that's literally all I knew about him (compare to Defoe, Bent, Crouch, Keane).

Modric? Had honestly not heard of him before that Euros tournament (I watch very little non-Spurs football - international tournaments, cup finals and the occasional other one here and there).

Bale? Only heard about him cos Spurs were linked. Had never seen him play and as far as I knew he was as good as, oh, Kyle Naughton or someone.

This is probably why I don't get too involved with all the transfer chat! I know sod all about most of the players mentioned. I mean I can tell that signing Friedel is a good idea or Parker but if you'd asked me if Aaron Lennon was likely to end up better than Andy Reid I wouldn't have had a clue!

Very occasionally I get genuinely excited as we sign a clear superstar but that doesn't happen often. Ginola, for instance - was pretty sure what we were going to get there and pretty sure it was going to be awesome.

I also look back longingly to that same summer when we agreed a fee for Junhinho. Oh my goodness. That was the last time probably for a long time that Spurs were due to sign literally the one player on Earth I would have wanted them to sign. My mate supported Boro so I'd seen a fair bit of him on the TV and he was absolutely awesome. Gutted that it didn't happen in the end. He absolutely ripped teams apart and was a fantastic person too, by the looks of things.

This Son chap, on the other hand - who knows? I'll wait and see. Bloody well hope he will improve our first 11 though!

11. Citizen Kane

I see your point Lenny. I guess I'm looking at it from more of a footballing world, scouting team perspective.

So like I said, our scouts 'unearthing' someone like Bale isn't remotely impressive as he was on the radar of a number of big clubs and was making all sorts of headlines in the Championship. What was impressive was the fact that we signed him and helped him develop from scrawny left-back to world class attacker.

Similar idea behind Berbatov, who came to us from a big European side with a goal ratio of almost 1 in 2, which was ridiculous and again - I doubt the scouts of other clubs were remotely surprised when we signed him. Same for Lloris and Eriksen; both highly rated young players at major European clubs. Even Modric is the same to an extent; Dinamo Zagreb aren't a tiny club - competing regularly in the UEFA and CL competitions. He was also a fully capped international for a very decent country; if you recall he was superb the night Croatia sunk the Wally with the Brolly. All of that was before he'd signed for us and adds up to the same idea: any semi-competent scouting team would've had him on their radar, hence he became our joint most expensive buy ever in 2008.

So, from a footballing perspective - one that involves multiple 'experts' watching multiple leagues, I'd say that none of the above were truly 'unearthed'.

Sandro is close to an 'unearthed' talent because he was exceptionally young when he signed for us, and was coming from a league that hasn't exactly seen regular traffic to the PL. Although even then, there is room to argue that Internacional were one of the best teams in Brazil at the time, so was he truly 'unearthed'?

But Dier is without question a true feather in the hat for our scouting team: played just 26 times in 2 seasons for a relatively small club in a relatively small league and is signed for a minimal fee yet goes on to be impressive in multiple positions. I mean in the space of a year the lad's value has surely trebled?

So Kudos to the scouting team for him. I'd say Kudos for Walker too but he hasn't quite lived up to expectation yet. The fact that most clubs (including) ourselves rated Naughton as the superior player indicates that Walker was 'unearthed'.

12. lennypops

I think the point we're both gravitating towards is that there is a valid distinction to be made between a "semi-competent scouting system" and, er, me. Wouldn't argue with that.

Guess my point was a personal one - many, if not most, of the best signings of recent times (Dawson, Lennon, Berbatov, Walker, Bale, Eriksen, Dier etc)* were players who I had literally never seen play.

So I stay pretty agnostic with new signings and don't rush off to formulate Spurs' new first XI excitedly scrawling down Chiriches as Vert's new partner, formulating a midfield of Paulinho and Capoue with Lamela terrorizing defenses and Soldado banging them in.

13. Spurm

Spurm Well-Known Member

I'd never heard of berba when he signed but modric was a really exciting signing for me. I'd seen him a fair but and knew he was quality. Not sure where, either the CL or maybe the qualifying where we were with Croatia? Not sure on my dates with that though.

I actually thought bent would be a good signing. I saw it as one we were picking up for a year later as it was clear even then that berba would be going.

Bale I knew about for his free-kicks. He was a LB in the championship so I'd seen very little non-highlight footage.

I often wonder how much the fee plays a part in the success of a transfer, both in what the fans expect and and pressure of the fee on the player. With clubs with limitless resources this doesn't matter of course

14. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Great news about Dier, ironically I was saying just the other day to a mate that he's slowly becoming one of my favourite players to watch, love his commitment and he's always put in good performances wherever he's played.

15. humanbeingincroydon

It's the second week of September, so you know what that means? We're being linked with played for the January transfer window!

16. redwhiteandermblue

redwhiteandermblue Well-Known Member

I’m a big fan of ignorance, in the sense that people usually know less than they think. One thing I picked up from boxing is that it’s surprising how well you can evaluate players if you actually watch those stupid highlight videos closely. The player who looked the best in those videos of the seven to me was Eriksen. And Chadli was second. So maybe the average idiot like me can pick targets as well as a bunch of highly paid professionals. I would have gone for Cabaye and Martial this year, yet I like all our signings, especially Alderweireld.

I still don’t get the prices people settle on. It seemed to me Eriksen should have been in the 20 million range. Ayew on a free? Unbelievable. Cabaye for not much? Conversely, staying away from the flavor of the week always seems like a good idea. A little hype plus Martial for 14 equals Martial for 36. Let’s see how Berahino does this year, and for that matter what happens to the five of the seven we shifted.

That makes one of us. The lesson I got from the seven, which other teams seem to have learned this year, is that it’s just about always a bad idea to sell your best player. You can’t get another one as good, and adding a bunch of lesser players doesn’t solve your main problem and creates other problems.

17. bigsmithy9

bigsmithy9 Well-Known Member

I would love to see Spurs go for goal down the wing most of the time,but,and this is everywhere now,it seems wingers of today are not allowed to run very often.He picks up the ball and turns and passes it back to the full back.....and the chance is lost.
    My favourite :- The player takes a corner,two passes later and it's back to his own goalkeeper.Why?

Cliff Jones must have nightmares watching today's games!

Is there any wonder that I love to watch Real Madrid,especially their left back who really is their second winger.

Yes I like Dier's commitment too......I like the look of Mason too.United's probably got their eye on HIM!..or both.........?

maggie blanchflower likes this.
  18. Citizen Kane

100% correct, which is why it becomes quadruply important that the manager responsible for dealing with the new problems should be the one to have the first and last say on the matter - he has to be completely confident that he has the personnel to cover for the massive loss before the club can move forward.

I don't think Baldini is necessarily a 'bad' DOF, I think the bigger mistake was bringing him into a new club and league and his first memo on his first Monday morning is 'Spend £100m on Bale replacements please. You've heard of Bale, right? He was our best player so make sure you do a good job of it, ta.'

The whole thing was insane from start to finish, especially when it surfaced that our new and vastly inexperienced DOF was clashing with the manager over who would cover the Bale-sized hole (Benteke v Soldado, Willian/Hulk v Lamela etc.).

Baldini was clearly brought in because Levy didn't trust AVB with such a big treasure chest, but it ultimately was such a counter-intuitive decision as 2 out of 7 successes would've probably been achieved by AVB and tbh anyone who vaguely followed world football.

19. humanbeingincroydon

AVB was the one who requested a DoF be brought in so he could focus on the coaching side of things.

This managed to fail in so many ways at once, most notably the squad adding two more left-sided attacking midfielders despite already having and Townsend in that role while still not providing a Modric replacement we'd needed for a year already, a whole bunch of new players being signed at the last minute so not having a pre-season to adapt to their new teammates and tactics, and AVB losing his nerve at the thought of trying to integrate all these players into his system - which gave us the bizarre spectacle of the team being incredibly conservative in domestic competitions yet noticeably more adventurous in the Europa League.

20. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

I know that we've had a lot of stick about the Berahino situation, but I can't help but feel that West Brom managed it terribly.
    Look at Everton and Stones. Relentless pressure from Chelsea, but they kept it simple, played down the player's request and he's playing well for them.
    Contrast that with the ****storm at The Hawthorns.