1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Tour de France

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by Chazz Rheinhold, Jul 1, 2017.

1. Chazz Rheinhold

Chazz Rheinhold Well-Known Member

Stage 2 of the tour

2. Steven Toast

Steven Toast Well-Known Member

Right. Poor attitude to what? Cyclists? And it isn't ignorance, it's realism. You know full well that many road users do not always follow the code of conduct for their vehicle, so don't paint such a pretty picture for one side while ignoring the fact that everybody bends the rules, either through mistake or deliberation. I'm not a perfect driver, but I make damn sure that getting to where I'm going safely is priority 1. And why can't one get annoyed at newbie cyclists choccing the road after the TDF? You get it with most sports, they see it and want to try it for themselves. Not a bad thing, but if you're a golfer and some kid who's just watched the Masters is hacking his way around the 1st fairway, you're gonna get pissed off.

If we're judging character based on an internet forum, then it must be very lonely for you. Because if you speak like that to real people, I can't imagine you're very popular. Don't call my professional life into question, you have no right to do that. I might be a **** on here, but in work you can be damn sure I teach those children everything they need to know. If only your teachers worked as hard with you, you might have a different attitude.

3. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

It's no good getting indignant and prissy, you've shown you are ignorant and dismissive of the highway code, and have a poor attitude. Those are your problems, don't try projecting them on to me.

Oh, and unless I was betraying a confidence, which I'm not as you have mentioned it on here, I have every right to mention your work role, it's not a protected occupation ffs, It's supposed to be a vocation, rather than something you turn on in a classroom.

4. AlRawdah

AlRawdah Well-Known Member

To sum up then. Some cyclists are bit disrespectful of motorists. So it's alright to expect them all to jump out of the way of cars. Yeah!

DMD likes this.
  5. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

To be fair, I expect the cyclists were liable to be wobbling a bit, given they were seemingly going 50 mph. :emoticon-0102-bigsm

6. Ron Burguvdy

Ron Burguvdy Well-Known Member

Horrible conditions

7. LeftSaidFred

LeftSaidFred Well-Known Member

Ah yes, there's a bike race on....

8. Steven Toast

Not really though. I think it's more to do with the fact that me getting critical about something you're interested in has annoyed you. Saying "it's the law" or "it's the highway code" is all well and good, but it only works as an explanation if everybody follows it, which they don't. The law isn't there to protect cyclists, it's there to protect everybody and you seem incapable of understanding that cyclists are capable of just as much wrong as motorists. In an ideal world we'd all follow the law to the letter, but you know that's not true and never going to happen. Granted I'm not speaking for myself here, I try as hard as possible when driving to make sure I get where I'm going safely and without posing a risk to anybody and I'm sure most people do the same. But by all means continue to accuse me of ignorance, which you seemed to have confused with annoyance, which is subjective rather than factual.

Teaching is 90% acting. When a 4 year old brings you a picture they've drawn of themselves and you tell them it's any degree of accurate when it clearly isn't, you aren't being honest. But you do it because you know the child will benefit from that praise. If you acted like that all the time in all walks of life, you wouldn't live past 30. But for the record, calling out anybodies profession and using it as a stick to beat them with is a bit of a ****'s trick and not something people tend to do unless backed into a corner and can't offer a reasonable response.

9. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

I'm not annoyed, it barely raises any emotion, because it doesn't surprise me that some people are so contemptuous of others and the basics of the Highway Code. I don't feel backed into a corner, I offered a reasonable response, backed up with information from the official site. You do seem to have a poor, somewhat immature attitude, which is liable to come through in your teaching, even if you don't realise it.

Perhaps children will just accept your word if you take that tone to them, adults are more capable of pointing out the flaws in your argument.

10. balkan tiger

balkan tiger Well-Known Member

Think it's time to stop been Bengals.
    Your discussion is going nowhere except into breaking rule 3 of the board.

Howden Tigress, Steven Toast and DMD like this.

11. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

Agreed. Sorry to all. <peacedove>

Howden Tigress and balkan tiger like this.
  12. Steven Toast

Aye. Sorry everybody.

Howden Tigress, balkan tiger and DMD like this.
  13. LeftSaidFred

Jesus wept, has Cavendish won the stage yet?

14. AlRawdah

AlRawdah Well-Known Member

Kittel.

15. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

:emoticon-0150-hands

Steven Toast likes this.
  16. LeftSaidFred

Below is a link to a talk which I think many on here would benefit from, it really makes an awful lot of sense and something I've started to apply in life, easier said than done but very beneficial.

17. John Ex Aberdeen now E.R.

John Ex Aberdeen now E.R. Well-Known Member

Nice to see Cav get 4th, after his bout of Glandular fever he must be happy with that. Good to see "G" keep yellow and Froome, after both apparently being brought down in the crash with 30 Kilometres to go, keeps his time advantage over his main rivals. Good day again for the Brits

Ron Burguvdy likes this.
  18. TIGERSCAVE

TIGERSCAVE Well-Known Member

Cav' Just ran out of road JEX and got hemmed just as it unfolded... but as you say and Millar said in commentary great signs for the tour for him as this is pretty flat tour by recent standards. Just 4 stages being Mercyx record...

19. Edelman

Edelman Well-Known Member

He'd have already matched Mercyx if he hadn't crashed out of the tour the other year.

20. Dr.Stanley O'Google, HCFC

Dr.Stanley O'Google, HCFC Well-Known Member

Cav can only equal Merckx in number of wins. Merckx won stages by destroying his rivals, but not by sprints - by times and distances.