1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Town v Fleetwood

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by YorkieLancsHampyLondoner, Oct 22, 2021.

1. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Thanks gaffer, you know me, I call it as I see it. I wouldn't call today a dominating performance but I will call it a good one because we did what was needed.

Southcoastoldgaffer likes this.
  2. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

Patience is starting to pay off,there’ll still be bumps along the way but we’re definitely moving in the right direction.

Has everyone remembered the £5 sweepstake we instigated for most correct score predictions?!

3. itfcptc

itfcptc Well-Known Member

Agree it's great to see a player take responsibility for the ball and the team. He is everything I wanted Cole Skuse to be

San Diego and Bigalreigned like this.
  4. itfcptc

Completely agree with alot of this. Burns for me has probably been out most consistent player all season, how he's not got back into the team I don't know.

Edwards and Celina clearly have bags of ability but like so many players of their ilk can lack end product and also because they take risks give the ball away too easily. Fraser, Aluko and Chaplin seem to me alot more consistent in taking care of the ball and getting the balance right between taking a risk and knowing when to keep it simple. I also think we look a much better team when the wide forwards don't cut inside as much. I'd certainly bring Burns back in the team for Edwards next time out and put Aluko on the left, I like him because he's more consistent on the ball and offers a bit of balance.

Agree about Morsy, what a player, if he gets injured we are screwed, getting another Defensive midfielder is a priority for me in the transfer window

Buckyohare and Redruth like this.
  5. itfcptc

Given the clear out Cook said who would have believed Donacien and Nsiala would be the ones to stay and not only that be in the first team

Nuggets and Bigalreigned like this.
  6. itfcptc

Big win this, really needed to follow up the big win with another win however that came, first 2 winning game streak and were nearly back to the position where Cook took over!!

Things are definitely going in the right direction but we haven't played any of the on form teams yet, so the next few weeks will be a test.

I would certainly take a draw next weekend however a win would be a real statement of intent

7. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

For year’s we’ve had to accept that the players we brought in were a downgrade from what we had before.At last with the new owners,all over the pitch we’ve got improvement.To think we can have a player like Burns on the bench and then introduce him as an impact player is great.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2021
    Spanish likes this.
  8. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

The fixtures do get tougher from here on out, as our next five leagues games are all against current top six sides!

We’re away to both Plymouth (1st) and Wycombe (2nd) across four days of football. After a couple of cup games, we then play Oxford (6th), Sunderland (4th), and Rotherham (5th).

As the joint highest scoring club in the top four English leagues, I don’t think we lack firepower and I fancy us to beat any of those sides. It is abundantly clear we need to improve defensively, and I’m hoping the rejuvenation of Donacien and Nsiala, as well as good form by Edmundson and the new goalkeeper, Walton, will ensure our good form continues.

9. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

There is no such thing as luck
    Blimey. We will be doing well to get 7 points out of those matches then. We are really going to see where this team is.

10. Southcoastoldgaffer

Southcoastoldgaffer Well-Known Member

Having seen the iFollow highlights, I have the feeling that if Edwards was properly coached to get that ball in across after all his fair dinkum footwork, he could hold his place. Great to have someone of Celina's calibre as back-up.

Yes, the next 2 weeks will almost certainly define our season. Walton is growing in confidence and made several good saves. I am delighted for Donacien keeping his place and playing a vital role down the right; but Toto always has a howler in him.I wish Coulson was fit to come back as I liked him.

I originally predicted top 10 by October, it's the next leap in development over November/December that will need reliable, consistant performances, prolific goalscoring and robust mean defense.

Top 6 come Xmas? Lets hope so, 9 pts could do it from those fixtures, but everyone is beating everyone else with many surprising unexpected results.

11. Buckyohare

Buckyohare Well-Known Member

I’m not sure Edwards should need to be coached on that elementary level. He’s 24 years old and been coached at a PL club /top level championship. Tbf, I felt both wingers are not brought into the game enough and what was a euphoric victory was very nearly a very frustrating draw and an overall underwhelming home performance.

fwiw, I’d have Fraser in alongside Morsy and Aluko and burns on the wings with Chaplin behind Bonne. For the same reasons of balance, ball retention etc ITFC raised. Seems weird Celina isn’t nailed on given he was signed to play first team football in the PL by Swansea. Guess that shows the standard at L1 now what with Edwards and Carrol also coming from that level.

itfcptc and Southcoastoldgaffer like this.
  12. Southcoastoldgaffer

Valid points and as you say, would, should have had PL level coaching, both of them! Like the idea of Fraser alongside Capt Morsy, Aluko out left and Burns out right. Lets try it! Tho not his natural position, Aluko played well out there when PC changed things a bit.

Buckyohare and itfcptc like this.
  13. itfcptc

That'd be my preferred midfield from what I've seen so far, although I guess Evans at the moment has done nothing warrant being dropped for the next game

14. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Sorry lads, think you're all wrong about playing Fraser next to Morsy. Morsy and Evans are the only natural partnership we have in the team at the moment. I've watched the two of them and they are very much in sync with each other.

Fraser is a 10 who is unlucky that he was pushed out wide for a few games but had little impact. He did little wrong but you could see he struggled to really influence things. Morsy and Evans are always there for each other and each instinctively knows where the other is, I don't think you would get that pairing Samy with Fraser, not immediately anyway.

We have a bunch of #10s - Chaplin, Fraser, Harper, Celina. Barry, and I could see Aluko being good there too. Unfortunately, only one can play and Chaplin has made that spot his for now. I don't think we should try and shoehorn Fraser into the team at the expense of that defensive midfield pair that work so well together. Besides, I don't think Scott's strong points are last minute tackles and blocks.

15. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

Criticism of Nsiala is nonsense. When he has got into trouble it’s been because of other players like Chambers leaving gaping holes and the pressure the team was under for generally being awful. Even world class players make rash tackles sometimes - look at Pogba yesterday!

Likewise Edwards. He’s playing his part in a side playing much superior football. He wins free kicks for us in dangerous areas and he’s not getting a settled place. His natural role is in midfield, not out wide. He’s one of our most talented players.

It’s also not just about what we see on the pitch - it’s character, training, what goes on in the dressing room. So for me, everyone deserves praise for our form at the moment. But equally, the level of our opponents has been so poor I’m sure we have a hell of a lot of work still to do.

16. Southcoastoldgaffer

SD point taken and accepted, as you see far more games than most on here! In reality we have a glut of talent for most positions, as I said some time go, our subs bench would be the envy of all L1 teams and some Champ teams too!

San Diego likes this.
  17. Southcoastoldgaffer

Character is everything, and we are lucky to have loads of them on the park. Given more game time and the right players alongside both Toto and Donacien are shaping up well as 1st team regulars. Who would have thought that back in August? And Toto has presence and he is big, we need big back there! In his mistake prone era he was surrounded by players lack of confidence in a very leaky poorly coached defense.

18. itfcptc

I see no difference in how Nsiala has played under Cook than how he's played under previous managers, he looks top class 80% of the time but still frightens me 20% of the time.

Donacien on the other hand looks like a different player, although I still haven't seen why people rate him so highly defensively but I haven't seen that many games this season, the ones I have either the whole team has been awful defensively or the opposition hasn't really tested us defensively.

As for the Fraser debate, from my understanding his best position is as an 8 in a midfield three, so given the formation we play we haven't really got a position which suits him. I really like what I've seen of him, he looks calm on the ball and creative, not afraid to take the ball in tight spaces and really aware of what is around him but unlike alot of the other players in those wide forward positions or the number 10, he's a midfielder, hes not a runner and let's the ball do the work, the others you would say are forwards or wingers who seem to play the game at 100 miles an hour. Think he could add a bit of balance to the team as sometimes it's a bit frenetic in how quickly we lose possession but figuring out where to put him is difficult.

I still think the balance of the team isn't quite there yet between attacking, defending and keeping the ball

19. Buckyohare

Buckyohare Well-Known Member

The issue with a ‘10’ is what does that actually mean. Some are deep lying strikers which cantona epitomised and set the trend for a striker with skill and flair operating between the lines back when everyone played 442 with two big guys up top and it bamboozled grisly defenders used to big lumps of strikers.

all we had in the league to compare was Le tissier who was slow, did nothing for the team but was brilliant at an individual level. Teams then frantically sought to adapt and find their own cantona and we saw Sasa Curcic at Bolton (who is on record saying fans loved him but he was a hopeless team player), kinkladze at City, but more successfully Zola and Bergkamp. It was the new trend and we loved how it shifted English football albeit none of the top performers were English. As a nation, previously We just didn’t like ‘fancy dans’ and it was all about lumping in into ‘the mixer’ and George Graham was excellent at it what with an exceptional striker in Ian Wright who both scored for fun and held the ball up and could play others in. He was a helluva player.

Fraser is not that man. He’s not a Zola. He’s the attacking midfield type (eg Boban, and in today’s money, Fernandes at Man U) that’s where the data says he operated at mk dons as he had freedom to go forward and attack from deep. Alongside a tough midfielder to do the dirty work he also offered ball retention and tracking to offset his forward runs (which Edwards does not).

So I don’t see him as a 10 for us but in midfield. True, Evans and Morsy are a good pair and have good history together but Fraser is an outstanding player and his most effective position is not ‘in the hole’ or put on the left but from a central attacking midfield position.

20. itfcptc

Similar sort of player to Tommy Miller. Remember the days when you didn't overly have attacking midfielders or defensive midfielders you just had midfielders who did both?

Last edited: Oct 26, 2021
    Buckyohare and San Diego like this.