1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Tranmere game

Discussion in 'Shrewsbury' started by greenhousmeadowman, Feb 25, 2020.

1. greenhousmeadowman

greenhousmeadowman Well-Known Member

Floods permitting we have a good chance of another win tonight that should put any lingering fears about relegation to bed. Let's hope we start with the same team if possible, press them high and force mistakes from set pieces. Tranmere are in even worse form than us and it looks as if they might be taking a step back after two back to back promotions but let's hope they stick with Mellon.
    Come on Salop!

Zenfootball2 likes this.
  2. Zenfootball2

Zenfootball2 Active Member

i would think there might be some changes

i was suprised to hearEdwards may play tonight after the bad cut he recived at the weekend,we dont know how serious the McAley hamstring injury is.

www.shropshirestar.com/sport/football/shrewsbury-town-fc/2020/02/23/josh-vela-came-back-from-injury-early-in-desperation-to-help-shrewsbury-town/

"But I was eager to come back. Really I shouldn't start for another three or four weeks but I got it strengthened up and I wanted to play to help the team out so I came back early and it feels alright.
    Vela physicality and energy was a welcome addition to the midfield but should we risk him again?
    it seems town are willing to take the risk with Vela

https://www.shropshirestar.com/spor...w-josh-vela-back-home-for-his-next-challenge/

Vela will play a crucial role in the heart of Ricketts’ midfield against lowly Tranmere, who are 11 without a league win

3. Zenfootball2

two goals down in 14 minutes some shocking defending, Ramsey just could not cope with there winger who turned him so many times, he also could not cope with his physicality. Tranmere won the physical battles all over the pitch and looked too wont it more with winning a lot of the 50 - 50 balls .
    town were ponderous and predictable .

second half
    Cummings comes on and town started to cause Tranmere some problems using the width of the pitch. Pierre scores with a header . town have a good spell and Lang scores a brilliant goal.
    Ramsey continues to struggle with there winger and you would think town would double up on him but but dont do it often enough.
    i thought the ref was poor

over the course of the game Laurent has four very god chanes frustratingly two go into row Z and two go wide.it was the third were i swore if he had bothered to look up cummings was unmarked in the box a pass to him and it would have been a tap in.!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tranmere start coming in the game , felt we gave far too many corners away, dont we learn we conceed very late there wingers cuts in beats Ramsey and we lose to a sucker punch goal, frustrating for us how bad is that for towns confidence .

all credit to Tranmeres fans who were very vocal in support of there team and for Tranmere who did not fold when town came back in the game and kept playing right to the whistle to win.

4. greenhousmeadowman

Decided not to go tonight due to bad weather forecast in my area. Must say I am not surprised by the result and Ricketts job must be hanging by a thread this week. I am getting rather tired of excuses for a very bad run of form in the league and it is clear we are not seeing the best from this group of players. Where we go from here I do not know.

Zenfootball2 likes this.
  5. Zenfootball2

we dont play wingers there winger 23 was there best player by a country mile and caused us a headache all game
    Edwards abd vela were subbed no suprise as Edwards had a very bad cut so i did not expect him to start and Vela played on Saturday he works hard and was never going to play a full 90 minutes after just returning from injury , we are down to the bear bones

6. greenhousmeadowman

I have always said we should give Ricketts this season and next but I am really beginning to wonder now. Whenever we have two games in a week we put in a dreadful performance in the second game (last night, Anfield etc). Tranmere had a hard game at Wycombe on Saturday, had scored one goal in the seven previous league games, were on a worse run than us yet by all accounts played us off the park in the first half. Our players (with some honourable exceptions like Laurent and Lang) are simply less fit than the opposition so we retreat into full defensive mode and try to nick a goal. Rickett's habit of signing unfit and injury prone players is really costing us. I do not see where the progress is at the moment - in any other season a continuation of our form since Christmas would see us relegated. As it is we will probably limp over the line but we must be absolute certainties for relegation next year unless we see a massive improvement.

Zenfootball2 likes this.