1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer deadline day dealings

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by stretchyboy, Aug 30, 2017.

1. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM Well-Known Member

We could lose the next five games and still be doing better than I thought we would.....so for me I'll wait and see ...hopefully the young uns will continue to surprise us.

Bigalreigned likes this.
  2. stretchyboy

stretchyboy Well-Known Member

Surely there's one out of contract cb out there looking for a contract?
    What's lescott up to these days? If fit, surely good enough short term

3. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

It's only short term though and anyone being asked to come in will know that. They'll be sat on the bench in a couple of weeks.
    I think Josh Emmanuel's loan to Rotherham is a good thing. He's started all but one of their games so far and is arguably getting more experience than Kenlock who is in and out of the team, leading to no consistency. Josh will benefit greatly from the loan and I would rather have one of ours out on loan and playing every week with young cover from another team sitting on our bench than the other way around.

4. Westlake33

Westlake33 Well-Known Member

I'm up for giving a player a go Spanish, it's something however not what we appear to need. CB we are in a mess with at present. Word is Chambers should be back for QPR - surely Iorfa can play CB to success also? Absolute tank. This lad was supposedly very good albeit in a pants Wigan side last term so time will tell. Agree with all seems a very bizarre signing at first glance, however will judge over time.

Hyam and Adeyemi supposedly near a return so we'll have better options for QPR. Thankfully Derby has been pushed back!

5. fieldmarshall

fieldmarshall Well-Known Member

To cut a long story short, we have a huge injury crisis very early in the season including players who have yet to kick a ball for us , so we use the loan market to fill our gaps in crucial positions? oh no we don't.

johnnywarksmoustache likes this.
  6. Westlake33

Westlake33 Well-Known Member

Pretty much my thoughts on this Field, seems odd on the surface we've not signed a proper CB.
    Supposedly Iorfa can play there, he's a man mountain surely we'd be better with him at CB / Spence RB or is that just common sense / me missing something? Can't comment fully as never seen Spence play CB however he doesn't remotely appear to be a CB interms of how I've seen him play the game over the years!

Adeyemi surely be in the 18 at Loftus Road. Wonder if Hyam's had a set back, or the club feel he's ready to rumble as he wasn't in the squad for the win at Hillsborough yesterday. Have to say I'm not at all Luke Hyam's biggest fan.....

7. itfcptc

itfcptc Well-Known Member

I agree with Iorfa, that he was brought in to play CB and RB, but it appears when called upon Spence was preferred there which as you say Westy is weird as he doesn't look too comfortable there.

I think Hyam has been misused by Mick, in midfield he should always be the player with most defensive responsibility, not saying he's a defensive midfielder but he's a tenacious player who breaks up play and the play it simple to get play moving again. He certainly should not be played alongside another DM and be the player expected to create as that's not his game. I really don't understand how Mick has turned a player with some real DM qualities and tried to make him an attacking midfielder and then he turned Tommy Miller who was one of the best goalscoring midfielders into a DM. I think to me that sums up Micks thoughts about central midfield!!

8. Scowey

Scowey Well-Known Member

The issue with an out of contract or out of favour centre back being brought in, they would take 2 or 3 weeks to get match fit (or "up to speed") so what would be the point? Particularly when Chambo will be back and probably Webster and Smith..

Mick might well see more value in using Wolfy, Webber or Smith from the youngsters as well as possibly playing Iorfa at CB which is where he supposedly sees as his best position

9. stretchyboy

This should've been addressed at least 3 weeks ago, when Chambers got injured (especially knowing that Smith and Webster will be out for 2-3 months)
    he assumed that as we were winning (against poor teams), we didn't need any more players, as the full backs were all good enough - wrong! We got the rub of the green with those games.
    The game against QPR will answer a few more questions for me, if we do well and get something out of it, then i'll take the Fulham game as a bad day at the office. If not, then it will highlight how far away we are from a genuine promotion push (even with our injuries)

johnnywarksmoustache likes this.
  10. fieldmarshall

fieldmarshall Well-Known Member

Sorry stretchy but the game v Fulham wasn't a blip, they did the same to us as they did on Boxing Day by completely outclassing us to an embarrassing degree.
    We could have lost every game so far but with strikers on target and good service to them we are always in with a chance, Fulham restricted service to our front men by overrunning our midfield and keeping us on the back foot.
    I don't know what this QPR side is like this season but I think our last performance probably hasn't gone unnoticed.

11. itfcptc

itfcptc Well-Known Member

When is our midfield ever not overrun?

fieldmarshall likes this.
  12. stretchyboy

I agree FM to a certain extent, Fulham taught us a lesson. But, looking at the positives, we're still 2nd in the league and with 6/7 first team players to come back over the next couple of months. I still don't know which way our season is going to go. Before a ball was kicked i predicted we'll end up in the play offs, and even though we was absolutely gash against Fulham, and we were played off the park by Millwall, Brentford and Barnsley, i still think we'll surprise a fee this year, provided we get our players back playing pronto (especially the likes of Huws, Adeyami and a couple of CB's). We have some tough games coming up over the next 7 games, but if we can get at least12 points from them, and stay in the play off places by November, then i genuinely feel we'll stay there all season (again, provided we don't get any more injuries).
    QPR is not a make or break game, but if we get stuffed again like we did at Fulham, then we could slip down the table pretty sharply.
    If we manage to get something out of it, then i feel the spirit of 2014/15 could be back at the club.

fieldmarshall likes this.
  13. ostlan

ostlan Active Member

Totally showing my ignorance now, but are we still able to sign loanees and free agents at the moment, even though the transfer window has shut?

14. Scowey

Scowey Well-Known Member

Free Agents - Yes

Loans - No

The 'Emergency Loan' system was scrapped last season so unless we bring someone in who probably hasn't been training for weeks/months then there is no other options

15. ostlan

ostlan Active Member

Thanks for that Scowey :)