1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours Transfer Rumours thread

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Bozz, Jun 17, 2011.

1. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

Yeah going to start at another club and be sub with us.

2. InBiscanWeTrust

InBiscanWeTrust Rome, London, Paris, Rome, Istanbul, Madrid
    Forum Moderator

As mito said think depends on fee. If someone comes in with more than £10m then might cash in if we get konate as he’d be 5th choice and he may want to go play first team football after this season. He should have confidence in his ability to go play week in week out in the prem now and at his age, no point being 5th choice after half a season playing at the top of the prem.

Id happily keep him as 5th choice though

johnsonsbaby likes this.
  3. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

He's daft if he accepts that, he could start for the likes of Burnley or some other defensive outfit.

4. InBiscanWeTrust

Forum Moderator

Yup. Team like Burnley, Newcastle, Palace, would thrive there to be honest.

luvgonzo likes this.
  5. moreinjuredthanowen

in the end if you leave the medals out of the Philips chat, he doesn't have any and probably would not get on a bench for one. As fifth choice you have to get on that bench and thats not easy.

So if you put yourself in his situation would you not think long term? I would see myself being 24 going on 25 and would want a 5 year deal on 20 or 30k per week.

(or whatever the going rate is now)

We are talking 7 or 8 million to the guy. or 10 or whatever.

surely he deserves his career for working so damned hard to prove everyone wrong

THE FOOL likes this.
  6. moreinjuredthanowen

I think we will have no option but to as I think he falls firmly into the bucket of a late deadline deal for clubs rather than being in demand. I expect him to get a full preseason with us.

I don't see a queue forming for any of our players that I'd consider as needing a move for their own sake.

7. saintKlopp

Yay, get rid of all the bench-warmers.
    Then half way through the season after half a dozen injuries it'll be "we have such a thin squad, why didn't anyone see this coming?"

moreinjuredthanowen likes this.
  8. InBiscanWeTrust

Forum Moderator

how many games have keita shaq origi Grujic played for us this year with all our injury problems? No point having them in squad if not going to play them. Get what you can save the wages and buy 1 or 2 players.

id rather have 1 player on the bench that’s definitely going to be used than 4 that won’t come on. Numbers for the sake of numbers don’t help

9. Solid_Air 2

Solid_Air 2 Well-Known Member

well tbf to Grujuc he was on loan but in PL
    Keita 10
    Shaqiri 14

10. InBiscanWeTrust

Forum Moderator

was it that many? I’d imagine at least half of Shaqiri were last 10 mins subs though.

I do agree we need a squad but no point having 10 players in that squad that klopps never gonna play. Might as well have a squad of 20 who are all capable of playing than a squad of 25 in which 10 aren’t good enough

11. saintKlopp

Of course not, but we do still have to have numbers regardless. I'm seeing comments suggesting getting rid of anyone who isn't a potential starter but that policy will have us back where we were this season with the CBs. Not everyone who isn't first 13 or 14 is automatically dead wood. We'll never have a squad able to field two equal teams so we're bound to have several who are there for a supporting role only.
    Keita has had his chance and won't make it, I agree - but just drawing up a list of those outside the the optimum starters and saying get rid isn't practical. And in reality it's not going to happen.
    In the end it just comes down to personal preferences as to who should stay and who shouldn't, without any practical policy to replace them and maintain squad depth.
    It's like a football manager game, and bears about as much relation to the real game as Monopoly does to real big business.

THE FOOL and johnsonsbaby like this.
  12. moreinjuredthanowen

you still want hungry players who are on the up not players who are coasting.

Theres quite a few who would be better off moving for themselves.

We have a mix in our squad of "up and comers" and the "i didn't make it types" Jones, Neco Williams, Tsimikas, Rhys Williams, phillips are up and comers who are eager to grab a chance. Origi, shaqiri and a few others are on the way out, they just are.

Its natural that if klopp is using them then they are going and doing what's needed and then there's guys who are loaned out who klopp's looked at and said he just won't play and we need to get maintain the value.

Overall I think we all can see that klopp needs players to commit themselves fully for the year ahead, he'll know now whos in his pile of players who are that and who can go should an offer be possible.

johnsonsbaby likes this.
  13. mighty_stevie_g

mighty_stevie_g Well-Known Member

14. johnsonsbaby

johnsonsbaby Well-Known Member

If he's still with us, you can bet that Klopp would put him in for the 2 games or whatever it is that gets you a medal. Hasn't Brewster got a CL medal?

15. moreinjuredthanowen

klopp tried shaqiri in midfield. In fairness to shaqiri he is in a place where as a right winger he has zero chance to get a game so he can play 10 and trying to play a quasi 8.

shaqiri started 5 games. we gain 1 point per game when he did play. he was sub then mostly for a half hour, he's only had 2 time waste sub appearances

It'd be nice if Ox was fit and jones available to take on these minutes. But when you look at it it wouldn't be much use as time on the park for elliott.

Keita on the other hand started the first 4 games, got corona and then game back in to play 6. then he got injured. he got another chance form klopp, got another injury and then was but in the long term fitness thing. Played v fulham and real and then vanished. whether there was an argument or whatever he hasn't been seen since our run started.

I would say that klopp gives them chances but they have not taken them, at what point do you say its time to change?

16. moreinjuredthanowen

yeah but everyone on the squad got a medal and he made up the numbers.

So has kelleher.

Jones got his prem medal.

its 5 games so getting a player sthrough 5 games aint that easy when they have to merit the spot too.

my point would be if is 2-1 and its 3 mins to go and klopp throws on a big lad to shore it up (and he had done this) when he looks around will he see joel mtip sat there or nat phillips?

17. johnsonsbaby

johnsonsbaby Well-Known Member

I agree with you. I just think that Klopp rewards effort and if there's the slightest chance to get Phillips a medal he will take it albeit not at the expense of jeopardising a game.

18. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

What about as fourth choice when Matip inevitably ****s off

19. moreinjuredthanowen

where will matip go?

he has a deal to 2024 when he will be 32 and frankly is on 100k a week.

He's never getting a better deal than that anywhere. once he is 32 he'll only have 2 years left anyway so who is giving him more?

20. SIR_KENNY_KLOPP_KING

SIR_KENNY_KLOPP_KING Well-Known Member

Matip is there to play 15-20 games a season. That’s it. Any more than that and he’ll break. Having Phillips as back up to Matip I’d fine...but if I were Phillips, I’d want to play more after this season.