1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours Transfer Rumours thread

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Bozz, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

People crying about free speech does my nut in. We live in an age where the opportunity to express your opinion to a wide audience has never been greater. People are expressing their right of free speech every day of the week as you have done here.

You can use that free speech to be racist, homophobic or misogynist, only that’ll likely come with a consequence. As free speech does mean that you have the right to be hateful. Having a difference of opinion isn’t hateful.

2. THE FOOL

THE FOOL Well-Known Member

I think that was my point, if your opinion differs from the current popular narrative the attack can be quite savage. I'm unsure if freedom of speech is the right term, more intolerance to Nybodies opinions but you own.

Bumps likes this.
  3. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

If your opinion is ratio’d then that’s just life.

4. moreinjuredthanowen

On the above.

The verbs is something that is quite confusing.

It is I suppose like kneeling before a game, an easy way to pretend to show support without having to do anything. It's an easy add to email signature and linkedin and you never have to do anything.

They in theory have nothing really to do with sexual orientation and some to confuse lgbtq+ as much as anyone.

He/his just seems (cos I cant quite figure it out) means I see myself as an and you can refer to me as one. (Though I guess on not606 people expect me to put ****/****y)

In theory you can put anything then and expect ordinary people to jump through hoops to change their vocabulary of fear of giving offense.

We had a woman in before covid to explain all this and stats about kids coming put and all that stuff and terms and frankly they seem to change weekly.

Seemingly saying nobody cares what you are go for it isnt supportive or something. All very confusing but you can see how you can milk this stuff for a.consultancy.

A lad I know from scotland milked the angle for a promotion for example. Did nothing but had a once a year pride thing that would prob happen anyway but get the plant manager all over it and access to senior management on visits etc. Was given the job I am in now without interview despite.not being qualified and then did nothing but make empty promises I had to tidy up after he got his next promotion out to london.

He then hated his new job cos he was expected to actually deliver and lecture the company and move to a major fashion brand (zero to do with his masters degree btw) and has a plan to be a VP by the time he is 40.

Long story but there you go. This is all big business imo and you can make a fortune off it.

Pity the kids who live in the moment and dont realise we are probably mostly supportive and that cos all they hear is all this stuff about how the world hates them off the internet.

Bumps, THE FOOL and Sucky like this.
  5. Solid_Air 2

Solid_Air 2 Well-Known Member

err wtf does "your opinion is ratio’d" mean ?

6. moreinjuredthanowen

Mitoese clearly.

Solid_Air 2 likes this.
  7. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

If you post something on social media and the ratio of those who disagree rather than agree with you is massive.

Solid_Air 2 likes this.
  8. Solid_Air 2

Can't be as i can normally have a stab at what they mean but this one not a scooby .

9. Solid_Air 2

ah a social media term so that explains why i had no idea .

Bumps and Zorba like this.
  10. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

It can be quite amusing, especially if it’s a celebrity or MP who gets absolutely butchered for posting some ill informed tripe.

organic red likes this.

11. Solid_Air 2

i just can't be arsed with it .

12. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

I swerve most of it tbh.

13. THE FOOL

If it was just a case of disagreement, then I wouldn't be arsed, but as you say later, why should someone be butchered for their opinion, Ill informed or otherwise.

It's not just social media, but maybe that's the driving force.

To be honest, I just wish people would be a bit nicer to each other.

Bumps likes this.
  14. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

That’ll generally only happen when the opinion is based on information that’s demonstrably false and easily shown to be so. So the celebrity or MP or whoever should have checked the veracity of their ‘facts’ before sharing it with the globe. Some do it knowingly which makes it way worse, as they know the lie will be amplified anyway and many of their followers will simply accept it as being fact without question. As an example Farage has done it (yet again) with a tweet about Ireland this morning.

15. THE FOOL

I'll have to disagree with you there. I think it was on the BBC website that a lecturer was being campaigned against for her views on gender, on a university campus, she wasn't allowed to speak her mind.

It's quite a widespread thing, people can't just disagree anymore or hold opposing opinions, someone always needs to be drawn over the coals, punished, for the temerity of not going along with the latest fad crusade.

Diego, Bumps and Zorba like this.
  16. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

I can’t comment as I don’t know about the story, I tend to avoid the entire gender thing as tbh it confuses me and I have no interest in it.

Zanjinho and THE FOOL like this.
  17. moreinjuredthanowen

People just dont realise that the end result of democracy and total freedom is eventual anarchy and groups turning on each other.

It is human nature to form groups.

It is human nature to play my group not your group games

And it's also human nature to attack those not of your group.

What we need is a good dictatorship to sort this stuff out. Where Zuckerberg and his ilk would be hauled in and locked up if they cross the party and then of course to tell everyone how to think.

Or is that just china :)

The west has frittered its freedoms away on trivalities and its technological superiority has been chipped away. The US power economy has been matched by china as well.

The inevitability of resource wars and climate change is coming.

Bumps and THE FOOL like this.
  18. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

Divide and conquer - hardly a new idea…..

I despise the faux culture war being stirred at the minute, it’s so obvious yet seemingly so effective.

Bumps likes this.
  19. Bumps

Bumps Well-Known Member

I have posted about that on numerous occasions
    The issue for me is the why
    But then you end up on conspiracy theories
    Which I know many don’t buy into
    And we end up retreading old discussions lol

THE FOOL likes this.
  20. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

Personally, I think there’s nothing conspiratorial about it, it’s a deliberate act used to reinforce tribal loyalties and to deflect away from actual issues of the day. Taxes to increase….quick look over here we’re going to have some jetskis to bounce back dinghies.

saintKlopp and Sucky like this.