1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours Transfer Rumours thread

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Bozz, Jun 17, 2011.

1. saintKlopp

Perhaps, but there's a compelling argument that others - Virgil and Alisson are the obvious examples - are just as crucial to our current level. I just don't think any one player in a team is worth twice that of any other, and my personal opinion is that it sends the wrong message to the others, not the other way round.
    Also, it's putting all your eggs in one basket - like I said earlier, if we have limited funds we have to be careful how we spend them - it's irresponsible to do anything else.
    Do we give Mo an improved contract? Absolutely. Do we acquiesce to the demands of his agent, regardless of what they are? Absolutely not.

Solid_Air 2, Diego and Bumps like this.
  2. Bumps

Bumps Well-Known Member

Well the proof would be last season to the likes of VVD

I don’t like the idea of giving into demands - and I think the wording of Salah’s press release is very clever

It would be interesting to see how Salah got on at Madrid or Munich or PSG
    Or Newcastle….

3. LuisDiazgamechanger

Salah said he do not want to Leave Liverpool because he cannot stand the thought of playing against them Congratulations to him for signing a new contract soon.

Zorba likes this.
  4. saintKlopp

If you're referring to the "it's out of my hands" bit then I've already said I really don't like that. His agent may be the one to do the negotiating, but he is the one to say whether he accepts the offer or not.

Bumps likes this.
  5. Bumps

Bumps Well-Known Member

Yeah I know you said that and I agree :)

saintKlopp likes this.
  6. Zorba

Zorba Well-Known Member

From what I got from YouTube,the 'out if my hands' is that he meant he'd stay at Liverpool as long as they wanted him.<confused>

johnsonsbaby likes this.
  7. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

I think this is more he's not involved in negotiations, it's between the club and his agent

Last edited: Oct 24, 2021
  8. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

I agree this is the best time to sell, I'd usually be with you in suggesting this too. However, who is buying him?

9. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

What does it say to future stars? Liverpool are a well built club that give you a great platform to fulfil your playing dreams but also put you in a very expensive shop window for that end of career financial goldmine move.

Nobody joins Liverpool expecting to be extravagantly paid (in football terms)

10. LuisDiazgamechanger

One plus for Salah is , he stays out of long term injury and Mane also . If Salah has been injured too frequently no one would be bothered of giving a fresh contract.

johnsonsbaby and Zorba like this.

11. moreinjuredthanowen

If you read between the lines guys what salah is really saying is I now have residency in the uk lads, I dont want to end up at Newcastle playing liverpool but if you dont stump up the going rate I'll just have to be sad doing it.

He is on the ball this lad, as I said milner retires and we have the money to pay him 350k per week without ever taxing ourselves.

12. saintKlopp

I understand that, but it's still his decision. His agent says I asked for X amount but the club won't go beyond Y, he can say well I'm happy with that.

13. Jimmy Squarefoot

Jimmy Squarefoot Well-Known Member

We have longed to be a destination club for the the best players as we were often seen as the stepping stone.

We literally have the best player in the world saying he wants to stay. If we can't keep him, then what are we as a club? Do we actually have ambitions to be the biggest and best? Or are we content with merely competing?

Do we just want to become a new Leipzig or Dortmund? Keep getting rid of our best players to fund new new ones and then repeat the process?

We have hardly bought players since we won the CL - if we can't afford to keep Salah, then there needs to be serious questions asked on finances / ownership. We thought it was a good idea to give Henderson a £200k a week contract until he's 35 - you can't then tell me that there are questions over Salah's worth.

johnsonsbaby likes this.
  14. moreinjuredthanowen

Or the club are just negotiating and we all need to chillax

mighty_stevie_g likes this.
  15. johnsonsbaby

johnsonsbaby Well-Known Member

I agree. "It depends on what the club wants, it doesn't depend on me." That sounds like he wants the club and it depends on whether they want him. I do think that it can be interpreted in a different way - if you want it to.

16. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

No we haven't. We don't sign stars, we make stars!

17. moreinjuredthanowen

Club was about winning not stars. You can take your pick of any generation there was no stars just top players and team mates.

Imo Owen was the first genuine hysteria but torres absolutely eclipsed it. It was mania. But torres was a team player too

The one thing klopp has is team ethic more than anything else.

In the past we let lads go to do whatever, keegan, souness, rush, if they wanted we got good money had had our replacement in mind.

Dalglish, mcmahon, aldo.

18. Jimmy Squarefoot

Jimmy Squarefoot Well-Known Member

My statement applies to keeping players and not just buying players. We've had world class players like Mascherano, Alonso, Torres, Suarez all wanting to leave for bigger things.

19. johnsonsbaby

johnsonsbaby Well-Known Member

Generally speaking, I agree, we do make more stars than we sign. We did sign world class players in Alisson, Fabinho and Thiago (albeit he is on the other side of the curve of his very best days but was still a regular starter and CL winner in a world class team at Bayern). Virgil was well on the way to world class and arguably became that in his first season with us.

I agree with Jimmy's sentiment that whether or not we sign stars, we do very much want to be in consideration as a destination for the very best players. Not every good player is greedy but they will want to know that we're not entire skinflints when it comes to negotiating the right deal for the right player.

I wouldn't normally be of this opinion but in Salah's case I say we break the bank for him, he's that important to this team.

Jimmy Squarefoot likes this.
  20. saintKlopp

There will always be some players who want to leave - be it for more money, more fame, a change of scene, climate, closer to family - whatever. You can't stop that. We do our own thing - pay what we can afford, and with Klopp particularly, build a team from what we have.
    No matter how good an individual player is, he's not enough without the team around him. There are always different players, and a different way to play.

Jimmy Squarefoot likes this.