1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by jeffranger, Jun 6, 2022.

1. Uber_Hoop

Uber_Hoop Well-Known Member

Bonne.

2. QPR Oslo

QPR Oslo Well-Known Member

No, that's not my recollection. Most of those kind of errors came early on in his 3 year spell with us, back in 2019, and he improved considerably himself and us, after return from injury in Feb 2020 when we still played mainly with 2 CB's. We played with 2 CB's most of his 1st season with us and the first half of his 2nd season, until the end of 2021 when we we went with the back 3. Barbet played consistently well from Feb 2020 in both set ups. He also played every minute of the 20/21 season, the only player in the Championship to do that apparently.

SW Ranger and Steelmonkey like this.
  3. Quite Possibly Raving

Quite Possibly Raving Well-Known Member

I don't doubt his commitment and his willingness to play through injury was highly commendable. Don't get me wrong, I liked him and thought he did well after the switch to the back 3. I just don't think it's all that bad that he's off and we're not budging from what we thought was a realistic offer. Different perspectives no bad thing - what makes the game fun and this board interesting :emoticon-0148-yes:

4. Frome-Ranger

Frome-Ranger Well-Known Member

Charlie Austin wanted by Reading apparently. Wherever he goes I bet he'll score a bagfull and we'll look silly for releasing him. Especially as Dykes is injured again. We don't really have any strikers do we?

5. Ciarrai_Abu

Ciarrai_Abu Well-Known Member

I hope he does well, I really do (except if he is up against us of course) but he was looking increasingly immobile and the right decision was made to let him ago I think.

6. Frome-Ranger

Frome-Ranger Well-Known Member

Broadly agree although I thought he looked in much better shape his last few games. Reckon he was badly affected by off-field stuff and his head wasn't in the right place.

QPR Oslo likes this.
  7. qprbeth

qprbeth Wicked Witch of West12
    Forum Moderator

Strong rumours we have got George Cox from Fortuna Stittard...ex Brighton 24 y old.
    We were after him last year. LB/ LWB

WalsallHoop, KentGaz and Didley Squat like this.
  8. jeffranger

jeffranger Well-Known Member

Strong rumours from where Beth? I really hope we get him

9. qprbeth

qprbeth Wicked Witch of West12
    Forum Moderator

Twitter....but from a source who has been right before but is not WLS

10. bobmid

bobmid Well-Known Member

Depending on his wage demands, i personally would have kept Chaz at the club. We dont have any strikers and when youre desperate for a goal in the last 10 mins or so then i would want him on the end of crosses in the box.

11. Ranger4ever

Ranger4ever Well-Known Member

Agree. Without a decent striker, where are the goals going to come from. Certainly not Dykes.

12. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

To my surprise he played in 38 games last year, including 2 FA Cup and 2 League Cup. He scored 7 goals.

I don’t think he’s the answer.

Dykes played in 33 games and scored 8.

13. Ranger4ever

Ranger4ever Well-Known Member

Yes, I agree he's not the answer but neither is Dykes. If you count the goals to the number of minutes played, I believe Dykes will look even worse.

Can we get Clive Allen or Simon Stainrod out of retirement!!

bobmid likes this.
  14. Hammersmith bookie

Hammersmith bookie Well-Known Member

Have patience , we will be bringing in 2 strikers !

Didley Squat likes this.
  15. rangercol

rangercol Well-Known Member

Austin on one leg is a better finisher than Dykes will ever be.
    I like Dykes in the same way I liked Mackie, but he's not the answer up front imo.
    I'm not convinced Austin was ever fully fit last season and that there was as much going on mentally as physically.
    I would have retained him as a squad player to bring on when a goal was needed.
    Two problems with that:
    He may not settle for that and we may not have the luxury of carrying someone in that way.
    Of course, he may prove us all wrong and play regularly next season, scoring 20 goals.

16. SW Ranger

SW Ranger Well-Known Member

Can’t argue with any of that.
    I can see us making a permanent striker signing and decent loan signing to carry us through this season. Of course we have Kelman and Bonne to consider too - do they fit into the squad? Then there’s the oft touted Armstrong who has to be considered - but at just 18 is he too young to be thrown into the first team squad? Definitely some decisions to be made

17. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

I wasn’t claiming that Dykes is any good, just comparing his performance last season with Austin’s. Both were crap for alleged out and out strikers and there is a bit of a myth around ‘bring Charlie on and he will score’. Having seen Austin at all stages last season he was certainly never fit, and I don’t know if he ever will be again. Time to move on from him. Dykes too, if we get a chance, or unless Beale can work on him.

18. Quite Possibly Raving

Quite Possibly Raving Well-Known Member

I still think Dykes can come good. Not 20 goal a season good, but as a really good enabler for the two 10s who also chips in with some goals. Will be interesting to see what Beale does with him.

19. Didley Squat

Didley Squat Well-Known Member

Hopefully, the new Big Cheese can sniff out a striker from the lower divisions and make something of him or them.
    Also hope that were aren't solely relent on a given striker and that we seek two, possibly three in the mix.

Can't see the point in having one decent striker compared 11 on the field.
    To be successful, we need multi attack personnel, especially in case one isn't firing.
    Our attack personnel needs to match our defence personnel, numbers.

Best form of defence, is attack!

kiwiqpr likes this.
  20. Stroller

Stroller Well-Known Member

Austin was an expensive crock at the fagend of his career last season. As Stan pointed out, the stats show that he was no more effective than Dykes in terms of goals and he certainly contributed less than Dykes in other areas. Dykes has a lot to learn, but still he has the potential to be a decent striker at Championship level. He may not develop further than that, but he's certainly worth persevering with for another season. We definitely need to sign another striker, though.

Willhoops, Rodney, Hoop-Leif and 3 others like this.