1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by jeffranger, Jun 6, 2022.

1. Hammersmith bookie

Hammersmith bookie Well-Known Member

Simple fact is they'll never recoup them in this league ! Forest have had 2 transfer embargo's placed on them in the past for breaking FFP rules and still went berserk after appointing Cooper when bottom last season. If you want to get in the Premier league the bottom line is you have to gamble and spend big. They have continued that pre season by making 13 transfers, unlike Norwich who are happy to spend 1 season in the Prem then drop down again and so on for eternity. Of course it can backfire and you'll be in the **** , it's ultimately what ambition you have as owners. There's no way that the Forest owner is worth more money than all our owners combined, but he wants Forest and Olympiacos to be major players and is willing to gamble to do it. Do you tow the line and have mediocrity for evermore or take the risk and aim for the stars ?

Rangers Til I Die likes this.
  2. Stroller

Stroller Well-Known Member

We've done the spend big gamble, remember? It cost the owners the biggest fine in World sport. I perfectly understand their 'ambition' to not have it happen again.

3. peter1954qpr

peter1954qpr Well-Known Member

We are fast approaching decision time if we carry on the way we are then we can kiss goodbye to the premier league & hope to avoid dropping into the 1st division, the owners either gamble & spend big or accept this is as far as they can take us

Hammersmith bookie likes this.
  4. SW Ranger

SW Ranger Well-Known Member

I wonder how much we paid to get MB from Villians. I’m sure there was something about a release fee. So that would be a signing.

5. Hammersmith bookie

Hammersmith bookie Well-Known Member

Which we are paying off at 4 quid a month lol. And like I said that's very understandable. But if their ambition and desire not to pump any more money into the club has gone where does that leave us. Endlessly muddling around in the Championship or worse, its a business these days not a sport. Without serious investment in the club we will never get back to the Premier League it's a pipedream. If we intend to just be a club that nurtures young talent to then sell them on to bigger clubs for a profit then that's fine but that won't get you back in the top tier. When's the last time anyone heard anything from Amit ? He seems to have vanished into thin air, he used to post things all the time. It's all very strange at the moment

peter1954qpr likes this.
  6. QPR Oslo

QPR Oslo Well-Known Member

Covering nearly 1 month is a lot better than nothing! From what Beale has said this week we will need to sell someone else if we are going to bring in another striker.

WLS are also reporting today that because he plans to play a back 3 at some stage this season he wants to keep Masterson and Gubbins in house as back up to Dickie, JSC and Dunne in case of possible injuries/ suspensions; because we can use 5 subs this season; and also because Clubs wanting to loan our players tend to only pay 25% of their wages and for that we are better off keeping them. Good thinking imo. Masterson is a possible back-up at DCM as well as CB. Beale sees potential in Gubbins too, who he says has a great left foot, so maybe back up to JSC.

7. bobmid

bobmid Well-Known Member

The sad reality is this, we would have to have a massive stroke of luck to either find or entice a striker better than what we have, or be willing to splash some cash. We have yet to do the latter this season. We may do the former by starting Armstrong for a number of games.
    Its a tricky situation, I don't want our club to be financially ruined but I also don't want to go to Preston on a wet Wednesday night with absolutely nothing to play for.

peter1954qpr, rangercol and SW Ranger like this.
  8. QPR Oslo

QPR Oslo Well-Known Member

They spent a lot badly on players who were well past their best. The best way would have been to have stuck mostly with the team that got us promoted under Warnock and just added one or two really good players to that squad with some of the PL money, not all of it. This was made difficult because the sale to Fernandez didnt get done until the week before the deadline, and key players in that squad like Routledge and Gorkks went while we were in limbo between owners during the summer.

9. SW Ranger

To be honest I think we got done over as naive owners by ruthless agents and players. We thought we were getting experienced professional players and got end-of-career opportunists with large leather bags that needed filling with cash first and foremost. A total shambles; that we paid the price for twice with fines.

We are in recovery (and some credit to the board for sticking to their guns to get things back on a reasonable keel) and until the EFL makes this league an attractive investment to TV and sponsors (and they could if they pulled their fingers out of their arses) Championship clubs will be chickens scratching around in the dust to build strong teams.

10. rangercol

rangercol Well-Known Member

Did he? That's interesting.

When did he say that?
    Absolutely agree about the overreaction to last week's defeat.

Quite Possibly Raving likes this.

11. rangercol

I'm quite torn on this.
    As others have said, I fully understand the club not wanting to get into trouble with FFP again, but at the same time, it does feel as though there may be a lack of ambition.
    However unlikely, myself as a fan must always feel there's a chance of promotion or winning a cup imo.

peter1954qpr likes this.
  12. SW Ranger

We are in an era of recession now and we have a board who are heavily risk biased. They seem to be taking a prudent approach on managing club finances. We don’t have the biggest gates, or the richest sponsors - so people may well be choosing not to go to live games, sponsors will be harder to find, some could go bust (some of ours have already been said to be not exactly secure).

Of course anyone could win promotion or a cup with a bit of luck thrown in, why else would we bring MB in? I could pull Claudia Schiffer too… it’s the hope that keeps us all going.

13. Sooperhoop

Sooperhoop Well-Known Member

A lot of question marks over Florist owner's money, let's say they could be sponsored by a launderette...

14. Sooperhoop

Sooperhoop Well-Known Member

Leicester apparently interested in Rob Dickie...

15. Quite Possibly Raving

Quite Possibly Raving Well-Known Member

If Forfana is going for £70m and they are getting even more than that for Maddison then we can hopefully get a good chunk of that!

16. bobmid

bobmid Well-Known Member

I honestly don't think there has been an over reaction to the result as such but more the fact that we didn't have a single shot on target.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2022
  17. YorkshireHoopster

YorkshireHoopster Well-Known Member

After precisely one competitive game?. Now that would be a record.

18. Hoop-Leif

Hoop-Leif Well-Known Member

Think you may have grasped the wrong end of the tree branch there.

19. rangercol

Fair enough.
    I'll be more concerned when all our attacking players are fit and back and that's still the case.
    Agreed, though, that no shots on target isn't good enough.

20. Steelmonkey

Steelmonkey Well-Known Member

You sure you're supporting the right club? When was the last time you thought we had any chance winning a cup....when we were in L1 and in Johnstones Paint Trophy? <laugh><laugh>