1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours transfer thread fact and fiction

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by remembercolinlee, Feb 1, 2017.

1. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

Coincidentally, that is my response when trying to understand Mad Men's appeal...

2. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

please log in to view this image

3. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

I like this

please log in to view this image

4. humanbeingincroydon

That's more my response to True Detective...

5. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

No. It's an insulting offer. £200m cash up front or they can **** off.

remembercolinlee likes this.
  6. humanbeingincroydon

If they can suddenly find the cash in their bottomless pit of money to pay more for Grealish than their first dictated terms to us for Kane, they can keep rummaging around in there until they find something worthwhile

Or some unexploded WWII munitions, at which point Kane's staying and we'll be getting Laporte and Gabriel at a knockdown price in January while they get ttell Leeds fans "Hey, you thought you had it bad..."

7. Citizen Kane.

Citizen Kane. Well-Known Member

Don't rate Jesus. He's the kind of player who needs 5 or 6 clear cut chances to score 1 goal. Lucky for him, he has had David Silva, KDB, Bernardo, Sane and Gundogan to provide those chances and then some. We cannot match that level of creativity so I think he'd be a waste of money.

The fact that Pep barely played him despite Aguero being injured all season should tell its own story.

8. Billy The Spur

Billy The Spur Well-Known Member

Sell Kane and Spurs can kiss goodbye to any chance of the top 4, this is why the majority of the media are desperate to see him leave. Kane leaving will remove Spurs from the top 4 equation, leaving the door open for the media`s darling clubs.

People who keep banging on about Paratici, need a reality check, there are no guarantees and there is every chance he will turn into Baldini mk2. Up to now, we have signed (and been linked to) players with no PL experience, a large fee for Kane could just as easily be squandered as invested wisely., we have seen this pantomime play out before. The proof will be in the pudding.

You keep your best players until they are over the hill or their contract is running out. And you only sell if the offer is way above market value and too good to turn down. We all know if we start seeing some abnormal spending, then Kane is going late in the window.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
  9. humanbeingincroydon

Add to that how he wouldn't be a good fit for our system

Our system requires somebody just as capable of scoring as they are playing in Son and Gil/Bergwijn/Lucas which Kane does so well, but Gabriel's a poacher so while he would be good off the bench in clutch situations he wouldn't be playing in Son etc as he's a head-down player - and given he's not as insanely clinical as someone like Lewandowski, he'd weaken us up front by spurning chances left and right in much the same way Barren Dent did when filling in for Keane & Berbatov

Citizen Kane. likes this.
  10. Left on the Shelf

Left on the Shelf Well-Known Member

His on pitch attitude has always looked suspect too. Don't rate him and we should steer well clear.

11. humanbeingincroydon

I do hope Levy's immediate reply was "£90m plus Laporte & Foden, you say?"

12. yossarian

yossarian Well-Known Member

I suppose the one saving grace with Kane is that he's so desperate to win the Golden Boot every season that he won't down tools like some of our ex-players have done in the past.

13. paultheplug

paultheplug Well-Known Member

I would offer Kane, Sissoko and Dier for Días and Cancelo and £90 mill. Take it or leave it <laugh>

14. Citizen Kane.

I'm torn on this and I think a huge (relatively unknown) factor in all this is what the player himself has going through his head. He's still on his summer break so I doubt he has had a proper chat with Nuno to listen to the new manager's vision and plans for the coming season(s). That chat might convince him to stay. It might also reinforce his view that the time is right to leave.

Losing Kane would be a hammer blow, there is no doubt about that. But i keep circling back in my mind to the moment Liverpool stared down an uproar and sold Coutinho, bringing in Allison and VVD with the money and totally transforming the club's trajectory. Klopp figured out a way to play without his talisman, made a some very smart purchases in Robertson and Salah, got a bit lucky with talent emerging from the academy in TAA and Gomez, and whaddayanow - they have since won the CL and PL.

That was a seminal moment. I remember mocking Pool fans at the time - almost all of whom were nervous wrecks panicking that they'd just shot themselves in both feet - but who's laughing now?

And yes, there is no question we are haunted by the spectre of Baldini's Travelling Circus and how it set the club back 2 seasons, but the flipside of that fear is paralysis. We have become over paranoid about selling the right players at the right time. And so, we ended up selling Eriksen for £50m less than his true worth. We are still stuck with Dele and Dier. We are bloody lucky someone with more money than brains in the gulf took Toby off our hands.

There is a very fine and very delicate balance between getting it right and getting it totally wrong but if the player wants out and the price is a good one, there is very little point in keeping him only for the inevitable to happen next summer.

If Kane can be convinced to stay 1 more year and get his head down, help us back into the CL, perfect. He'll be much easier to replace if we can offer games against Bayern Munich instead of Sporting Pripyat Amputee XI.

yossarian and Left on the Shelf like this.
  15. KingHotspur

KingHotspur Well-Known Member

You can’t keep a player if they’re determined to go though, even if they’re crucial like Kane is.

I’m not saying he will go on strike (although it wouldn’t massively surprise me) but even if he plays and is just 10% off his game, it’s a massive difference.

16. humanbeingincroydon

Can we stop bringing up Coutinho as justification for letting Kane go? The two situations are not remotely comparable

Coutinho was surplus to requirements at Saltypool as their creativity came from their WBs and their goals came from their wingers, and because he was neither their main scoring or creative asset he was effectively free money that could be invested in other areas of the team

Kane is not surplus to requirements at Spurs, as he is our main source of goals and last season was also a main source of creativity at any point beyond the halfway line, so if he leaves the money needs to be reinvested in somebody who can replicate his scoring form first and foremost - and those players do not come cheap, so the majority of the fee would be spent replacing one player and not addressing other areas of the squad

Do we really not remember what happened when Keane & Berbatov left? The goals disappeared, and because we weren't scoring goals the various weaknesses in the squad rapidly consumed the team and had us averaging .25 points per game. And considering we've just come off one season where the weaknesses in our team were on full display and exacerbated by a manager who had us playing to those weaknesses, does anyone really feel confident that we can sell off our main source of goals and be fine? And if they do, can I ask them one simple question: has the NHS received its £350m a week yet?

Billy The Spur likes this.
  17. humanbeingincroydon

talkBALLS claim we've had our offer for Romero accepted, which is likely aggregated from the various Argentine sources

Billy The Spur likes this.
  18. Citizen Kane.

Robertson was only signed the summer before VVD arrived in January following Coutinho's departure. So was Salah. TAA broke through to the first team later that same season and it wasn't until the following season (18/19) when they added Allison that the clearly well thought-out and implemented incremental plan came to fruition and they won the CL, finishing runners up in the league.

I agree, the two situations are not wholly comparable simply because Coutinho wasn't as important to Pool as Kane is to us. But I will repeat: one of the reasons he wasn't as important to them was the fact that the SYSTEM Klopp was building was more important that any individual player. We haven't had a functioning system in 2.5 years now, so it is absolutely not surprise the importance of players like Kane and Son becomes amplified beyond all reasonable measure, as does the fear of losing them.

yossarian, BobbyD and Spurf like this.
  19. Solid_Air 2

Solid_Air 2 Well-Known Member

as a Red i feel the need to point out Coutinho was a vital part of our attack until his sale only then did we move to a functional MF with the FB's providing the width.
    evidence for this is in season 17 / 18 where Coutinho was sold in the Jan
    Goals Assists
    Coutinho 7 6
    Robbo 1 5
    TAA 1 1

hardly surplus since Couts stats are from 14 games .

yossarian and BobbyD like this.
  20. Billy The Spur

Billy The Spur Well-Known Member

Pool undoubtedly improved after Coutinho was sold, but lets not forget they play with 13 men most weeks, they benefit massively from the introduction of VAR and general benefit of doubt from the officials, with mass media hype dragging them along also. We would never see that kind of help at Spurs, no matter how good a team we had.