1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours transfer thread fact and fiction

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by remembercolinlee, Feb 1, 2017.

1. Citizen Kane.

Citizen Kane. Well-Known Member

I was thinking similar Re Conor Coady, who I've always rated and is also HG. No idea why he's joining the Boodison circus and the fact it is on loan is even more peculiar as he is on a long term contract at Wolves.

Would fit the bill perfectly as he is used to playing that central role for Wolves. I can only assume the guarantee of playing time swayed it but could have been another move we made more effort to hijack.

2. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

He'll play for Everton and he's from Liverpool, having come through the Fake Scouse academy.
    It's basically his last chance to play in a World Cup, so he's got to play regularly for that.

3. Dier Hard

Dier Hard it's SPURS

Well scrap that because he’s just posted snaps of himself in London on his Instagram, so maybe he will go Hotspur Way! <laugh>

4. Dier Hard

Dier Hard it's SPURS

Closer to home I’d imagine.

Doubt he’d have joined us though, WC year and I doubt he’d get the required game time to make the squad and if anything he’d lose his England place to Dier because of it.

5. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

Common sense dictates our medical team is in Italy wondering where the hell he is

PleaseNotPoll and Dier Hard like this.
  6. Citizen Kane.

But he's a nailed-on starter for Wolves, who are markedly a better team than Everton.

Or is this about how only certain clubs are allowed to be represented at international level?

I get why he wouldn't want to move to us; it's the part where club captain and legend Conor Coady leaves Wolves to join a circus that puzzles me.

7. perrymanlegend

perrymanlegend Well-Known Member

A mate of mine once told me we should never get players from relegated or struggling teams, they are that way for a reason. Generally I agree with that , but its not a one size fits all scenario.

8. Citizen Kane.

"Speeding up so fast" and "Tanguy Ndombele" aren't necessarily the words you'd default to building a sentence from.

9. humanbeingincroydon

Tanganga's agent posted this to IG...

please log in to view this image

PleaseNotPoll likes this.
  10. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

He seems to have lost his place at Wolves, who have also switched to a back four.
    Nathan Collins coming in from Burnley has pushed him out.
    He lives in Widnes, by all accounts, so Everton are right on his doorstep.

11. Dier Hard

Dier Hard it's SPURS

We got the here we go!

12. Citizen Kane.

It is a strange feeling seeing Tottenham conduct themselves with common sense and forward thinking in the transfer window.

After so many years of watching our summer resemble the Alamo on March 6th 1836, I'd forgotten what actual strategy looks like.

13. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

The Conte effect makes Mourinho look like a novice. Maybe that's a bit unfair because of the pandemic effect but I have never seen such an effective new broom before except perhaps Gorbachev.

14. KingHotspur

KingHotspur Well-Known Member

15. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

When did we last sign players sought after by other leading top division clubs. Ardiles and Villa perhaps? That was 1978 54 years ago.

16. humanbeingincroydon

More often than we get credit for

Man Utd were after Bale, Dembele and Reguilon, for example

17. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

That was my question. This many at once?

18. Dier Hard

Dier Hard it's SPURS

I think a lot is also down to Paratici. I’m not sure we’d have signed some of these players had it not been for him, clearly a very connected guy and he moves swiftly too.

The next step is hoping he can shift some more of our deadwood, especially dumb and dumber, getting those two off the books will be gold star worthy.

19. Citizen Kane.

We were very good at it during the era when the gap between us and the top teams was large enough that a promising young player would weigh up the two options and come to the conclusion that they would likely get far more playing time at us, develop more strongly and potentially use us as a stepping stone to a mega money move a few years down the line. Cf. Berbatov, Modric, Bale etc.

We then entered an era, mainly under Poch, where suddenly the gap narrowed quite rapidly and we were playing in the same competitions and challenging for the same trophies. As a result, that game time was no longer a guarantee. It is no coincidence that during that era we saw a number of supposedly promising youngsters fade to nothing (Wimmer, Nkoudou, Njie, Janssen, Clarke all spring to mind), our academy products ground to a halt and a glut of promising young players joined the likes of Leicester, West Ham and even dare I say it Arsenal for exactly the same reasons they'd joined us 6-7 years earlier.

The problem was compounded by the fact that even though the on field gap had narrowed drastically, the financial gap between us and the top table was still vast, so we couldn't throw money at the problem to solve it either, outbidding any competition and paying young talent a fortune to sit twiddling their thumbs all season.

So we got caught in a bit of a no man's land, then shot ourselves in both feet by first appointing a manager with zero track record of navigating no man's lands followed by another manager with no track record of managing a club bigger than mid table.

By complete coincidence, the financial gap is closing at exactly the same time as we have had the good sense to appoint a manager who is renowned as an excellent coach, has genuine gravitas and - perhaps most importantly - has an excellent working relationship with the man whose job it is to phone the young talent in the first place.

There is a long road ahead still and the on field gap has widened enormously over the past 4 years, but we are marching in the right direction at last.

20. humanbeingincroydon