1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours transfer thread fact and fiction

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by remembercolinlee, Feb 1, 2017.

1. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

Actually it does

When we spend £35m we need an RoI, which is why we've only spent that on Sanchez, Ndombele and Lo Celso*
    When Chelsea spend £35m they don't have to concern themselves with the RoI as they have a bottomless pit of Russian cash sloshing about, so they can happily waste cash if it keeps an asset from somebody else - which is a similar way that Man Utd, The Sheikh Mansour Team and Los Ladrones do Madrid operate, to give three examples

2. BobbyD

BobbyD President

Why do you need an RoI.

Maybe in the past to make yourselves bigger and better but now you have the stadium built, you are selling out on some absurdly high tickets and you have money coming in like no tomorrow in the PL.

Your club is making profits every year, some of that can be reinvested as a good business does and thats from a financial point of view, not a footballing one

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  3. BobbyD

BobbyD President

Have to agree with you here. Ollie is the long term signing. Cavani is only worth it if yoi think he can help you get top 4 which is worth an extra 30-40m

4. humanbeingincroydon

We need an RoI because we have neither a billionaire happy to throw money at the club to drag us into title contention nor a large pile of money propping up the club based on a period of sustained success in recent history, so if we spend money we need it to pay off because, if it doesn't, that affects our position to spend that same money down the line

And that's what people tend to ignore: there's been various points in our recent history where we've had to write off a lot of cash due to a rogue DoF happily spending somebody else's money without any plan of how they'd fit into the team (and that happened twice), both times needing us to expensively reassemble our team within a year while also trying to offload a bunch of those players signed

And that's the thing, we're a year behind on a squad rebuild as it is, and we need as much ready cash to make that happen - and as we don't have a money pit like other clubs, that's another reason we need an RoI, as (for example) while we'd probably get around £5m if we offloaded Wanyama we'd also free up some wages, and that's the key part of our balancing act right now
    Cost of Atleti's stadium: €240m
    Cost of Spurs' stadium: £850m

Yeah, those are comparable figures...

5. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

I’ve been a huge fan of Ollie’s since his Exeter days mate. He’s taken to the Championship with ease these last few seasons and is now second top scorer I think.

Cavani right now is definitely the better player, no question about it, it’s just his injuries this season would be a cause for concern.

6. humanbeingincroydon

One issue with Watkins is that he's already 24, so he's at the point where he needs to hit the ground running if he signed for us - and as it stands that can't be guaranteed, and while that may not be his fault given our inability to get the ball forwards for large stretches of games, Watkins would be scapegoated for this from the outset

...okay, another problem, I can picture the Harry ****espout headline screaming about how Levy's so cheap he "only" signed a Championship striker rather than spend billions in cloning a perfect replica of prime Jimmy Greaves

7. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Cavani wouldn't join us. He wants to play and he wouldn't be guaranteed a start when Kane returns.

8. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

I think any striker that joins essentially needs to hit the ground running, whether they're an experienced winner like Cavani or someone looking to establish themself like Watkins. I just think based on our usual mantra and where our best signings tend to come from, Watkins would make more sense than most options I've seen so far.

I'll fight those that would potentially scapegoat him so it's all good, leave it with me.

9. KingHotspur

KingHotspur Well-Known Member

The usual mantra is gone.

Jose Mourinho is manager now, Ollie Watkins as new ST? Never ever going to happen.

10. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

Jose hasn’t joined Bournemouth...so I dont see why he should have to act like he has.

He will leave before he morphs into another Little penny pinching Levy Clone

11. bigsmithy9

bigsmithy9 Well-Known Member

Or just plain lucky!

12. KingHotspur

If only Spurs had a net spend like Bournemouth <laugh>

Although they’re an example of how not to spend money, they’ve got a lot of flops there

13. The Changing Man

The Changing Man Well-Known Member

Thats their problem, Eddie Howe maybe a reasonably good coach, but their recruitment has generally been very poor, with all their most consistent performers being the players that have been there a while.

I said at the start of the season that if their home form dropped off they would struggle and that has been case, and whilst I know plenty in the media have bought into the 'Eddie Howe' myth and think he deserves the chance to turn it round, I think that if they do they are doomed.

14. Somebodys pinched my sombrero

Somebodys pinched my sombrero Well-Known Member

Excuse me for interrupting, but what are your thoughts on Bentaleb? Having a medical at Newcastle atm.

15. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

In the last 5-10 years he’s the second best player we’ve developed after Kane.

Very good all round midfielder who doesn’t have any major glaring weaknesses. We initially played him as a defensive mid but he seemed to do really well when playing more advanced for Schalke.

His only down point is his attitude. It’s why we sold him and it’s why he hasn’t played for Schalke this season.

If you get a fully committed Bentaleb, he’s a great player. He’s better than all our current CMs bar Ndombele.

16. Somebodys pinched my sombrero

Somebodys pinched my sombrero Well-Known Member

I’ve heard his attitude is a bit dodgy.
    Cheers for that <ok>

17. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Hopefully it works out for him/ you. Always like seeing our old academy lads do well. Seriously was/ is a good player but his ego ruined it for him here, he’d probably still be at Spurs or been sold for £50m+ by now if he just knuckled down.

18. Citizen Kane.

Citizen Kane. Well-Known Member

Inter's President has confirmed that they have submitted an official bid for Eriksen. Sky seem to think it is €11m plus two performance-related add-ons. If those add-ons are linked to tackles per game, we're fecked.
    Meanwhile plenty of journos (giornos?) in Italy are running with €15m plus one add-on.

Given the fact that PSG are demanding £25m for a player 6 years older and with a terrible injury record, I'm a tad miffed at the fact that we are so obviously being done. But at the same time, I just want this whole saga to be over with. Hopefully this triggers a domino effect in what's left of the window.

19. humanbeingincroydon

Dybala Watch
    Right, I need a burlap sack, some rope, a van, and four burly blokes to put him in a sack, tie it up, chuck him in a van and get him to Spurs Lodge...

20. KingHotspur

That photo is from last month when he was in London