1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours transfer thread fact and fiction

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by remembercolinlee, Feb 1, 2017.

1. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

That number could potentially be much lower if clubs' main outgoing, wages, were reduced - but no, the PFA knew better than anyone else...

2. Billy The Spur

Billy The Spur Well-Known Member

Maybe not, but we have low balled clubs and tried to take advantage of their struggling financial situation, rather than just paying a fair price (or close to it) to get a deal done quickly. There were rumours Levy bid £8m for Grealish in the midst of Villa`s financial problems, when Villa were demanding around £25m - £30m at the time. The offer was dragging on all window as Levy played his usual brinkmanship cards, but Villa were then rescued and we missed out on a top player who is now being touted at £50m.

KingHotspur and Lovearsenalcock like this.
  3. PowerSpurs

PowerSpurs Well-Known Member

If Grealish was such a bargain why did no one else even bid? The laws on company takeovers are very clear. No asset can be sold while a bid is being discussed. So you have one example which doesn't stand up to scrutiny.
    I say again...find a single example of a player where we made a bid of a third of the price someone else actually paid soon after. You can't because it has never happened!

humanbeingincroydon likes this.
  4. humanbeingincroydon

Wait, wait, wait...I've got one

We only offered £5m for Gareth Bale (actually £10m, but apparently add-ons and/or Tommy Forecast don't count...) and he ended up going to Los Ladrones for £90m a few years later

5. BobbyD

BobbyD President

depends what you mean by soon after.

Chelsea did brilliantly selling off KDB and Salah as they weren't any good when we had them (i believe grealish is in this situation)

6. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Chelsea had to sell De Bruyne, because Courtois shagged his missus.
    They picked one and, in my opinion, made the wrong choice.

7. PowerSpurs

As you know I am responding to a claim that we are about to offer a third of a players value and that will upset the selling club and mean we will lose out to another club. The poster implied this was Levy's standard way of operating. I simply asked for some evidence for this. As far as I can see if the manager really wants a player we generally sign him. I have to say that other clubs' fans describing Levy as tight fisted is often straightforward anti-semitism.

BobbyD likes this.
  8. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

I don't think that this is necessarily true. The suggestion that he's some kind of spiv is, however.
    Levy's a notoriously tough negotiator.

9. humanbeingincroydon

There's certainly a degree of it on Twitter, not least from noted Lunatic Fringe account BankruptSpurs

10. Blue and White

Blue and White Well-Known Member

I actually do agree with this statement.

Because in actual fact are we much different from other clubs that need to watch their expenses ( and thus I exclude the likes of Chelsea, City, and United)?
    From today's gossip on BBC: Everton have made a £40m move to sign midfielder Allan, 29, but Napoli want closer to £60m for the Brazilian

11. Billy The Spur

Billy The Spur Well-Known Member

How do you know no other club made a bid, how do you know the point at which Villa takeover discussions began? You don`t, not everything (true or false) is presented in the media. If you read what I wrote properly, you would realize I wasn`t giving an example of the above, but rather an example of how Levy allegedly operates. You also have no idea if we have ever made a bid (or not) for a player, who was sold for 3 times that bid soon after, unless of course you have a seat in the Spurs boardroom, which you don`t.

KingHotspur likes this.
  12. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

I think it just shows how far you will go to defend him

Just because he’s a Jew doesn’t mean his finances are above scrutiny and ‘Tight fisted’ is not a phrase exclusive to Jews....unless one of my brother’s is a Jew aswell and I don’t know about it.

Last edited: May 26, 2020
    KingHotspur likes this.
  13. humanbeingincroydon

Meanwhile, up in Scotland, Gordon Strachan is saying more clubs should turn professional

Do people actually understand how mathematics work? Case in point, as so many Scottish clubs are run on a shoestring budget, turning professional would greatly increase their wage bills - so if a club is run on such fine margins, what sort of idiot would suggest a sudden, drastic increase to their wage bill?

Oh, right, Gordon Strachan...

14. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

Everyone has to watch their spending...even the Sultan of Brunei has to watch what he’s spending before he spends it all....but there’s spending like the amounts those clubs you mentioned spend and there’s spending a club of our finances should be doing but don’t do.

To suggest we can’t be pouring more into building our first team is absurd. The same people that were promising the financial tide to turn after the stadium move seem to be the same ones coming up with the massive excuses now or whenever we approach out transfer aims in what seems like a not very serious manner.

Billy The Spur and KingHotspur like this.
  15. humanbeingincroydon

Nobody was promising that, the moment the stadium opened, we'd suddenly have triple the transfer and wage budget

Look at the Emirates: the stadium opened in 2006, but it wasn't until January 2009 where Arsenal started to splash the cash when they paid £15m for Arshavin - and their summer spending for the previous two windows was dependant on them cashing in on Henry and Hleb

16. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

You could ask that question about a number of players though, for instance why didn’t anyone else bid for Kante when Leicester picked him up for £5.5m? Or Liverpool when they got Robertson for just £8m or so? We’ve had some good bargains over the years too, it’s often down to either good scouting or the need of a potential buyer looking at a specific type of player.

Also as for the takeover, our first (possibly our second too) bid was before Villa were in talks, it’s why Bruce then gave the interview saying how he expected Grealish (among others) to go as the club were in dire straits financially.

It’s true that you’d be hard pressed/ impossible to find an example of us bidding a third of a player’s price prior to them leaving but with regards to Grealish, it was something we horrendously messed up and it’s resulted in someone whom we could/ should have signed for circa £15m likely going a couple years later now for around £50m.

Billy The Spur likes this.
  17. humanbeingincroydon

Is everyone forgetting that Grealish was in the last year of his contract when we bid for him?

...yes, everyone has forgotten that Grealish had just one year on his contract when we bid for him

18. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

He had two years, his deal ran until 2020 before he signed the extension to 2023.

Diego, Billy The Spur and KingHotspur like this.
  19. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

It's a Jewish stereotype and something of a dog-whistle, though.
    It's something that you hear leveled at Levy a lot more often than Mike Ashley, for example.
    Here's one example that most people would find tricky to use as an example of antisemitism:
    https://www.thejc.com/comment/comme...ired-daniel-levy-outrageous-chutzpah-1.493374

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  20. PowerSpurs

I completely agree and phrased my answer wrongly. It is a fact though that no one bought him.