1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Travel requirements to the EU

Discussion in 'Watford' started by oldfrenchhorn, May 16, 2021.

1. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

2. yorkshirehornet

yorkshirehornet Well-Known Member

I understand that for 'owners' bills etc are acceptable
    BUT

After the EU declaration yesterday it will not be likely that these will be needed.....
    AND
    The UK cannot stop people going to amber list countries

I very much hope that in a month or so ...they will ease the rules too...

3. yorkshirehornet

Here is a pdf summarising the latest guidance re French customs

Attached Files:

4. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

That looks like a total nightmare. Even more paperwork to prove value and ownership. When we moved over the removal company had experience of European relocations, and lists were compiled as boxes were put into the van. The man in charge said they would be certainly pulled in and checks done as it was a UK registered lorry and had a darn great Union flag on the side. They were pulled in on the autoroute near Tours, and although no search was done the paperwork had to be shown. This was while we were still in the EU of course.

5. yorkshirehornet

Currently the Customs are not too bothered on entry apparently..... but it could well change

6. J T Bodbo

J T Bodbo Well-Known Member

No quite the same discussion, but I have a question for you.
    if you wished to return and live in the UK, do you know what 'tests' you have to pass in order for it to happen ?

7. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

None as far as I know. As a retired UK citizen I would have a right to live there and once I had an address there would be able to have full access to the NHS rather than the partial status I currently have. I cannot at the moment think of any other difficulties.

8. J T Bodbo

J T Bodbo Well-Known Member

That's good to hear. Although why you would want to I cannot imagine.
    I understand that proof of income maybe be required.
    I have just discovered that it might be very difficult for our son, currently resident in Portugal, living a very simple life with minimal (but sufficient) income, to return and live in the UK with his Brazilian partner after 31/3/22. They would need proof of income (each), they would need a family visa ( also requires proof of income) and pass an (insulting)knowledge of the UK test etc etc. If they wished to come to look after his ailing parents, (the likeliest reason) and bring a child (Portuguese national , albeit with a UK passport - for what it is worth now) then they would have no income.
    I am despairing of the future.

9. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

I understand your despair. The distinction I made was that I was a retired which I believe has a different set of rules if you are a UK national. I have read about the situation with working age people trying to bring their families to the UK, and how the rules are having the effect of splitting them up, which shows how mean spirited the Home Office is. Although I am quite happy to be a documented resident of a country, and accept that it is necessary, I do not really wish to be tied to a particular country by accident of birth. Living and working where you will is one of the tests of being a free person. We have seen how badly treated the Windrush generation became because of lack of papers, yet the country seems to be heading in the same direction again by not giving proof of residency to those from the EU who are settled. Quite how you can be born in England, but not entitled to live there seems bizarre. I just hope that when all the madness of Brexit finally settles, things will become better for all those like your son and family, but I am afraid it will not happen overnight.

10. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

yorkshirehornet likes this.