1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Twitter thread

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by Sooperhoop, Jul 24, 2017.

1. QPR247

QPR247 Active Member

Remember this like it was yesterday, didn’t his wife (assume it was his wife) come down the steps and plant about 100 kisses on him while he looked really awkward??

2. NorwayRanger

NorwayRanger Well-Known Member

3. Sooperhoop

Sooperhoop Well-Known Member

4. Steelmonkey

Steelmonkey Well-Known Member

5. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

Verified account@JohnnyVegasReal 7h7 hours ago
    Follow Follow @JohnnyVegasReal
    Have to pick new headshot for employers to get a feel for me pre-casting. Surely this shows I’ve reached the age to play a no nonsense DCI with a troubled past, ex wife, current demons who doesn’t play by the rules book but gets the job done? (Or a Wetherspoon’s temporay manager)
    please log in to view this image

Uber_Hoop and Steelmonkey like this.
  6. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

I had the misfortune of having to attend an incident like this around fifteen years ago whilst working in the London Fire Brigade. We were called just after 7 am to a road traffic collision involing a lorry on the A3 close to the junction with the New Malden roundabout. It was a week or two just before Christmas. I knew it was bad because as I approached the A3 at Tolworth from my station at Surbiton the traffic was already backed up on all approaches. I was driving the truck and had to jink my way through the heavily built up traffic to the incident that was obvious in the distance. I had to allow the paramedic alongside me to go ahead as their smaller vehicle could make quicker progress.

Upon arrival we were confronted with a concertinered Nissan Cabstar between two lorries.

A Nissan Cabstar looked like this ...

please log in to view this image

The Nissan Cabstar was racing up the slip road adjacent to the A3 and was attempting to join the main carrigeway London bound. However there was an Argos lorry travelling in the same direction and upon seeing what the Nissan was attempting to do and didn't want him to get in front of him. He sped up and tried to close the entry onto the A3. Unbeknown to them because they were so busy concentrating on eachother they hadn't realised that the traffic up ahead was already at a standstill.

The cabstar beat the lorry onto the maincarrage way of the A3. But as the driver of this vehicle was too busy focusing on beating the Argos lorry in his wing mirror he hadn't noticed that the traffic had stopped. Neither did the Argos lorry. The Nissan Cabstar crashed into the back of a stationary lorry similar to that of the Argos one ( I can't for some reason remember what company it belonged too. ) The Argos lorry then went into the back of the Cabstar to further compound the initial impact at around 50 mph at a guess.

So we eventually arrive and I jump out to assess the situation, I was second in command for that shift. I jumped out and went to the drivers side of the Nissan Cabster and was confronted with a young lad writhing back and forth, I asked him his name. He replied Joey and I'm really hurting and in pain, my guts my guts. I grabbed his hand aand said don't worry Joey I'm going to get you out. The Paramedic arrived and started to work on him, in the meantime myself and my officer in charge went below the Cabstar and the lorry to assess the damage. We shone our torches as it was still dark and **** me his legs were bent backwards around the tow bar of the lorry. His feet were facing back against his body at the shins.His legs were snapped in half. We looked at eachother and said something like
    ' Oh ****! .'

I reported back to the Paramedic who told me that I had to drive the lorry away from him even if it meant ripping off his legs and that I had ten minutes or less to do it otherwise Joey was going to die. I climbed into the cab of the lorry and tried to drive it forward but the force of the impact had raised the lorry's rear wheels and it had no traction. I ordered any available crew members to hose ramp the lorry using any means necessary to gain that traction. I then tried to drive the lorry away again, to no avail. We tried again, but the lorry's wheels were so far off the ground that we had nothing at our disposal to gain the traction needed. I went back to the Paramedic who was this time joined by the air ambulance team to tell him that I wasn't even able to achieve this heinous act. A minute or so later Joey who was now silent, passed away.

In the passenger seat was his girlfriend who could see what was coming and managed to twist and turn in her seat. She was facing the nearside away from Joey but had suffered severe head injuries. The crew from New Malden station were dealing with that side of the vehicle while we from Surbiton dealt with the driver's side. Paramedics then abandoned Joey to work on his girlfriend and it took another hour and a half to cut her out. All through this time she hadn't realised Joey had died and kept rubbing his arm asking if he was ok? We tried to reassure her that he was as she couldn't see him as she was facing the opposite way. As well as this their mobile phones relentlessly rung. Harrowing.

When we eventually released the girlfriend we then had to cut free Joey and bag him up. As I placed him in the bodybag I can still clearly see this large flap of skin on his forehead flap open revealing his skull, I put it back and wondered how was he even concious after suffering such trauma when his head must have visciously connected with the locking mechanism of the lorry. Grim stuff indeed.

Until this day there still remains a tribute at the crash site. This is the only link I can find to the incident ( Pre web days ) and can never convey the true horrfic nature of this type of incident. Joey was a 22 year old man who was a member of the travelling community.

https://www.surreycomet.co.uk/news/557797.the-one-and-only-joey-boy/

7. StortfordQPR

StortfordQPR Well-Known Member

Respect Nines <applause>

I could never do what you did

8. Sooperhoop

I seriously wonder how you guys do your jobs facing some of the scenes you arrive at, we take so much for granted but these are a breed apart. Guys like you and Staines really are different class.

As someone who is on the road all day it really pisses me off at the awful standard of driving especially on motorways, the only surprise is there aren't a lot more of these types of accidents...

9. Steelmonkey

Hats off to you Nines, that's a truly harrowing story - one that's obviously stayed with you over the years. Much respect <applause>

10. Stroller

Stroller Well-Known Member

****ing hell mate, I struggled to get through even reading that. Respect.

11. Goldhawk-Road

Goldhawk-Road Well-Known Member

Yes, huge respect, Nines. What a terrible thing to have to be faced with as a professional. I know the spot because I used to live in Surbiton. I'm sure it's stayed with you for a long, long time but hopefully the bad memories are fading fast.

12. Ninj

Ninj Well-Known Member

Massive resect to you. I know the A3 and that area very well, I grew up with Tolworth Towers visible from my bedroom window.

13. Ninj

Ninj Well-Known Member

Massive respect.

daverangers and QPR999 like this.
  14. Sooperhoop

For those of us old enough to remember, some legendary names on that list, many of whom were at their clubs for many years, now it can be a matter of months...

15. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

George Santos is 49 today, does anyone remember this tackle before he joined us?

NorwayRanger and kiwiqpr like this.
  16. QPR Oslo

QPR Oslo Well-Known Member

Ouch, I felt that now.

NorwayRanger and QPR999 like this.
  17. Staines R's

Staines R's Well-Known Member

How could I of missed this post, Rich. That job was discussed with us at training school at New Malden by one of the tutors who was on scene, to prepare us for some of the horrific situations we will come across. It sounded a harrowing job then, but to hear it in more detail from you truly brings it to life.
    Thanks for sharing mate, massive respect and gratitude to you for your years of service .

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
    daverangers, NorwayRanger and QPR999 like this.
  18. Steelmonkey

19. Staines R's

Staines R's Well-Known Member

Anyone who follows twitter.....Leon Knight is on a full on rampage against the Geordie Shore lot tonight.....****ing hilarious:)

20. Uber_Hoop

Uber_Hoop Well-Known Member

I don’t know what any of that means, Stainsey.

kiwiqpr and Staines R's like this.