1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Twitter thread

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by Sooperhoop, Jul 24, 2017.

1. QPR247

QPR247 Active Member

IMG_5350.JPG

Hope everyone on here made it home ok???

2. Steelmonkey

Steelmonkey Well-Known Member

TeD will be out looking for them, I'm sure

kiwiqpr likes this.
  3. Sooperhoop

Sooperhoop Well-Known Member

The Kindergarden Squad...<laugh>

KentGaz likes this.
  4. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

5. West London Willy

West London Willy Well-Known Member

Just had my review of the gig on Saturday retweeted by The Psychedelic Furs! Does that count?

Tramore Ranger and NorwayRanger like this.
  6. durbar2003

durbar2003 Well-Known Member

Not really, Groups that are selling tickets over here for $36 at Montclair Town Hall don't really count.

7. KentGaz

KentGaz Well-Known Member

8. KentGaz

9. KentGaz

NorwayRanger and QPR999 like this.
  10. Sooperhoop

This has to be some oxymoron...

11. Stroller

Stroller Well-Known Member

I was at that game. If I remember rightly, Marsh lost it after the full-back had fouled him. Once they'd calmed him down a bit, he just walked off the pitch before the ref could send him off.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  12. durbar2003

durbar2003 Well-Known Member

EXTRACTS FROM : MATCHDAY

• GETTING HOT UNDER THE COLLAR. LOOKING GOOD WITHOUT A COLLAR.
    QPR decided to take the opportunity to show off their new away kit. A good idea in theory but not in practice when the players are running around on a steaming hot August afternoon and the shirts are long sleeved and made of heavyweight cotton. In colour the shirts were red and black stripes, set off against black nylon shorts and black socks with a red top. (A fine choice of socks if I might be so bold.)

Rangers shirts had hitherto remained unchanged since 1959, I’m a great traditionalist but certainly no luddite. If something better comes along and you can integrate a traditional element into it, then so much the better. For Summer 1969, Rangers replaced their classic top with a simple but groovy jersey which I don’t think has been bettered since. Peter Hendry revealed to his Evening Times readers that these were no ordinary shirts but were made of a special lightweight fabric and had very high sleeves to combat the heat. Stylishly they had a very high neck detail and came in a clingy skinny fit. On the left breast was the clubs newly introduced ‘shirt’ badge an initialled GRFC. Not that the motif was strictly speaking new, the initials were based on a club logo which has been proven to date back to at least 1881.

I don’t know if these really did combat the heat but the simple colour scheme and stylish cut made it look the business. (and infinitely better without a sponsorship logo). The remainder of the kit comprised of white nylon shorts and blue socks with a white top. (Was there a sock swap pre match?)

EXTRACTS FROM : MATCH REPORT

75 mins : Rodney Marsh Goes Berserk.
    So far a really entertaining game, played in a good spirit despite the fact that both teams were working hard and playing competitively. A thrilling finale is set. Then… Kai Johansen attempts to slide tackle Marsh on the ‘Ellerslie Road’ touchline. Marsh’s dummy is too clever for him and he follows through. A bad but unintentional challenge. Both players tumble to the turf. Marsh then lashes out with his feet. He rises and continues his attack. Fed up with kicking him, he shakes him and throws a flurry of punches.

Other players rush to the incident and Bobby Watson of Rangers is quickest to reach the scene. Marsh turns his attentions away from the now prostrate Johansen and headbutts Bobby Watson in the face.

Eventually a fan, a photographer, 2 QPR officials plus a nervous looking linesman restrain the hysterical Marsh. The fan and the photographer deserve huge credit for intervening in a situation which was not theirs to deal with as the police and referee were perfectly happy to sit this one out.

Does the referee send him off? No. He merely wags his fingers and delivers a lecture to Marsh.

You would think that with hundreds of good Metropolitan Constables specially drafted in for fear of violence, one of them may have just witnessed an assault, not one does but they seem rather more interested in the Rangers fans voicing their fury at the appalling double assault.

For the moment I’ll leave you with the thought that John Greig and Willie Henderson might with hindsight have signed their newly ‘unemployed’ chum Ken Buchanan for the day – Mind you thank goodness, Marsh did not attack Willie Johnston. They could have sold out Wembley if he had.

Meanwhile the hapless Rangers physio has his work out as he simultaneously tries to treat both players.

Amazingly, once play restarts, Marsh bursts through powerfully and Gerhadt Neef dives bravely at his feet to save a certain goal.

To his credit, Les Allen then removes Marsh from the field replacing him with Frank Sibley. Whether his motive was to punish Marsh or protect him from any retribution it was a very good decision. It goes some way to assuaging the anger of the Rangers fans who raise a large cheer at his departure.

LAST 10 MINUTES

The remainder of the game is played with a bitter taste in the mouth. QPR do not seem to want to cause further upset to their guests, and Rangers for their part do not seem to be interested in making an exciting game of it anymore. Perhaps both sides under instructions to simply play out time.

FINAL SCORE : QPR 3 (Venables [pen], F Clarke, Morgan)
    RANGERS 3 (Henderson, Smith, Watson/Hunt)

Attendance : 16,752 well behaved supporters.
    But there’s always that mindless idiot who spoils it for everyone. This one was playing.

EXTRACTS FROM : POST MATCH REACTION

EXTRACTS FROM : READ ALL ABOUT IT

• PUNISHMENT
    Les Allen made no excuses for Marsh’s behaviour and fined him £50.

The QPR secretary, Ron Phillips told the West London Gazette. “We cannot allow retaliation by our players but one has to sympathise with Rodney Marsh. His legs are very badly scarred as a result of the tackle which led to the incident.”

In 1964 we heard about Red Star’s genius ‘Sekki’ Sekularac who served 2 suspensions of 18 months apiece. All I can surmise is that either they had to summons a division of the Yugoslav army or English football took a very liberal view of thuggery on the pitch. In another time and place, Marsh’s disgraceful antics could easily have sparked off a riot.

• FAN CULTURE
    Despite the heavy police presence the Rangers fans behaved magnificently all afternoon. There was estimated to be 4000 fans in the School End, and a few thousand more around other parts of the ground. Many more may have travelled had Jim Baxter been fit. They showed admirable restraint not ‘to become involved’ when Marsh

Read more: http://qprreport.proboards.com/thread/38620/piece-recalling-glasgow-rangers-1969#ixzz4sft2W9mm

13. Sooperhoop

Here's one our scouts obviously missed...:grin:

14. Uber_Hoop

Uber_Hoop Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure that was Robert Green in goal for most of them.

NorwayRanger, sb_73 and Sooperhoop like this.
  15. Sooperhoop

Who's this nutter?...<laugh>

16. Uber_Hoop

True, but that's what I love about him.

UTRs likes this.
  17. West London Willy

West London Willy Well-Known Member

Retweeted by Kevin Gallen :

"Number of Cologne fans trying to get in to the Emirates is now estimated to be around 350,000" - Diane Abbott

18. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

May I record my appreciation to all those who contribute to this thread. I firmly believe that 100% of all 'tweets' of genuine interest, and also all of the mildly amusing ones, are captured here, thus saving me the time and effort of ever needing to look at the 'twitter'.

Thank you all.

Tramore Ranger likes this.
  19. Uber_Hoop

Agreed.

Tramore Ranger likes this.
  20. Steelmonkey

Steelmonkey Well-Known Member

Worrying....

Screenshot_20170915-112442.jpg