1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

U23 Fixture List

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by Doc, Aug 1, 2019.

1. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Now 3 wins, 2 draws and a loss. Hull beat us 1-2 and it was a game of 2 halves with Leeds carrying on from where we left off against Watford. But went in at half time level on 1-1 but the 2nd half we were useless, lax, seemed like we couldn't string a pass together. Ayling got 70 minutes and looked good but should have scored, Clarke was our best player, Edmondson got one chance all game but blew it, young McKinstry was awesome in the first half but never got the ball in the 2nd half. Casey was solid and scored from a set piece, young McCarron came on in the 2nd half and looked great but wasted almost everything after that. Kun came on and linked with Edmondson but was too late to wake the lads up. Disappointing game and Hull will be loving it because they were like rabbits in the headlights at half time. Leeds could have been 4 up in the first half and not sure what the hell happened in the 2nd.
    Could have been top of the league now but hey ho, we cant play that bad again

leeds60 likes this.
  2. Whitejock

Whitejock Well-Known Member

3. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Along with 3 top prospects from the 23s

Whitejock, Gessa and Irishshako like this.
  4. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

5. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

3 wins, 2 draws and 2 lost in 2 weeks sees Leeds do what the first team have done. Sliding backwards when we should be top of the league.

Leeds Utd 1-2 Crewe

Irishshako likes this.
  6. Whitejock

Not a lot to write home about today, performance-wise. Not sure if we were bad, they were good, or both.

Clarke played 1st half and tbh, prolly put in his best performance of the season. Well, in as much as he seemed interested. No end product. Bit puzzled if he'll be on the bench tomorrow night. He drove off after the match, which confused me. As you know, Bielsa has training at same time as the next ko. I would have expected him to join the first team squad if he's on the bench. Puzzler.

Crewe had Paul Green playing as their lone striker. Didn't realise it was him. Thought he'd retired a long time ago. I remarked when he got subbed that he looked remarkably like Green, only to be told it actually was him! Must be 40 now, surely? Wasn't he knocking on when he left us?

We've signed a new goalie! Had a long chat with him. 16yo Cooper Skerry, I think his name was. He was backup 'keeper for the u23s. It's taken a while for his paperwork to get sorted out. Comes from the Gold Coast, Australia. Wonder if that's close to any of our Aussie chaps. He's given me some detail on Huffer. Huffer has returned to training, but still has damage to his hip & arm, so is only allowed to dive to one side. No idea how long it'll take him to recover. Must have been seriously injured. Surprised the club has never mentioned it.

Spoke to Barry Douglas for a while. One question I asked him is why we never use a long throw - don't we have anyone capable? Interesting response - there are several with the capability, but we don't do it. Not Bielsaball, end of. Now we know.

Had an interesting conundrum during the match. We got an indirect free kick virtually on their goalpost. The ball was moved out to the 6 yd line for the kick & the opposition bench were going mental, claiming (rightly) that that was not where the infringement took place. I mused that the opposition players should have been 10 yds away - i.e. on the other side of the back post, and if they stood behind the goal line, they'd need the ref's permission to come back on the field. But no, they were allowed to stand on the goal line & the free kick came to nothing. I spoke to the ref after the match (looked like he was a 14yo, btw!), and ..... well, not going to reveal the conversation until I hear what our resident ref has to say. Go for it, @JonnyLosAngeles ! :)

FORZA LEEDS, Jammy 07 and Doc like this.
  7. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Agree with WJ it wasn't fantastic and none of the first teamers stood out, and to make the defence problems worse they scored 2 goals due to errors. The penalty was caused by Gotts I believe who didn't clear his lines just left of the box and hit it straight to them who switched it and they attacked the box, penalty....

Berardi, Clarke, Douglas and Ayling not fantastic.

No Stevens which was a shame due to his ban, Gotts was ok and pleased Kun got on because he was the real impetus in the second half

FORZA LEEDS, Jammy 07 and Whitejock like this.
  8. Whitejock

Oddly enough, we seem to be short of wingers!! Started with Clarke & McCarron. Clarke was fairly poor, as previous post, & McCarron was too. Indeed, he was being shouted at by Carlos throughout the match - all about what he should & shouldn't be doing. Have to say that he largely ignored him, but tbh, I had no idea what Carlos was trying to say either, & I was 2yds away from him, not 50yds. Clarke was subbed at half time, which meant that Bogusz moved out to the wing. He's not a winger! End of.

Have to report that once again that Leif Davis didn't put a foot wrong. CB 1st half, LB, 2nd half. His time must be coming, surely?

FORZA LEEDS likes this.
  9. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Struijk was missed because young Cresswell played and did ok but not Struijk. Struijk on the bench tomoz I wonder

Whitejock likes this.
  10. Whitejock

Aye, no sign of Struijk. Think he's a bench fixture now. Wonder if he'll alternate with Berra - one on bench, the other playing u23? Berra had a wrist heavily strapped, btw. Do you think he might have injured it jumping out in front of the drunk Direby drivers? <whistle>

Cresswell came on just before half time. Looked ok alongside Casey, who has really impressed me this season. Casey played at the back on his own for a large part of the second half, 1 on 1 with the striker. Extremely high risk strategy. I've only seen the like on time added - this was most of the second half! The boy coped well. :D

Doc likes this.

11. FORZA LEEDS

FORZA LEEDS Well-Known Member

Not really a high risk strategy considering he was up against 74 year old lone striker Paul Green :biggrin:

12. Whitejock

LOL. Think he had waddled off by this time. :)

Just checked, btw. Only 36. Must admit I thought he was older.

FORZA LEEDS likes this.
  13. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

14. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Leeds Utd 0-0 Birmingham City

They are down to 10 men and we could have scored a couple but so too could they. Looking at this squad there are 10 U18s. No Struijk through injury Im hearing which means Struijk and Cooper are out. Meslier plays which means Miazek on the bench tomoz and Jack Clarke in the squad too as the 5th loan player.

Josh Galloway is a new baby signed last week from Carlisle and he plays at the back today

2 pennth, Irishshako and FORZA LEEDS like this.
  15. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Disappointing 0-0 against a strong Birmingham City. sloppy game all a bit frenetic but heavy pitch needing a long stud. Inly young kids though so a good learning experience for them and the most senior Leeds player was Edmondson who barely got a sniff all night.

Cresswell was MOM with Casey not far behind. Bogusz should have scored a couple, Josh Galloway on his debut was good and bombs forward young Alfie was skipper

Won 3 drawn 3 lost 2

Whitejock, FORZA LEEDS and Irishshako like this.
  16. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

We have a strong Birmingham outfit again today down at their place. great to see Jordan Stevens back in the squad and Pablo playing first half

17. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Won 3 drawn 3 lost 3

18. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Tonight 7pm at Elland Road against Burnley. We need to sort our **** out as the league table doesn't show league and national championship form yet

6E62878E-43F8-4DAA-BC65-40C555ACDAA1.jpeg 6E62878E-43F8-4DAA-BC65-40C555ACDAA1.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
    FORZA LEEDS and Irishshako like this.
  19. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

15 Minutes gone 0-0 but we look great

FORZA LEEDS likes this.
  20. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

1-0 Leeds Edmondson at half time. Great ball from Bogusz

FORZA LEEDS and Eric Le Merde like this.