1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic UK politics and brexit ramblings

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Garlic Klopp, Dec 3, 2018.

1. moreinjuredthanowen

I have read into it!

The fact is the DUP are only interested in keeping NI in the UK.

The fact is the backstop is in effect day 1 but regulations on 29th March 2019 will still be in effect until the UK change them as the intent is to "scratch out" EU reg" and call them UK regs. It stops us faffing about having a right laugh having free trade but selling in cheap nasty ****e form wher ever thats full of hormones and angeldust or whatever it is the EU doens't like.

(yes i'm being facetious now)

The issue is clear. Internal UK checks based on certain things like foot and mouth of whatever are not the issue. they are a smoke screen used by both sides.

The reality is that a person can land in Dublin airport, take a train to belfast and a ferry or plane to wherever i nthe UK.

A business can send a truck of whatever from dublin through UK to dover to get into france or send a truck to the UK depending on what the goods are. The EU are clearly stating to keep an "open border" you need

a) common regulations. hence border down irish sea argument or laterally whole uk alignment argument
    b) some means to catch people who are not irish passports (common travel area) landing in the south and travelling to the north free and easy and circumventing the free movement of people issue. The UK wants this but the EU wants the 4 freedoms.

the deal on offer here is to kick us out, no more. Its kicking us into the holding area until we leave the no mans land fully or come back towards the EU with trade deal. If we choose to sit there crying to ourselves the EU doesn't care... thats why it has a backstop.

The concept that a trade deal will negate the backstop depends on one very fundamental issue.... The brexiteers don't want a close deal which is norway. thats in effect same regs.

They say canada (johnson) cos they think that entitles them do do whatever they like with regs.

the issue keeps coming back to that border. Its not closable but equally you can't keep it open and deliver what the brexiteers want.

thus we keep spiralling round and round.

Can't close it... with a deal... backstop.
    Can keep it open.. cos brexiteers won't wear it.

2. moreinjuredthanowen

Not sure where you are going there.

If may tells the DUP to stick it she is then into election.
    If may tells the irish to take northern ireland it'd take years just to have referendums on united ireland.

A nuke or 6 would be simpler... and cause less overall blowback form the DUP explosion of hot air ;)

3. LuisDiazgamechanger

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
  4. Solid_Air 2

Solid_Air 2 Well-Known Member

actually i replied to this from Carl

The government are forcing us down options which are all detrimental to our prosperity.

and my point was it wasn't the Govt but the vote that has forced the decisions which will impact adversely on us economically.

Tobes and moreinjuredthanowen like this.
  5. moreinjuredthanowen

Travel chaos in the airports. Will check be on their ends or ours?

I presume we end up in the rest of world queue and must present passport.. its hardly much change.

6. Solid_Air 2

FFS it wasn't serious <laugh>

7. LuisDiazgamechanger

7euro is a small price to pay every three years. My suspicion is that it would be difficult to repatriate criminals to Britain from European
    countries.

8. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

How often do you visit the UK?

9. moreinjuredthanowen

what's the fee we are charging to let eu citizens in. 50k?

seriously though crims who leave can stay left

10. LuisDiazgamechanger

From where?<laugh>France I suppose?:afro:.:police::emoticon-0172-mooni

Zanjinho likes this.

11. Solid_Air 2

don't fully agree but yep in general .
    Evne ignoring NI she would struggle to get a deal thru the HOC due to the amount of alignment which will be required and that problem gets worse when we get to the "more difficult" matter of the trade deal.

12. moreinjuredthanowen

She needed a 100 seat majority.

Or the ruling in court to be no meaningful parliment vote

At this point she's trapped and so are the ordinary folk

13. Solid_Air 2

she in effect had one until she called the GE & labour did much better than they expected so suddenly Corbyn & his backers now think instead of just changing the the party rules to increase the chances of a left wing leadership they might actually gain power . Prior to that Labour was supine in all Brexit related votes which were all passed with huge majorities.

14. moreinjuredthanowen

I think she believed it wasn't enough and though she could get 30 or 40 level majority. Big mistake.

I believe at least some of where she's ended up in negotiations is down to placating dup.

At this point I firmly believe Labour are fighting for own advantage not the country

15. Solid_Air 2

she has ended up where she is because she refused to take the hard decisions & face down the arch brexiteers early on.She has consistently thrown away the few cards we held just to give the appearance of progress. Pretty much all of them have been playing party politics (Tories internal and later Labour just general party politics) and screw the damage to the country.
    They can all go & just **** right off as far as i'm concerned at next GE.

jenners04 likes this.
  16. moreinjuredthanowen

I dunno.

Tbh I think she wanted them sideline but it was always a compromise candidate with a compromise cabinet with the pissers in it pissing in and out at once.

I'm not quite sure what cards she had to be quite honest. The fact remains the eu is 6 times the size of the UK and driven by German economy.

If you read corbyns statement today he s just pissing all over the only deal in town calling it dead in water.

It's only dead cos he won't take votes off table and let it pass.

As a result we will end up with no deal.

The only card left to may is a bypass the parliament move with referendum with no deal exit or her deal as only options.
    That respects prior vote but gives her s half shot at avoiding nuclear disaster

17. moreinjuredthanowen

brexit or ?
    "Up to 5,000 roles at JLS could go in 2019, say analysts.
    Jaguar Land Rover is planning to announce thousands of job cuts in the new year as part of a £2.5bn savings plan to ward off the threat from Brexit, falling sales in China and a drop in demand for diesel cars."

18. Red Hadron Collider

Red Hadron Collider The Hammerhead

Increasing murmurs about a second referendum. Bring it ****ing on <ok>

Tobes likes this.
  19. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

I can’t see how else this ends tbh.

Her deal won’t get through the House. No deal won’t either and not even this shower would inflict that on the nation, as they know fine well it’d be complete chaos and they’d pay the political price for a generation.

So what ends the impasse? There’s no chance of consensus in the House and the EU are firm that the withdrawal deal negotiations have ended anyway. So postponing the exit date and a second vote will become increasingly the only practical conclusion imo.

20. Red Hadron Collider

Red Hadron Collider The Hammerhead

May's reasoning behind no second referendum "The country would lose faith with parliament". That happened ****ing years ago <laugh>

Tobes likes this.