1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Under 23's - 2017-18 season

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by John Ex Aberdeen now E.R., Jul 20, 2017.

1. Steven Toast

Steven Toast Well-Known Member

<laugh> well then, he wasn't that unlucky. I'd like to see him used more, going to be tough though with so much competition. I'm sure he'll have a role to play.

SydneyTiger14 likes this.
  2. SydneyTiger14

SydneyTiger14 Well-Known Member

It's definitely a tough one, and part of the reason I don't get why we bought so many CMs.

Chazz Rheinhold likes this.
  3. John Ex Aberdeen now E.R.

John Ex Aberdeen now E.R. Well-Known Member

Good to see the U23's win again, doubly pleasing Jackson got a game and scored twice. I understand Leo was watching, so will give him food for thought.

I'm really missing watching the U23's more than the first team, sad indictment of the malaise at the club these days. Wait a minute, I forgot it's all our fault for bullying the Allams.

dennisboothstash likes this.
  4. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

The Tigers' Under-23s took their unbeaten run to six games as Jackson Irvine scored twice in a 3-2 victory against Huddersfield Town at North Ferriby on Monday night.

Goals from Jackson Irvine and Greg Olley gave Jon Beale’s side a deserved two-goal lead at the break. But the Terriers produced a much-improved second half display, scoring twice in the space of three minutes - through Olly Dyson and Micah Obiero - to level the scores with eight minutes still to play.

The Tigers weren’t to be denied though, producing a fantastic response to regain the lead three minutes after the restart as Irvine bagged his second of the evening with a fine finish to secure all three points.

For the second game running there were seven changes to the Tigers’ starting line-up. Goalkeeper Will Mannion made his first appearance of the Professional Development League campaign, whilst Irvine was also given a run out. Robbie McKenzie, Adam Curry, Ben Hinchliffe, Greg Luer and Tyler Hamilton all returned to the side.

On a blustery night early chances were at a premium. Isaac Marriott fired over for the visitors whilst Luer saw his well-struck shot tipped over the bar by Terriers’ keeper Ryan Schofield.

Hinchliffe fired wide after great play from Hamilton before Luer fired straight at Schofield as he met Greg Olley’s cross from the left as the Tigers began to take control.

And midway through the first half though, the Tigers found the goal they deserved. Tyler Hamilton engineered the space down the left flank, took the ball to the byeline before cutting the ball back into the area for Irvine to sweep home from 12 yards.

Hinchliffe went close from Brandon Fleming’s corner, firing narrowly wide on the volley, and Dan Batty saw a goal-bound effort deflected over the bar before Jon Beale’s side doubled their lead ten minutes before the break. Hamilton was once again the provider as he found Olley inside the box, who created room for himself before finding bottom corner of the net with a cute finish.

Olley picked up a knock in the closing stages of the first period and was replaced during the interval by Tom Dyson.

After being second best throughout the first 45 minutes, the visitors were stung into action after the break and came close to pulling a goal back early in the second half when Mannion was unable to hold Lewis O’Brien’s shot from outside the box but the goalkeeper recovered superbly to block Cedwyn Scott’s effort from the rebound.

Carvalho then produced a mazy run into the box but was unlucky to see his shot come back off the post as the Terriers enjoyed a sustained spell of pressure.

At the other end of the pitch, Hamilton fired wide at the far post and Luer was denied by Schofield as the Tigers looked to add to their lead but they were pegged back as Huddersfield scored twice within three minutes.

Olly Dyson reduced the deficit in the 79th minute as he met a cross from the right to convert from close range before substitute Micah Obiero levelled, firing a left foot shot high into the net past Mannion.

However, Jon Beale’s side recovered from that setback and grabbed the winner five minutes from time. Irvine superbly controlled Batty’s free-kick inside the box and volleyed an unstoppable effort past Schofield and into the net.

Hull City: Will Mannion, Josh Clackstone, Brandon Fleming, Dan Batty, Robbie McKenzie, Adam Curry, Ben Hinchliffe (Liam Edwards 86), Jackson Irvine (James Yates 90), Greg Luer, Greg Olley (Tom Dyson 46), Tyler Hamilton.
    Subs Not Used: Charlie Andrew, Tom Powell.

Huddersfield Town: Ryan Schofield, Jordan Thomas, Romoney Crichlow-Noble (Mason O’Malley 70), Isaac Marriott (Micah Obiero 76), Dylan Cogill, Rarmani Edmonds-Green, Regan Booty, Lewis O’Brien, Cedwyn Scott (Jack Boyle 59), Olly Dyson, Denilson Carvalho.
    Subs Not Used: Tadhg Ryan, Dom Tear.

5. Chazz Rheinhold

Chazz Rheinhold Well-Known Member

Game tomorrow night against Exeter at ferriby.

Bit weird but the ressies are playing after us on Saturday night. 7.30 kick off on a Saturday night. Can't see many staying for that on. A Saturday night.

6. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

Adam Curry has spoken of his delight at being back in action after long-term injury and believes he has returned ‘stronger and fitter’ than ever before.

The centre-back has been unfortunate with injuries since arriving at the Club from South Shields in November 2015 and missed the majority of the previous campaign with a knee ligament injury.

However - now back to full fitness - Curry made his long-awaited return to action in the Under-23s’ goalless draw with Burnley last month, before playing the full 90 minutes as Jon Beale’s side beat Huddersfield Town 3-2 at the Eon Visual Media Stadium seven days ago.

And speaking ahead of tonight’s Premier League Cup tie with Exeter City, Curry is pleased with the progress he has made so far this season and is now targeting an extended run in the side.

“Everything feels fine,” said Curry. “Hopefully - touchwood - I’m through the worst of it all now.

“I worked really hard during pre-season in Spain and I’m probably stronger and fitter now than I ever have been with all the work I’ve done in the gym.

“Yes, I’ve been unlucky but - as daft as it sounds - it’s been a good experience. I’ve learnt a lot about myself.

“I was quite nervous ahead of the Burnley game because it has been such a long time since my last match. Because of that, I just wanted to get it over and done with and out of the way.

“Last Monday’s game against Huddersfield was much different because I wanted to go out onto the pitch and enjoy it for what it is. This is my job and you have to enjoy it.

“All I need now is a good run of games. I just want to keep playing and keep getting minutes under my belt. If I can keep doing that, hopefully I can improve and develop and the team can keep winning games.

“It was a good win against Huddersfield last time out. For the majority, it was a good team performance and after conceding twice to let them back into the game, we did really well to recover and get the win.

“The character we showed after letting them back into the game, to get the win and then see it out speaks volumes about this group of players, and we need to show that again tonight against Exeter in the Cup.

“We’re six games unbeaten now and we’ve just got to it keep going. No matter what the team is on a Monday night, we’ve just got to go out and get the job done.

“If we play to the standards that we know we’re capable of on a consistent basis, we’ll keep getting the results we want.”

7. John Ex Aberdeen now E.R.

He's first team material in time. Really rate him.

8. John Ex Aberdeen now E.R.

9. John Ex Aberdeen now E.R.

10. John Ex Aberdeen now E.R.

Charlie Andrews joining Pickering Town on work experience.

Dan Batty joined Halifax on loan.

11. Chazz Rheinhold

Thought batty would get a higher loan than that. Disappointing really.

12. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

It's the conference, he can't go on loan any higher than that outside of a transfer window.

13. Chazz Rheinhold

Ta. Let's hope he gets a L1 loan in January.

14. John Ex Aberdeen now E.R.

As OLM said he can only go on loan at the moment outside FL. Though hopefully he will get game time there, which is better than bench warming which Jonny Edwards seems to have done most of the time at A Stanley this season.

15. John Ex Aberdeen now E.R.

please log in to view this image

Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
  16. John Ex Aberdeen now E.R.

At least the U23's won, well done lads. Seems Bowen and Clark were 2 of the better performers for the first team last night, Dan Batty scored on his debut for Halifax, maybe get one or two more U23's in the first team, at least you will get commitment.

17. TreeHugger

TreeHugger Well-Known Member

So that’s who they were. They were in the South Stand having a good time. They got told by the stewards to sit down even though they were at the front and nobody was in the 2/3 rows behind them ‍♂️

18. John Ex Aberdeen now E.R.

I wonder if Enab made them all pay for their entry tickets, like our academy players have to do?

19. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

Phil Buckingham @PJBuckingham
    One to keep an eye on is Keane Lewis-Potter. Only 16. Highly regarded by academy staff and starts for the 23s.

20. originallambrettaman

Staff Member