1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

United and Liverpool just fading empires!

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by fran-MLs little camera, Sep 10, 2015.

1. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...rd-is-just-a-clash-of-two-fading-empires.html

A Telegraph article suggesting that United and Liverpool are fading empires living on past glories and their worldwide profile who cannot compete with Chelsea and City. Worth putting up as a thread just for the title. :) United especially can probably recover using money alone, so we shouldn't order their gravestone yet, however they are in chaos and it doesn't look like Van Gaal is the manager to sort them out. Hate to say it, but Liverpool's fall from the big time is demonstrated by their attempt to purchase Saints. Do we think that they would have bought a bloc of Saints players in their glory days. This may be partly due to our improvement, but must be related to their failure to be attractive to the really big names.

Sorry, I may have to go and get some tissues. :)

2. Dark Lord SFC

Dark Lord SFC Well-Known Member

Very interesting article and highlights what we all suspect
    I think Manure will eventually buy their way back up if they continue to throw vast amounts of money at buying players, keeping a few and discarding most at a huge loss. However, the Glazers etc must at some point get suspicious at how much they are having to spend ....they are not stupid
    Liverpool have large resources but no where near that of Manure, so this isn't an option for them. Brenda's purchases have been very poor and I don't think he will survive the season or indeed XMas so all change again ready for another big spend in January to desperately get into Europe
    It's more like a soap opera than a football league

3. Missing Lambo

Missing Lambo Well-Known Member

A good mate of mine, a season ticket holder at Old Trafford for decades, made the observations last season that a) they'd got the wrong Dutchman and b) their current one would end up making Moyes look like the Messiah! It won't be another post-Busby meltdown, as they won't get relegated, but the wait for another championship could be a long one. As for Liverpool. Oh please. They take the title of most overrated club in the EPL. And OK, Brenda will get the bullet, but who in their right mind is going to be attracted to the job?

4. Onionman

Onionman Well-Known Member

I think that Manchester United need to wake up to the fact that Ferguson was a once-in-a-lifetime outlier. Love or hate the bloke, he was unique. Hoping that anyone else will do things as well is pointless and they need to accept a future a little like the last decade at Arsenal (always up there, never quite winning), probably until the sheiks and dodgy Russians become bored with their teams and move on.

Vin

Number 1 Jasper and Tommomo like this.
  5. fran-MLs little camera

I always thought United should have given Moyes a bit longer...after all, they gave Fergie the time after an initial poor start.

Number 1 Jasper likes this.
  6. Beddy

Beddy Plays the percentage

Sadly the paper is only echoing what a lot of football fans have been saying for quite a while.
    With the exception of Saints I cannot think of any of the top flight teams producing decent international players that have come through their own ranks. Liverpool a few years ago had them coming through year in year out.
    Add to the owner changes and the upheaval they have had in recent years it was almost bound to have an effect. From a personal point of view their recent purchases have not been what I would call in "the old Liverpool door die mentality" if there is such a thing that is.The mentality of the club does seem to be relying on old reputations to frighten clubs into surrender. As we all know that no longer applies with any football club anymore. Man Utd a few years back were prone to this when they were last relegated in the 70's so learned this lesson then the hard way.
    Football clubs seem to prosper and decline in cycles, nowadays with so much money about clubs tend to purchase their way out of trouble if they are in the top tier long enough that is. Although obviously not all clubs can go that way (ask Pompey) and has proved you cannot always buy yourself out of trouble.
    You still need the right manager as well as players. Do the likes of Liverpool, Man Utd or even Chelsea have the right managers for when things get tough? Or do they have managers that are good with already decent players but don't have the capability of actually building their own team in their own format?
    It is an interesting question for me at least, time will tell.
    However the question on all lips must be, will they be given time?

7. Che’s Godlike Thighs

Che’s Godlike Thighs Well-Known Member

They will both have glory in the future, but it will be because of rich owners rather than special managers.

8. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

It's true that Fergie was always going to be irreplaceable. But a decade without trophies won't be acceptable to Utd's owners. Arsenal managed to retain consistent top four status with relatively limited resources (relative to what the rest of the "big four" were spending, that is). Their board were apparently happy to tread water while they paid off the investment in the new Stadium. I doubt whether that will be acceptable to Man Utd's owners; with the money they've made available to Van Gaal, they'll expect trophies from either him or his successor; no one in the Man Utd manager's job will get the sort of indulgence Wenger has been given in North London.

9. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

Talkiing of fading empires, what about Milan? Second only to Real Madrid on the honours board in Europe but halfway down the table in a very poor Serie A. To a real lover of football it is very peculiar to see Chelsea as one of Europe's top dogs and AC absolutely nowhere.

10. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

Peculiar, but refreshing. Every team should get their moment in the Sun. Liverpool and ManU have had their 15 minutes of fame. From the present perspective, they may well never have it quite as good. I'm not weeping about it. :)

11. Schrodinger's Cat

Schrodinger's Cat Well-Known Member

Any chance the thread title can be changed from a ? to a couple of !!
    Just because it looks better that way :emoticon-0102-bigsm

12. TheSecondStain

I'm sure Fran wouldn't object. How about one ! as a compromise.? From my experience on here, Fran doesn't do anything to excess. :)

Schrodinger's Cat likes this.
  13. Schrodinger's Cat

Schrodinger's Cat Well-Known Member

Apart from biscuits.....

14. Romsey_Saint

Romsey_Saint Well-Known Member

Am sure Man Utd will sort themselves out at some point. Liverpool however are another story, I don't wish anyone the sack, but I dislike Brenda simply because he has changed so much from the person who managed Swansea so well to become the arrogant individual he now is. We see so often young footballers turned by the money and fame; but maturity and (lack of) intellect can be factors. Brenda has no such excuses.

15. TheSecondStain

...and this forum.? :)

16. fran-MLs little camera

I'm not on here all the time....I have to shop for biscuits occasionally. :)

17. TheSecondStain

I would have thought someone as smart as you would have got free home deliveries sorted out by now. :)

18. shoot_spiderman

shoot_spiderman Power to the People

Personally I think you need to get into that biscuit aisle and get up close and really involved with those biscuits.
    I particularly favour this approach at Waitrose. They have biscuits I didn't know existed and these have to be tested occasionally alongside the old favourites.
    Current No 1? Choco Leibniz

19. fran-MLs little camera

I love ChocoLeibniz, but only buy them on offer.

20. shoot_spiderman

shoot_spiderman Power to the People

If you want great biscuits and aren't prepared to spend big then you have to bake your own, which is the Southampton Way :)